Garb question from clueless new person

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Garb question from clueless new person

Postby Erezebet » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:22 pm

***Disclaimer***I have a ridiculous question that google can't seem to find the answer for. I am stupidly new to Belegarth, have recently made several abominations of swords, and am currently nursing a shield to the head wound. If this has been covered somewhere, please feel free to flog me with whatever is handy.

My group has suggested that I get some real live garb. I sew, so that part isn't a problem. However, everyone I see have been wearing very loose pant like substances. I am recovering from a serious leg injury and have a tendency to trip over anything baggy and loose (of course, I apparently have a tendency to trip anyway as evidenced by the injury). Is there anything against having more form fitting clothing? I don't necessarily mean Catwoman in latex tight but anything that isn't baggy?
Black Betty!
Erezebet
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 09 Sep 2010
Realm: Beornve
Unit: Children of Nidhogr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Aha! Oh wait, I'm dead again...

Re: Garb question from clueless new person

Postby Tiercel » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:37 pm

I wear very simple grey sweatpants (no logos or stripes of any kind) which are slightly split at the ankles. The best garb is always hand-made, I understand, but I'm just responding to your question of relative looseness.

A lot of loose-fitting garb is actually snug in all the right places, but that may not be apparent due to footwear. Look at this:

Not knowing whether you be male or female, there's always the option of period clothing that doesn't go all the way down to the feet. Kilts/skirts are fine if they're durable enough.

And, you know... there's always traditional pants (but not blue jeans). Image

There's nothing against wearing tight clothing, I suppose, as long as it doesn't look grotesque. :P (decided not to insert sample picture here...)
Last edited by Tiercel on Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiercel
Scout
Scout

Favorite Fighting Styles: Single Blue

Postby Peanut of Loderia » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:38 pm

No, there isn't. Looser clothing allows for greater movement when fighting and is easier to make than form fitting clothing that does the same. However, there are a (few) people out there that I've seen in hosen.

If you like baggier clothing but dont want to trip you can always make the pants shorter or put drawstrings on the bottom of the legs.

Edit: Tiercel makes a great point.
Peanut of Loderia
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Loderia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby Erezebet » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:56 pm

Ah, Good points. (I be female usually. I forgot that might make a difference)
I just want to be sure I don't make a garb faux pas. There only seems to be one or two female garb guides for actual fighting.
Black Betty!
Erezebet
Recruit
Recruit

Postby NessiePop » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:42 pm

There are VERY few rules as to what is and isn't acceptable garb. As long as it might possibly have been made before gunpowder was around (and in certain cases even that isn't a hard and fast rule, i.e. pirates) it's pretty much free game. I myself have fought in a dress several times, as well as once in a severely over-large tunic with no pants to speak of (compression shorts for modesty's sake only). It would probably be reasonable to mention my male-ness to put that into perspective.
War Chief of Clan McClung
NessiePop
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 18 Jul 2010
Realm: Crimson Fields
Favorite Fighting Styles: Blatant Lies

Postby No'Vak » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:09 am

The Good Book wrote:1. Garb

1.1 Garb is defined as the clothing to be worn by all participants of Belegarth.
1.2 Minimum garb is the basic requirements for all participants. Minimum garb is defined as.

1.2.1 A tunic or tabard covering the torso.

1.2.1.1 Neutral colored t-shirts, with no visible printing, or sports bras may be worn underneath a tunic or tabard.
1.2.1.2 Wearing nothing on the torso is acceptable for men.

1.2.2 Baggy pants or trousers covering the legs.
1.2.3 Skirts, Kilts, and Dresses are acceptable substitutes.
1.2.4 Footwear should be muted colors, boots are preferred athletic shoes should be of a dark color and not unnatural. Barefoot or Sandals are acceptable.
1.2.5 Any piece of modern equipment or clothing required out of medical necessity overrules the minimum garb requirements.

1.3 Forbidden items:

1.3.1 T-shirts that are brightly colored, white, with visible logos, with visible collars, and or visible pockets.
1.3.2 Camouflage or military issued cargo pants.
1.3.3 Modern jeans of any color.
1.3.4 Modern hats.
1.3.5 Any fabrics with modern prints.
1.3.6 Any realistic weapons.

Edit: Also nothing on the torso might be acceptable for women. Ask around.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Erezebet » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:32 pm

I wonder if "clumsy and prone to being tangled in own clothing" counts as medical necessity. I might go the skirt route as the worst that can happen is I end up de-skirted as opposed to tripping in my own pants legs (and now that I have said that, I fear the Gods of skirts and humor are having a meeting right now.) Thank you everyone for your help!
Black Betty!
Erezebet
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Arrakis » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:48 pm

Hosen or just moderately fitted worsted wool pants would probably be the way to go if you're trying to look medieval at all. As a girl, you can get away with wearing basically ANYTHING on the field and almost no one will call you on it, so don't worry about faux pas. ****, even guys get away with wearing a hippy skirt and a home-made shirt.

Got any particular look or concept you wanna go for?
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Todo » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:17 pm

I hear Underarmor is pretty sweet.
Akbar the Foul wrote:If only everyone had my sweet disposition, then we could all get along.

The Steak Jock with Python Arms
**** your petty arguments, I'm here to swing stick and look slick
Todo
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Stygia
Unit: Todoville
Favorite Fighting Styles: Hulk Hands

Postby Erezebet » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:52 am

Arrakis wrote:Got any particular look or concept you wanna go for?

I'm still working on that. I did a GIS on Belegarth. I am going to attempt to copy what appears to be the norm and just make it a bit more form fitting. If that doesn't work, then I'll try the underwear solution.
Black Betty!
Erezebet
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:24 am

I think some type of guarb should be worn at every practice. Public practices in guarb are a great recruitment tool. However, I also think guarb shouldn't be something you dread or feel forced to wear.

If you are just trying to "fit in", may I suggest sweat pants and a knee length top with slits in the front/back and/or sides up to the hip? It is minimal, you can move in it, and (depending on the fabric and cut) can be quite feminine or masculine.

As one variation on that idea, make the "fighting dress" above out of durable cloth and sleeveless with a scoop neck and fairly big arm holes. Add a shirt under it (not a t-shirt). The shirt can be a gauzy swashbuckler shirt in summer and warmer layers in winter.

I strongly encourage you to find a style that you like and run with it, whether that style is princess or pirate, monster or knight. But until that time, if guarb isn't your thing don't force it too much: make something simple that you can fight in and run with it. For practice, a belted tabard worn over a plain t-shirt and sweat pants with combat boots is still a big step up from t-shirt with words on it, blue jeans and tennis shoes.

Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Derian » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:47 pm

A lot of people have suggested sweat pants. Don't listen to them.

Find a pattern for, say, pajama pants; even something like Simplicity would be fine. If you don't want to spend money, this one doesn't look bad: http://www.craftandfabriclinks.com/pj/p ... ttern.html. Get a nice, neutral colored fabric that's not terribly expensive (unless you want to spend more) and go with that. It will look a hundred times better than sweat pants and perform the same function.

Also, don't worry about any kind of faux pas; Belegarth is large enough and old enough that someone, somewhere has done it before. As long as you're making a reasonable effort to be in garb, you'll get no guff. Who knows, you might even come up with something others will emulate.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Erezebet » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:08 pm

Thanks to all! I hit up my local Goodwill type shops and concocted a garb like outfit for the moment until I can actually sew something. I appreciate all of the suggestions and help.
Black Betty!
Erezebet
Recruit
Recruit

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb