Garb. Newbie. Yeah. Questions.

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Garb. Newbie. Yeah. Questions.

Postby Achlys Marr » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:47 am

So I'm looking at putting together my first set of garb. Right now I'm in the idea stages. I'm a girl, so I was stoked to see the thread on garb for females and took a few ideas from that. I'm just wondering if what I want will be too much, because I see a lot of people running around in simple tunics and sweatpants. Part of being interested in Belegarth, for me, includes the dressing up, because, well, come on, we all wish we could've been born about 1500 years ago.

Right now the things I'm completely set on are a cuirass, pointed little ears cause I'm a mischievous and threatening snotling, and a hooded capelet. I also want most of my garb to be medium grey or black. I probably won't wear the cuirass much if at all at first, I kind of just want to try my hand at making one. I'm pretty proficient at sewing, so that's not that big of an issue.

I was thinking about a dress instead of tunic and pants because I never get to be girly and I kind of hate baggy pants. Any ideas? Someone tell me if I'm going way overboard here. Also, I'm wondering if this stuff will even look right as a snotling. I know I'm supposed to have random tattered stuff (and I want to make the garb I do make look rogueish and tattered), but I'm not really into random patches of fabric.

Last question-- I have big huge grandma glasses with thick lenses. Should I consider contacts for this? As it is, I have to wear a sports strap to keep them on at punk shows and I'm not even fighting there. Plus they're pink and clear and the strap is lime green...
Achlys Marr
Recruit
Recruit

Re: Garb. Newbie. Yeah. Questions.

Postby No'Vak » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:28 am

Achlys Marr wrote:So I'm looking at putting together my first set of garb. Right now I'm in the idea stages. I'm a girl, so I was stoked to see the thread on garb for females and took a few ideas from that. I'm just wondering if what I want will be too much, because I see a lot of people running around in simple tunics and sweatpants. Part of being interested in Belegarth, for me, includes the dressing up, because, well, come on, we all wish we could've been born about 1500 years ago.

Right now the things I'm completely set on are a cuirass, pointed little ears cause I'm a mischievous and threatening snotling, and a hooded capelet. I also want most of my garb to be medium grey or black. I probably won't wear the cuirass much if at all at first, I kind of just want to try my hand at making one. I'm pretty proficient at sewing, so that's not that big of an issue.

I was thinking about a dress instead of tunic and pants because I never get to be girly and I kind of hate baggy pants. Any ideas? Someone tell me if I'm going way overboard here. Also, I'm wondering if this stuff will even look right as a snotling. I know I'm supposed to have random tattered stuff (and I want to make the garb I do make look rogueish and tattered), but I'm not really into random patches of fabric.

Last question-- I have big huge grandma glasses with thick lenses. Should I consider contacts for this? As it is, I have to wear a sports strap to keep them on at punk shows and I'm not even fighting there. Plus they're pink and clear and the strap is lime green...

I really wouldn't wear straps, and most fighters wear garb so don't worry about standing out in a bad way :).

Sounds like it'll be fine, just be careful with how you do the dress.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Kraesh » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:44 am

I'd suggest getting contacts. I know a guy who broke 7 pair of glasses in one year. Personally I broke my glasses within a month and a half of starting. It's also a lot more comfortable to wear contacts.

-Kraesh
Freeman of Ered Duath
House Darkblade
Kraesh
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 11 Mar 2010
Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: None
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery, S&B, Florentine

Postby Caleidah » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:45 am

I've alerted a few monsters I know of this thread.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby No'Vak » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:49 am

Kraesh wrote:I'd suggest getting contacts. I know a guy who broke 7 pair of glasses in one year. Personally I broke my glasses within a month and a half of starting. It's also a lot more comfortable to wear contacts.

-Kraesh

Protip. Zennioptical.com.

I feel safer in my glasses, I don't want to get hit in the face with contacts on by a javelin.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Salamander » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:49 am

I personally don't wear glasses on the field, as I cannot afford to break my glasses even once. This results in much squintyness that apparently makes me look like I am mad all the time. This is evened out by the fact that it sucks as a spearman to not be able to spot arrows.
I don't know anything about contacts, as my mother told me when I was little not to stick things in my eye.
If you are comfortable with your glasses occasionally being driven into your face, or broken, and can afford to replace them semi-regularly, knock yourself out.

It is perfectly fine to wear a skirt. I have a patchwork skirt that I wear fighting. Just make sure that it is not too tight fitting, as that will restrict your legs when you run around and you will bust a seam. Potentially very awkward. Also, make sure that the hem is high enough off the ground that you won't trip or step on it. Ankle length is a good length.
If you want to make your garb look raggedy, there are a couple things you can do. First, bright and new colors don't look worn and ragged. Instead of black-black, use a faded black, or a very very dark grey. Give the impression that the black has been weather worn. Wash it with a teensy bit of bleach to spot it and give it an even more faded look. Stain it even, with various plants and vegetation, drag it through the mud, run it over with a car.

A good way to get ragged edges, without your outfit fraying into a pile of thread, is to sew a seam about an inch or so back from the edge of the fabric. I recommend a zigzag stitch, as it is stronger than just a straight stitch. Then, depending on the fabric type, either let it fray naturally, or encourage it to your heart's desire. You can cut it a little, or even tear it to help, but remember, nature abhors a straight line, and it won't look natural if it's too straight.

Ears. Some tips from personal experience. Don't just paint them with food dye. The latex will eat that dye right up, and it will take lots and lots of coats to get it even looking a little bit natural. Also, the food dye just rubs right the hell off. Actually paint it, if you can. Latex paints are supposed to work good, but I've never used them myself.
Be aware that it is quite possible that you can have your ears hit right off of your head. I've seen it happen. Also, Belegarth might make fun of you, cos it's Belegarth. I've never actually worn my fangs and goblin ears to an event before, so I don't know. They might accept it if you make it look super awesome.

From what the elves tell me, liquid latex is supposed to be the way to go, as far as actually sticking it on your body. I've only ever used the spirit gum that came with my ears, but it really is a pain in the *. That **** sticks to your hair like nobody's business, and can take a while to get sitting right on your own ears. You'll have to find out for yourself.
If something is worth doing, it's worth getting absolutely filthy over!

WitchDoktor
Salamander
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2008
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword'n'Board

Postby Embara Cayosin » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:03 am

On the ears. from my experence in special effects makeup albeit how little it has been i would advise to stay away from the spirit gum is total **** and comes off as you sweat. Pros-aid is where it is at for any appliance application. used right, even getting hit in the ear woun't take that **** off.

http://www.monstermakers.com/product/pr ... esive.html

that is a link to the adhesive. to remove all you need to use is a cue-tip with a little Alcohol on it and slowly brush it between your skin and the appliance. also if you wanted to make your own ears or any appliance what so ever that site has everything you need. its where the pros go to get their supplies. check out the list of films that used their products.
In Draconic
Loreat mrith tiichi - Die with honor
Valignat ekess vignar - Burn to Ash
lleisgar de lowan - Rise from death

Sieglatan wrote: it looks like you killed and skinned a tiny cow, and riveted the hide onto it.

Ignatius wrote:I love that he just got put in time out for a month!!!
Embara Cayosin
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 02 Jun 2009
Realm: dur-demarion

Postby Sir Par » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:24 am

Where are you from Achlys?
16th Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Brotherhood of the Falcon
Order of the Gilded Owl
Go Team 4!
Member of the Church of Daraith
Humility: Its pretty much the only thing I'm NOT good at.
Derian wrote:Well, ****. Par is right.
Sir Par
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Aug 2004
Realm: Rath
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Sheild
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Báthory » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:40 am

Achlys Marr wrote:Last question-- I have big huge grandma glasses with thick lenses.

Achlys, get Rec Specs.

They look badass and they can take a whoopin'
Báthory Bloodeater
War Maytan ov the Lost River
Horde Loyal Hobgoblyn
Lorekeeper and Storyspeaker

Griks: |||| || ||| |||| | ||||||
Báthory
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 12 Feb 2011
Realm: Rath
Unit: Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board... Mostly board

Postby No'Vak » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:03 pm

ZENNIOPTICAL.COM

Its like $20 for glasses that includes shipping and lenses. Straight from the heart of china.
Bugbear
Noik

No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Achlys Marr » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:19 pm

Salamander wrote:I personally don't wear glasses on the field, as I cannot afford to break my glasses even once. This results in much squintyness that apparently makes me look like I am mad all the time. This is evened out by the fact that it sucks as a spearman to not be able to spot arrows.
If you are comfortable with your glasses occasionally being driven into your face, or broken, and can afford to replace them semi-regularly, knock yourself out.

I have horrible eyesight and not enough cash on hand to replace glasses all the time (even at $20 a piece). After hearing about someone that went through seven pairs in a year, I think contacts might be the way to go.

Sir Par wrote:Where are you from Achlys?

Ohio.

Báthory wrote:Achlys, get Rec Specs.

This is a possibility.
Achlys Marr
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Galya » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:44 pm

Achlys Marr wrote:I'm just wondering if what I want will be too much, because I see a lot of people running around in simple tunics and sweatpants.

I doubt it. As long as you're comfortable enough in what you're wearing to fight, it's perfectly fine. In fact, monsters are generally encouraged to wear layers, it adds to the chaotic look.

Also, if you want to make lots of things but don't think you'll be able to wear some of them on the field, you can always save them for night life and feasts. It's good to have some extra garb set aside so you're not walking around in the same stinky garb you wore all day for the rest of the night too.
Also, I'm wondering if this stuff will even look right as a snotling. I know I'm supposed to have random tattered stuff (and I want to make the garb I do make look rogueish and tattered), but I'm not really into random patches of fabric.

Salamander already mentioned some great ideas for doing the tattered thing without patches, and those are excellent suggestions. I'm going to add that tatters are not the only way to pull off Goblyn either. My personal thing is warbraids and shineys. They add to the look of any monster. Add a few braids to the belt over your skirt, loop one around your wrist like a bracelet, put a few in your hair or your hat if you can. It helps. And shineys are always important. Those I'm usually a little more sparse with, just because they can get lost easily sometimes if you put too many on your fighting garb. But they're key to a Goblyn's wardrobe.
Should I consider contacts for this?

Yes. Everyone already gave you good answers, but I just wanted to emphasize. I wear glasses too, and have been using contacts in Belegarth for 4 years. They work great, and it's very rare to actually have one knocked out. If you do, well then you should've packed a few extra with you anyway.
Galya Grikhunter, former Belegarth Secretary, Horde Commander, and War Council representative.
Still an admin though, because people trust me or something. ;)
Blood Valley HoRdE: Massacring the Midwest since 2004
She/Her/Hers

Forkbeard wrote:So, you can't decide if that is Galya or Par? I have to admit, I mistake Par for an old woman regularly. But Galya is a beautiful and intelligent lady. I'd never mistake her for him.
Galya
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 13 Sep 2006
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: dah HoRdE
Favorite Fighting Styles: Board and Bat
Pronouns: She/Her

Postby Kraesh » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:18 pm

Galya wrote:They work great, and it's very rare to actually have one knocked out. If you do, well then you should've have packed a few extra with you anyway.

The goblyn speaks truth. The only times I've ever lost a contact are when I was stabbed directly in the eye socket by a walk-on, and when Bacchus shot me DIRECTLY in the eye with his bow (By directly I mean shot direction parallel to line of sight, eye wide open and it just popped right out). Both of these times I had 5 extra contacts or more on me and I always bring a 6-pack to events in addition to the ones I'm wearing.

-Kraesh
Freeman of Ered Duath
House Darkblade
Kraesh
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 11 Mar 2010
Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: None
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery, S&B, Florentine

Postby Peanut of Loderia » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:29 pm

This thread is made of win. Almost sticky levels of win.
Peanut of Loderia
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Loderia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby Richard le Gris » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:16 pm

I wear these because they're the frames that my optometrist had.
http://www.safetyglasses1.com/detail.cfm?id=633
They work pretty well, but it may take some saving and scrimping to afford a pair. I've heard good things about "Recspecs" and I may get a pair in the future. My only complaint with the frames I use is that sometimes they fog up, but that's life with glasses.
Faute d'argent, en acier! ~ "For want of silver, steel!"
Richard le Gris
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0-11-2007
Realm: Byzantium
Unit: Legion of House Manticore
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Archery

Postby Kraylose » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:28 pm

Another way to monster garb up is by rarely washing it and if it does rip you patch it up with different colors of fabric and thread. Looks awesome.

Warbraids are a monster essential IMO. Doesnt matter the color, size, trinkets but you should have some. I have mutliple belts created totaling around 70 warbraids and when layerd they look awesome. Canvas becomes quite ragged and with the right trinkets looks quite monstery.

Warpaint and symbols on garb will also add to the look.

Make it to Spring Wars in April and you will see some good monster garb for inspiration.
I'm de ogre from Eriador who likes picking on pinkies and goblyns.

Hordes mover of people and things.

Do you have questions about monsterdom? Come talk to me, I can help you out.

I'm a nomad, I show up almost anywhere and sometimes without warning.
Kraylose
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 20 Aug 2007
Realm: Eriador
Unit: Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever gets the job done

Postby SolidSam » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:36 pm

They look badass and they can take a whoopin'[/quote]

Those look neat.

I'm going try and get those and make a mask out of them so they don't look too modern. That seems like the best way to get eye protection + eye prescription in passable garb.

Nice find.
SolidSam
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 15 Nov 2010
Favorite Fighting Styles: Hard and Fast.

Postby No'Vak » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:07 am

i just say don't get hit in the face and buy glasses zennioptical.com .

These have lasted me 2 years. But they cost $15 so I really don't care.

Edit: Didn't want a new post. These glasses have lasted me at least a year and an uncountable amount of pretty good headshots straight to the face. YMMV.
Last edited by No'Vak on Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bugbear
Noik

No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Fangesta » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:17 pm

you can NEVER have too much garb nor be over dressed!!!!! Just remember that with dresses and skirts they do need to be hemmed up above the ankle for less tripability. I wear skirts/dresses 95% of my garb time and even fight in em...no problems. Your imagination is your limit, and don't you dare feel inhibited!!! Just remember to not use the icky prints an neon colors.

Contact lenses are definitely the most cost effective way to go. Yes head shots are illegal, but that doesn't stop javies or arrows and the swords still make it to the noggin an glasses stand no chance unless they're made for it.

:pirate:
Say it...Say it....HARRRRR
Fangesta
Mercenary
Mercenary

Realm: Highest bidder--PIRATE
Unit: Reavers
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery
Florentine
Short sword

Postby Ignatius » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:32 pm

Rec specs are the hands down best way to go for me!!! I don't like having things in my eyes and running the risk of getting hit in the eye. I don't normally wear contacts anyways and my recs are multi-sport multi-purpose. I've been using them as sunglasses since they're tinted, that's how I justified the cost to myself. I've had them for 3 1/2 years with no problems and only one little scratch in a lens.

As for garb, go freaking nuts and make as much of it a your little heart desires! If anybody says anything kick em in the nuts and let us all know. Problem will go away quick.
Ignatius
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 25 Feb 2008

Postby Jabber » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:48 pm

I'm new at Bel too. I also find the garb to be a great part. RPing as a gobbo is great for garb. You can do almost anything. I base my garb on the idea that I found scraps and sewed something out of them. I know you aren't too fond of the random bits of fabric hanging out everywhere, but after you make a few base pieces, like your dress and capelet, you'll have some scraps just lying around.

Basically, what I did is make a bunch of big pieces, dresses and vests with big pointy hoods to layer over each other. Then I took scraps of stuff and made smaller things, like an over skirt, or a big belt or sleeves. Making little stuff with the scraps is also a nice way to kill time as a handycraft. You always wanna have something to work on when you're off the field. A friend of mine carries her knitting around, someone else I know is making chain mail.

Also, try to go for different shapes if you want more of a unique/different look. Use your sewing talent to you advantage, make some interesting one-of-a-kind garments.

Fighting in dresses is totally alright, as has been said before. And some alternatives to the baggy pants issue... You could try haks, then tie them up at the bottoms. They are still baggy, but you aren't stepping all over them if that's what your problem is. Or a type of harem pant with a taper. Those aren't really baggy at all. Or there is always leggings, but I'd be very careful with those since they can look so modern.

Finally, I know you didn't mention it but shoes are really important. A shiny white pair of sneakers can totally destroy amazing gobbo garb. Also, if you do plan on going to Spring Wars (which you totally should) you'll have to really get on the ball with ordering a pair if you want them in time.

Good luck with all you garby endeavors. :goblin:
Jabber Pleezed.
Jabber
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 12 Sep 2010
Realm: Niflheim

Postby Teej » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:46 pm

I've lost 3 pairs of glasses in my 5ish/6ish year dorking career, only one of which was drunken stupidity (set it down on a lit lantern, came back to melted/warped wire and cracked lenses). I now wear contacts for foam-combat.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Arrakis » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:47 am

Couple dress links from our sister sport's gear page:

http://www.dagorhir.com/gear/content/ga ... _dress.php

extend this down to your calves and you've got an instant dress, as well:
http://www.dagorhir.com/gear/content/ga ... _tunic.php
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Cade » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:48 pm

Achlys Marr wrote:
Salamander wrote:I personally don't wear glasses on the field, as I cannot afford to break my glasses even once. This results in much squintyness that apparently makes me look like I am mad all the time. This is evened out by the fact that it sucks as a spearman to not be able to spot arrows.

I have horrible eyesight and not enough cash on hand to replace glasses all the time (even at $20 a piece). After hearing about someone that went through seven pairs in a year, I think contacts might be the way to go.

Sir Par wrote:Where are you from Achlys?

Ohio.

Báthory wrote:Achlys, get Rec Specs.

This is a possibility.

Where at in ohio? If your close enough, i could recommend some people with good monster garb that would probably be happy to show you how they do it.
Cade
Brute
Brute

Realm: Nomad
Unit: Southern Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Playing Dead

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb