Garb Requirement: Practice

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Garb Requirement: Practice

Postby Kasada » Sat May 07, 2011 1:19 am

Although I refuse to be the politically-recognized leader (too much school work) of my realm, I'm more or less the de-facto leader (by virtue of best rule knowledge, best foam-smithing ability, and longest time playing). We've been active for a couple of years now, but there's a problem; I'm the only one with garb. This is a problem because, even as the go-to person for how Belegarth stuff works, when the topic of garb comes up, nobody listens to me. I become soundly out-voted on a matter of other people "wanting to keep their pride intact" because "running around with foam sticks is nerdy enough as it is." Realm equipment is already made or partway-made. I make it a policy to teach every new recruit the basics of foam smithing and where to find materials so that they can repair or (with a guide) make their own weapons should they so desire. In this regard, I could be considered obsolete - bringing up an unpopular topic such as garb can just be ignored.

This all in mind, how can I get my realm-mates to get and wear garb to practice?
May you find a twist in your road.
Kasada
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 30 Jul 2008

Re: Garb Requirement: Practice

Postby Caleidah » Sat May 07, 2011 1:43 am

Show them cool basic garb. Inform them that if they ever want to fight people from other places, they'll need to have garb. If you're realm leader and hold control of the loaner equipment, too, you can use that as a bargaining chip.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Teej » Sat May 07, 2011 1:51 am

Actually, I think it's nerdier without the clothes. I personally felt awkward about the garb at first; you have to look at it this way though:

No garb + home made weapons... looks very much like a backyard teen LARP.

Garb + the same weapons... suddenly you're a professional-looking organization.

Don't believe me? Just compare pictures. Would you walk up to a group of people in what looks like a uniform? Or a bunch of kids * around with toy weapons?

You're going to have hecklers... as long as people want to impress someone and have a vehicle they feel safe in, they're gonna do it. I personally yell to every heckler (about 1-2 a season) to come try it as I hold my sword handle-out to them. Most hecklers secretly want to try it. I've never heckled anyone whom I didn't think I'd do better in their shoes. They think they can do better, let them try, destroy them - then, feed off their competitive spirit. I've recruited people like this before.

Anyway... it's going to take peer-pressure, an understanding of recruiting, and professionalism to get things started. It does not hurt to get them out to events either. My realm was SUPER lax on garb until we had a veteran member of the Bel culture move down to FL and teach us how to really run our ****. We were the first realm in FL; 4 years later, we're holding 30-40 man monthly day battles at our local field and pretty much the state's big brother... all of MY realm are in garb for these battles. We have new groups show up all the time though in jeans and t-shirts. You just have to expose them to the culture... nagging may grab one or two people, but really they need to see what events are like and motivate themselves to fit in.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Mint » Sat May 07, 2011 9:26 am

Teej wrote:You just have to expose them to the culture... nagging may grab one or two people, but really they need to see what events are like and motivate themselves to fit in.

Agreed.

I come from a very garb-phobic group, of which only a handful of us have actually been to an event or anoter realm's practice. I have to say, I when I fitst started I had the whole "it's nerdy enough already, just let me hit people" mentality. Now, after seeing some fine examples of garb on the national field, and the effect it has on the atmosphere, I'm sold.
Jeckyllmint Q. Stoutbrew
Sand Plains Quartermaster & War Council Rep.
Initiate of the Sons of Sylas

Slagar wrote:MinTech: Feel the freshness, *.
Mint
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2010
Realm: Sand Plains
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: shame stick

Postby Davit » Sat May 07, 2011 11:47 am

This is just my opinion for your situation but...

Get a few people to go with you to another realm where they have decent garb at their practices, or if you can go to an event with these same people, make sure they have garb, and BOOM, you will most likely have a group of converts. When the others see you improving not only in your garb, but in fighting ability from going other places they will probably ask you what the difference is, your reply, I go other places and learn from other people, but you need garb to do so.

Good luck, it's always hard to get people to change.
House Hellhammer
Defender of the Stein
The Psycho with the Flail
Knight of Wolfpack
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."- Confucius
Davit
Double Post Eradicator

Postby Sir Anastasia » Sat May 07, 2011 12:18 pm

Or ask that nearby realm to come and "raid" you. When your guys see an established realm all decked out come in and kick your * (in a good way), maybe they will all want better garb and get a feel for the culture. We have done this for other groups and it is fun. I highly recommend raiding new groups whenever you can.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Forkbeard » Mon May 09, 2011 7:10 am

Kasada, you need to recrit some of the other local ID badasses.
Get Cedric and Sprigot and those hoodlums to come to a couple practices and show people some fighting moves and stuff. For about a half hour. Then have your guys fight them as a group for the entire rest of practice, or until everyone wants to quit from getting beat so bad.
Then start teling them about the need to garb so that they can go out and learn al the advanced **** those guys are using to whoop them.
You have some of the greatest people in Bel in Idaho to help you. Reach out to them.
Do everything you can to get as many of your people to Yestare as possible. It WILL change their minds.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip