Resources for medieval vocal music

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Resources for medieval vocal music

Postby Juggernaut » Tue May 24, 2011 11:33 pm

I thought all the comments in General Mayhem about the crappy bardic competition were interesting. I tried searching the threads for medieval music, but just ran into a lot of the metal threads.

Does anyone have a source for period vocal music? I am looking for drinking songs, epic songs, traditional songs, harvest songs, marriage/funeral songs...etc. Google searches for medieval music usually end up with history lessons, medieval music theory, or instrumental music. I am looking for something with printed words/sheet music.

I have had some luck with Slavic music, but the songs are mostly played on a one-stringed instrument and are unpleasant to listen to, if you are used to western harmonic music.

There are several traditional songs that have lyrics from the late 19th to early 20th century, like Londonderry Air (O Danny Boy), that seem too modern for what we are doing. The Welsh song Suo-Gan also falls into this category. I found a good Bulgarian and Russian song that fall into the same category: old tunes with fairly modern lyrics.

On the other side of the spectrum are songs with period lyrics, but modern tunes. Religious songs in Latin/English fall into this category, like Non Nobis Domine, and David's Lamentation. Sigh No More, from the film adaptation of Much Ado about Nothing is similar to these.

I guess any of these would be more period than telling dirty stories or just rambling, but some nice sounding, authentic music would be a great way to relax after a night of fighting.

Anyway, I was just wondering if there were any vocal music enthusiasts out there that had a good source.

Jug
I'm the Juggernaut, *.
Juggernaut
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 1995
Realm: Armored Penguins
Unit: Western Dunedain

Re: Resources for medieval vocal music

Postby Kyrian » Wed May 25, 2011 12:30 am

"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Juggernaut » Wed May 25, 2011 1:27 am

Wow. Exactly what I was looking for.
I'm the Juggernaut, *.
Juggernaut
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 1995
Realm: Armored Penguins
Unit: Western Dunedain

Postby Isk » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:27 pm

Thanks Kyrian. I've been working on a few older tunes on my guitar to play around the fire and this is awesome. Juggy, where were you finding slavic tunes at?
http://www.antirdearg.com
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
-- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

I don't have hobbies, I'm just developing a robust post-apocalyptic survival skillset.
Isk
Berserker
Berserker

Realm: An Tir Dearg
Unit: Deshi
Favorite Fighting Styles: Foam Coated Death

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb