A couple questions related to garb

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

A couple questions related to garb

Postby Svartroxi Angismar » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:37 am

Recently someone has asked me to make them a 'seven layered skirt' wanting to make sure I am thinking of the right thing. The immediate thing that comes to mind is essentially a skirt with seven layers all sewn together at or near the waistband. Is this what you guys think of as well or is there bel terminology that I am unaware of?

Next I have been asked to add some scalloping to the edge of a surcoat. As I have never done scalloping are there any tips from the pros that I can glean for this particular task.
Call me Ox, it's easier I promise.
Svartroxi Angismar
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2000
Realm: Rath
Unit: Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Hitting youse before youse hits me!

Re: A couple questions related to garb

Postby Arrakis » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:52 pm

Never heard of a Seven-layer skirt. They might be talking about like the bottom part of a Waffenrock or maybe a skirt of pteruges, like Romans sometimes wear.

Scalloping... I don't know exactly what you mean. If you mean "a scalloped border of another fabric, I recommend an appliqued facing, in this style: http://www.theriversend.com/uploads/Fit ... torial.pdf

If you mean making the edge of the surcoat itself do this: uuuuuuu along the bottom or something, I'd line the bottom part of the garment. Just lay two copies of the area to be scalloped on top of each other, sew them together 1/4" in from the scalloped edge, clip and turn, top stitch, and tack down at the seams.

Hope that helps; Good luck!

PS: Make sure you charge reasonable wages for yourself doing complicated stuff like this!
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb