Cobra garb

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Cobra garb

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:50 pm

So, my wife discovered that we'd been gifted a teaser channel from Dish Network called "HUB" and it has all the old school shows we both used to watch as kids: He-Man, She-Ra, Transformers, G.I. Joe, Jem, My Little Pony, Fraggle Rock, etc. Bonus is that the kids are loving these old shows.

Watching a couple episodes of GI Joe made me start thinking about how Cobra's uniforms could be transformed into garb. Some like Stormshadow and Baroness could be translated pretty directly, and I don't think Tomax and Xamot would be too hard to convert to a more medieval look, but what about Cobra Commander? What are some ideas you guys can think of to make his get up Bel legal?

Blued chain coif covering his face? Simple cloth hood? What about the silver reflective face mask on his helmet? This is just a pipe dream for me and I have no intention of making any of it; but the idea seems fun.

Last edited by Tiberius Claudius on Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Re: Cobra garb

Postby Teej » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:05 pm

Paramilitary terrorist.

Going with the militaristic look, specially with the fanned out helmet, I would say a roman-type helmet with a lobster tail... which would then move me to blue lorica... red cape.

Again, noting the helmet, possibly even a quasi-Samurai kit... but I would say the general militaristic theme would steer me back to quasi-Roman.

This is fun, give me moar!
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Caleidah » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:37 pm

I'd say a chain coif or possibly a leather faceplate and then run a piece of silver spandex across the back of the eyes. You'd be able to see through it, and it would preserve the theme.

If you create this uniformed evil unit, I might have to create a unit full of people to counter it and hold them to a remarkably lax dress code. Hm...
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Cheeseheart » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:34 am

Caleidah wrote:I might have to create a unit full of people to counter it and hold them to a remarkably lax dress code. Hm...

I know quite a few of those out here in CA...unfortunately.
Sir Cheeseheart the Defiant
Founder of the Sith Empire
2nd Knight of the Western Flame

"I'll take character over reputation..."
Sith Happens
See you at Battle for the Ring XI: Journey to Hyrule
Cheeseheart
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2008
Realm: Korriban
Unit: First Order of the Sith Empire
Favorite Fighting Styles: Using the Dark Side

Postby Caleidah » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:31 pm

Cheeseheart wrote:
Caleidah wrote:I might have to create a unit full of people to counter it and hold them to a remarkably lax dress code. Hm...

I know quite a few of those out here in CA...unfortunately.

Except the only rule of the dress code will be "Do it well, or get kicked in the junk."
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Cheeseheart » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:48 pm

all they ever do is * and moan.
Sir Cheeseheart the Defiant
Founder of the Sith Empire
2nd Knight of the Western Flame

"I'll take character over reputation..."
Sith Happens
See you at Battle for the Ring XI: Journey to Hyrule
Cheeseheart
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2008
Realm: Korriban
Unit: First Order of the Sith Empire
Favorite Fighting Styles: Using the Dark Side

Postby Forkbeard » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:38 am

This is a horrible idea.
You should be ashamed of yourself for posting it.
"How can I make modern military stuff look like garb?" You can't. Stop it.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:10 am

lol Fork, I'm talking about substitution - variations on a theme: tunics for modern shirts, our style armor for the obvious sci-fi stuff, etc.

Really, it's no different than making the awesome helmet you did for Cheeseheart. It's all about tweaking our garb and gear to give a wink and a nod to a genre of fantasy we enjoy.

And no one's even really considering doing this, its just spitballing. Don't be such a crabby appleton.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Postby Plithut » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:32 pm

Im surprised that you even posted this Tiberius. You are in War Council saying how we need to up standards but here asking how to turn T.V. show costumes into garb... this is a slippery slope... I agree with Forkbeard on this...
Dragoon Plithut
Sir Plithut - 17th Knight of the Highlands (Retired)
Genetically Enhanced Life Form - GELF
God Squad - Mayhem Muhammad
Hell Hammer - Slaanesh Entices
Plithut
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2002
Realm: Babylon
Unit: GodSquad-HellHammer-Gelfs
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine and Archery

Postby Forkbeard » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:02 pm

I catch alot of lake over the vader helm, but Star Wars was totally based on a medieval culture with space aged technology. Read a little about it for hell's sake. The whole look of the films was based in medieval fantasy.
Cobra's uniforms are based on 1980's american and russian military ****.
That being said, You could do a medieval Cobra theme. Kind of like they do with the medieval Batman and Spawn Mcfarlane figures.
With you recent crying about medieval theming throughout our culture, I would think this would be pretty **** hypocritical.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:26 pm

Tiberius Claudius wrote:Watching a couple episodes of GI Joe made me start thinking about how Cobra's uniforms could be transformed into garb. Some like Stormshadow and Baroness could be translated pretty directly, and I don't think Tomax and Xamot would be too hard to convert to a more medieval look, but what about Cobra Commander? What are some ideas you guys can think of to make his get up Bel legal?

Blued chain coif covering his face? Simple cloth hood? What about the silver reflective face mask on his helmet? This is just a pipe dream for me and I have no intention of making any of it; but the idea seems fun.
There's absolutely nothing hypocritical or slippery slope whatsoever about this idea. It was intended to be exactly what you mentioned Fork - Medieval themed-Cobra. Thought it was pretty obvious from the original post, but I bolded those particular points to make it clear(er).

Sorry, the discussion in WC is not going to get derailed by this distraction.

Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:22 pm

Sorry, your Cobra emblem is modern and therefore illegal.
-Ilariia Bulochnika, Esquire.
Viking Buddy
Food Craftsman
Kensman

The hero Belegarth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Viking *.
Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Knights Hollow
Unit: Empire of the Wolf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mace and Board
Flail and Board
Archery

Postby Zeldrine Cold » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:16 am

So on one hand you are saying that it is bad to have anything modern at all, but then you want to turn this stuff "medieval" in a way that everyone would still know where it comes from though? Sorry but you can't have it both ways.
Mefit the Geek wrote:You'll get what I give you and like it!
Zeldrine Cold
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Acheron
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:56 am

lol you guys, there's nothing inconsistent about following garb rules to look medieval and changing modern things to fit those rules to look medieval. As long as its sufficiently medieval looking with patterns, materials, colors, combinations of period armor, and no modern logos then its 100% compliant.

Forkbeard helped Cheeseheart do it, the Uruk-hai use their Chompy, there's a group out there that are medieval looking and have a space marine theme......these are all consistent with the rules because their garb is medieval looking. If this were even a serious idea, then of course the cobra logo would be changed to look more like a medieval representation of a snake.

All you're doing is trolling here to attempt to derail serious discussion about following the rules or changing the rules to be in line with how people actually play the game.

Now, as far as Destro goes:
This one could be fun.

For his silver head, I'd use a murder mask and spun bowl helmet, or possibly a full leather helm. Something that looked like this without being a full rigid metal helmet would be a good fit. Its important to preserve the look of a face on it.ImageImage

His torso garb could be a black or very dark blue (which was historically about as close to black as one could get) kaftan that stopped at waist level. Add some red trim or red-dyed fur to go around the neck. Pants could be hakima. Give him a black dyed kidney belt and some metallic gauntlets and bracers, and possibly even musculata if you wanted torso armor with that specific look. Throw on boots or whatever footwear you prefer and a pair of greaves and you're done.

Honestly, if someone showed up on the field looking like that before I posted this, I doubt anyone would say, "Hey, nice Destro garb" It's got a good unified eastern theme to it.

Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:39 pm

Neither of the Armstreet pieces are fully rigid, and therefore not illegal. The first is a lam piece with a re/movable faceplate. I've looked into it to use as a potential crossgame piece for Bel/Dag/SCA. The second has the non-rigid chainmaille camaille/skirting and a re/movable faceplate.

Currently, the only illegal part is the point at the top, and that can easily be replaced by a horsetail, or ground to be penny round. Otherwise, both of those examples are legal pieces.

An example of a full rigid metal helmet would be this:

And this^^ has passed at several Dag events.
-Ilariia Bulochnika, Esquire.
Viking Buddy
Food Craftsman
Kensman

The hero Belegarth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Viking *.
Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Knights Hollow
Unit: Empire of the Wolf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mace and Board
Flail and Board
Archery

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb