Nitre bluing steel and other metals

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Nitre bluing steel and other metals

Postby Eris » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:36 pm

I am working on a craft project, and I would like to nitre blue some small metal bits for accent pieces. Unfortunately, the type of small metal bits I'm looking to nitre blue are nuts or washers. Well, you can't blue stainless steel! I am now left with several questions that Google has failed to help me with:

1. Are there any nuts or washers I could purchase that CAN be nitre blued?
3. What metals are capable of taking a nitre blue finish? (Just steel?)
2. Does anyone here have the setup for doing this? Usually this process is used on old school guns, and we occasionally have overlap with reenactment groups... Thought it was worth asking...
There's no room for heroes in the country called War. There's no one out here but soldiers and sorry * and it's damned hard to tell the difference between the two of them. The gods of war are a pack of random bastards, as indiscriminate as hand grenades and hailstones.
Eris
Hero
Hero

Re: Nitre bluing steel and other metals

Postby Stahlgrim » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:20 pm

the short answer is sort of. there are a number of chemical patinas that can be used on several alloys both ferrous and nonferrous.
try
http://www.surfinchemical.com/
Stahlgrim
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 09 Aug 1989
Unit: vondrackenklaue
Favorite Fighting Styles: all

Re: Nitre bluing steel and other metals

Postby Atman » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:14 pm

My guess is that you have galvanized, not stainless, fasteners since they are far more common than stainless. If this is the case, they are simply mild steel with a zinc coating that can be removed chemically or by heating. Once this is gone, most larger sporting goods stores carry "cold bluing" that achieves a similar finish without the heating or noxious chemicals associated with traditional bluing. If you really want to do it the traditional way, check libraries for outdated books on gunsmithing.
Atman
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2006
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: Horde

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb