first decent(ish) garb

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

first decent(ish) garb

Postby Victor Slade » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:01 pm

alright, so this is the first garb ive had that consists of more than sweat pants and cut up t-shirt, all compliments, comments, and criticism welcome

still pretty basic, ive got a tabard that i made with some fabric, to add some color and a little character i burnt all the sides and corners of it a bit, and since fire worship is a large part of my realms theme i thought it was fitting. ive got a red cut up shirt, didnt have anymore fabric or patiences to sew a decent shirt. and some EXTREMELY ghetto made hakama/poofy pants that i made with 4 old t-shirts i never wore.

i pre much cut off sleeves, sewed sleeve holes closed, cut off the top of the shirt of all 4 of them. then with 2 of them, i took th front of the shirt and measured with trial and error the amount that need to be cut for a grion region, i only used 1 then once i had measured/cut what was confortable i cut the other shirt in the same demensions and sewed them together. at that point i had some poofy shorts, then i sewed the other 2 shirts to the bottom of the shorts and cut the remaining fabric around my feet. i forgot to make a tie string for them but i have enough loose fabric at the waist to tie a decent knot that doesnt seem to come undone easily. if need be ill use scrap fabric and make suspenders for them and wear them under the tabard.

sorry for the wall of text, just thought i would explain the process, i know i couldve bought some but i wanted good looking stuff for geddon and i just started last night,and all i had for regular fabric was red and i didnt want to look like a tomato.
*belegarth practice*
guy 1 "oww you hit me too hard"
guy 2 "do you need a spoon?"
guy 1 "why would i need a spoon?"
guy 2 "to dig the sand out of your *"
Victor Slade
Toadie
Toadie

Realm: Bael Turath
Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever works

Re: first decent(ish) garb

Postby Arrakis » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:50 pm

Good inventiveness on the pants. Sounds like you really made what you had work for you.

The tabard looks pretty cool, too; make a black tunic* to go under it that comes down to about your knees and you'll look actually pretty * fly.

Is the belt more of the t-shirt knit used as a sash?

*Use http://www.dagorhir.com/gear/content/ga ... _tunic.php but ignore the center front and center back gores; they're just floof and you don't need to do them. Use this to finish the neck: http://www.dagorhir.com/gear/content/ga ... facing.pdf Make it out of: http://www.fabric-store.com/first.php?g ... ric_id=103 Get 2.5 yd of it for the tunic and when you get it, zig-zag the raw edges of the piece and wash it on hot and dry it on hot, then lay it out, cut it up, and sew.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Xavier » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:02 pm

Good job! It looks really good for your 1st real attempt at garb. I personally think it would look better with a leather belt then a sash but other then that I think it looks great
Xavier Of Thunder Guard
Member of The Northern Alliance
Guard of Clan Of The Hydra
Member of Dark Hydra
Tor wrote:Belegarth is a who gives a ****, because Shut Up.
Xavier
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2006
Realm: Thunder Guard
Unit: Clan Of The Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear
Bat And Board
Red

Postby Victor Slade » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:57 am

thanks you, and thanks for the link as well, ima work on that next, but yeah, it was just a piece of scrapped t-shirt. ima get a leather belt here pretty soon
*belegarth practice*
guy 1 "oww you hit me too hard"
guy 2 "do you need a spoon?"
guy 1 "why would i need a spoon?"
guy 2 "to dig the sand out of your *"
Victor Slade
Toadie
Toadie

Realm: Bael Turath
Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever works

Postby Shino » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:23 pm

Arrakis wrote:The tabard looks pretty cool, too; make a black tunic* to go under it that comes down to about your knees and you'll look actually pretty * fly.

Yeah, think about this. Making a few pieces of garb for the sake of having layers is a good idea. You'll also have more options for when the weather changes and if you go to a multiday event and don't want to look the same the whole time.

Did you burn the edges of your tunic? That looks cool.

Def decent garb for your first attempt.
Merciless Michael of God Squad
Gelfan Empire
Dragoon and Knight of Babylon
Shino
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Babylon
Unit: God Squad
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mantis

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb