Hakama or Slops?

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Hakama or Slops?

Postby Rhajhiin » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:09 pm

I'm almost certain this debate is lurking somewhere here on the boards, but I can't seem to find it if it is. So I ask for your opinion here.

Recently I've been looking into building a pair of hakama, because I've been told that they're easier to move in. Though after a little research, I've discovered that their structure is almost that of basic slops. What's the use of making Hakama when I can just shore up the extra material, stitch up the sides and middle and make baggy slops? Which do you prefer and why?
If ever faced with a choice between two evils. Pick the one you've never done before.
Rhajhiin
Toadie
Toadie

Realm: Desert Wind
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/jav & Board

Re: Hakama or Slops?

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:39 am

I prefer the haks due to style. I feel they provide better movement and have less chance for catching my feet. You can make drawstring pants that approximate the movement of hakama. Simply make the legs the right size, put in the pleats. Fold over the tops for a draw string closure. WIN!
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Arrakis » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:50 am

Easier to move in than what? Hosen are the easier pants to move in I've found, on account of not having a crotch. Next up are probably loose drawstring pants, then hakama.

Anyway, anything outside of medium-loose drawstring pants and a thigh-length tunic is just stylistic preference. I have samurai garb and viking garb and I'm working on some 14th C. garb. Just for giggles. It all fights equally well.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby The Great Gigsby » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:58 am

Arrakis wrote:I have samurai garb and viking garb and I'm working on some 14th C. garb. Just for giggles.
Thanks man. :)
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Isk » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:42 pm

Salwar, FTW. Lots of room to move. Just don't make them out of shiny metallic gold fabric.

Other good options for mobility are Thai fisherman's pants and wrap pants. Patterns for all of these are linked from this page if you need a pattern.
http://www.antirdearg.com
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
-- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

I don't have hobbies, I'm just developing a robust post-apocalyptic survival skillset.
Isk
Berserker
Berserker

Realm: An Tir Dearg
Unit: Deshi
Favorite Fighting Styles: Foam Coated Death

Postby No'Vak » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:02 am

Isk wrote:Salwar, FTW. Lots of room to move. Just don't make them out of shiny metallic gold fabric.

Other good options for mobility are Thai fisherman's pants and wrap pants. Patterns for all of these are linked from this page if you need a pattern.

So * comfortable....
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Rhajhiin » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:19 am

I have a pair of salwar. Those things are AWESOME!!! I don't even own pajamas that comfortable!

I did try to make a few pairs of Hakama just for the experience, but now for some reason, they don't seem to hang properly. I'm going to have to go back and see what I did wrong.
If ever faced with a choice between two evils. Pick the one you've never done before.
Rhajhiin
Toadie
Toadie

Realm: Desert Wind
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/jav & Board

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:13 am

Isk wrote: Patterns for all of these are linked from this page if you need a pattern.

Wow, I got cited on that page and I don't even know where that realm is. It's interesting to see a picture of myself when I first started fighting. Where did 10 years go?
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb