Medieval where?

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Medieval where?

Postby Erezebet » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:38 pm

The title nearly sums it up already. I have read the garb rules but it doesn't cover the topic of location. Does medieval mean European Medieval or anywhere on the planet Medieval?
(There is also an excellent chance I'm over thinking the whole process. I'm brown and I can't help but think that if I happened to be around in the middle ages, I probably wouldn't be in Europe. Of course, I probably also wouldn't be prancing around with a sword and a shield either. )
Black Betty!
Erezebet
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 09 Sep 2010
Realm: Beornve
Unit: Children of Nidhogr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Aha! Oh wait, I'm dead again...

Re: Medieval where?

Postby Teej » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:49 pm

Erezebet wrote:The title nearly sums it up already. I have read the garb rules but it doesn't cover the topic of location. Does medieval mean European Medieval or anywhere on the planet Medieval?
(There is also an excellent chance I'm over thinking the whole process. I'm brown and I can't help but think that if I happened to be around in the middle ages, I probably wouldn't be in Europe. Of course, I probably also wouldn't be prancing around with a sword and a shield either. )

This is loosely applied. I've seen all parts of the world and pretty much anything pre-firearms, medieval or otherwise... ie: antiquity: greeks, romans, persians... If you wanted to do something brown-appropriate (lol) Maori, Indians, Ottomans, Aztecs -- it would all apply and if you're browner than that... I think I'm not the only one that thinks a Zulu unit would be badass.

But there's nothing that says you can't be a brown European... Not even the SCA aims for that accuracy.

As long as you make an attempt to follow the rules with garb and you're persona has historic/fantasy pre-firearms roots... you're gold!

Welcome!
Last edited by Teej on Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Forkbeard » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:19 pm

Medieval-esque.
Anywhere, literaly. Your garb can be from any pregunpowder culture, including fantasy cultures like in the world of Tolkiens Lord of the Rings, Discworld, anywhere.
Have fun with it.
Most importantly, though, this is a killing game, make your garb so it makes you look like a badass.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Dangus » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:51 pm

Forkbeard wrote:Most importantly, though, this is a killing game, make your garb so it makes you look like a badass.

This.

I can't tell you how much more fun it is to know you look like an epic BAMF, when you slay people. Especially when you go into those random "Super Saiyan" slaughter modes.
Dangus
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 09 Sep 2001
Realm: Tir na nOg
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Set trippin', Rippin', Dippin'.

Postby Erezebet » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:14 am

Fantastic. (I always wanted to be Shaka Zulu when I was a kid except that whole family keeps trying to assassinate me and making wacky decisions to put all pregnant women to death thing seems like a bad way to perpetuate the tribe but what do I know)
This clears up a discussion I was having with other Belegarth people who weren't sure about the issue right off the top of their heads.

Dangus wrote:
Forkbeard wrote:Most importantly, though, this is a killing game, make your garb so it makes you look like a badass.

This.

I can't tell you how much more fun it is to know you look like an epic BAMF, when you slay people. Especially when you go into those random "Super Saiyan" slaughter modes.

I am pretty unpracticed at badassery. Now I have to make lists like " Ok, Demon armor is good. No matter how cheap it is, Hello Kitty armor is out of period and will get you laughed off the field." It took me a full minute to work out what BAMF meant. Now I have to see if I can GIS Samuel L Jackson and see if I can find a picture of him in medieval garb.
Black Betty!
Erezebet
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Caleidah » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:46 am

Erezebet wrote:Now I have to see if I can GIS Samuel L Jackson and see if I can find a picture of him in medieval garb.

"Prithee, doth Marcellus Wallace appear as a strumpet?"
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Erezebet » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:53 am

Caleidah wrote:"Prithee, doth Marcellus Wallace appear as a strumpet?"

Jules:Prithee, doth Marcellus Wallace appear as a common strumpet?
Brett: What?!
Jules: [stabs Brett in the shoulder with a green] Lookst with thine eyes, doth Marcellus Wallace appear as a common strumpet?
Brett: [in pain] No-o!
Jules: Verily, then pray tell, why dids't thou try to mount him like a common strumpet?
Brett: [faintly] I protest! I did not!
Jules: Thou liest! Thou dids't Brett! Thou triest to mount him like a rutting dog. And verily Marsellus Wallace does not abide being mounted by anybody except the Lady Wallace.Verily, Thou reads't the Bible?
Brett: [gasping for breath] Yes.
Jules: Then surely thou knowest this passage, foul slave. Ezekiel 25:17? "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. [begins pacing about the room] And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers! And you will know my name is the Lord [pulls out his green and aims it at Brett] when I lay my vengeance upon thee!"

(I need a hobby)
Black Betty!
Erezebet
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Kage » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:58 am

Erezebet wrote:I am pretty unpracticed at badassery. Now I have to make lists like " Ok, Demon armor is good. No matter how cheap it is, Hello Kitty armor is out of period and will get you laughed off the field." It took me a full minute to work out what BAMF meant. Now I have to see if I can GIS Samuel L Jackson and see if I can find a picture of him in medieval garb.

How about Morgan Freeman instead?

However, if it must be Samuel L Jackson....

Just about as medieval as he gets. I suggest the last 2 and take the name Mace Zulu that way I can watch Darth Cheeseheart and some other dude flip and jump around the field with pretty colored swords.

In all seriousness though thats the best I could find.
Kage
21st Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Ebonhold
Coffee with Kage
Kage
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Ebonhold

Postby Tiercel » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:21 am

Wear whatever ya want. We've got people from every background borrowing from every other background, and unless you're trying to make <insert whatever background your character is> look silly, you won't be out of place on the field. I've inserted a couple pics, one of garb, one of armor, but would advise against the shoes worn in the first one.

edit: but please don't wear blue jeans on the field. :)
Tiercel
Scout
Scout

Favorite Fighting Styles: Single Blue

Postby Erezebet » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:36 pm

Kage: That is full of awesomeness and other various awesome like substances. Does Mace Windu count as pre-gunpowder? Pretty sure the fact that they recognize midichlorians/magical bacterial infections puts them at post-gunpowder technology...unless I can find some way to slide this into Nero....

Tiercel: You know I'm fond of you but I am sure that the next time we meet on the field I am going to stab/grapple/whatever kills you for suggesting the one on the top and then do it again for suggesting it's perfectly acceptable winter garb and then do it one more time for taking my sword and killing me with it directly after that.
Black Betty!
Erezebet
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Tiercel » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:38 pm

Erezebet wrote:Kage: That is full of awesomeness and other various awesome like substances. Does Mace Windu count as pre-gunpowder? Pretty sure the fact that they recognize midichlorians/magical bacterial infections puts them at post-gunpowder technology...unless I can find some way to slide this into Nero....

Tiercel: You know I'm fond of you but I am sure that the next time we meet on the field I am going to stab/grapple/whatever kills you for suggesting the one on the top and then do it again for suggesting it's perfectly acceptable winter garb and then do it one more time for taking my sword and killing me with it directly after that.

You're going to stab me for taking your sword? How's that going to work? =P
Tiercel
Scout
Scout

Favorite Fighting Styles: Single Blue

Postby Kage » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:50 pm

Well it was "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"....
Kage
21st Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Ebonhold
Coffee with Kage
Kage
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Ebonhold

Postby Erezebet » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:52 pm

Kage wrote:Well it was "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"....

True, I did consider that actually. It seems as though the technology and not the time would be the consideration in this instance. If not, I am totally inventing the lightsaber and taking it on the field.
Black Betty!
Erezebet
Recruit
Recruit

Postby The Great Gigsby » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:16 pm

I would think that Star Wars pretty much falls outside the scope of "medieval."
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Caleidah » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:22 pm

However, the jedi robes have parallels to medieval clothes and don't look particularly un-medieval.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Embara Cayosin » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:59 pm

as its states "a long time ago in a galaxy far away..." makes be believe if you put that against earth years it would be prehistoric so jedi would fall into the classification of cavemen. When of course you compare it to earths time line. but in their time the would be well past the fusion age.
In Draconic
Loreat mrith tiichi - Die with honor
Valignat ekess vignar - Burn to Ash
lleisgar de lowan - Rise from death

Sieglatan wrote: it looks like you killed and skinned a tiny cow, and riveted the hide onto it.

Ignatius wrote:I love that he just got put in time out for a month!!!
Embara Cayosin
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 02 Jun 2009
Realm: dur-demarion

Postby fishstix » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:43 pm

jedi = warrior monk/ samurai with a smallish red.

seriously it's what Lucas patterned the Jedi order after. well i spose he didn't take into account what kind of belegarth weapon a lightsaber was, but that pretty much works.
fishstix
Underling
Underling

Postby No'Vak » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:22 pm

Fantasy.

I'm being obtuse though.

That pulp fiction writeup is **** amazing though I was laughing my * off.

I can't believe no one else commented on that.

You don't have to be race appropriate. There is a lot of whiteys that go out looking like pseudo samurai.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Forkbeard » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:08 am

I loved the Pulp fiction wrap.
Jedi robes are fine, if you're into that. It's not like some one dressed like a jedi look any different from any of our other wannbe samurais.
Terciel, your an offensivly stupid **** person. Niehter of those pics has any redeeming value to Belegarth.
The chic is in a **** CARTOON. That dress would not work even if it was on someone shaped like that imaginarily proportioned woman unless it was literaly GLUED the **** on.
The second picture is of **** WOOD armor. Not only is it ugly, but it is poorly made and probly wouldn't last through on whole event day.
Please, shut the **** up you **** shlub.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip