Plithut's Garb Gettup

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Plithut's Garb Gettup

Postby Plithut » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:00 pm

I have decided to post this to show what I advocate towards. For those of you who don't know me/see me, this is my garb. I 'play' a Gelfen-Chaos Troll who follows the path of Allah. Yes, sounds funny, but that is what I am. Through my years of traveling I have picked up many different styles and incorporated them into my own. I am open to critic as well as would love pointers on what you think I can do to make my garb look better, I am currently working on phasing our paisley prints in favor of other bandana like items. I am also working on a patchwork cloak that I hope to have done before Chaos.

These are the pictures of my garb together on the floor

Other than the re-use of my 3 sets of war braids and my belt flags, each set here is completely different, everything has been changed.
Dragoon Plithut
Sir Plithut - 17th Knight of the Highlands (Retired)
Genetically Enhanced Life Form - GELF
God Squad - Mayhem Muhammad
Hell Hammer - Slaanesh Entices
Plithut
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2002
Realm: Babylon
Unit: GodSquad-HellHammer-Gelfs
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine and Archery

Re: Plithut's Garb Gettup

Postby Archer » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:15 pm

I like to hope that someday I can have a fraction of the swag that you do.
Archer
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 26 Feb 2010
Realm: Manoa
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine, single red, not archery

Postby Plithut » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:04 am

All it takes is years of acquiring a piece here and there, it is easier than it looks.
Dragoon Plithut
Plithut
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Caleidah » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:11 am

Very nice stuff, Plithut. Love the stylistic range it covers.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby No'Vak » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:36 am

Archer wrote:I like to hope that someday I can have a fraction of the swag that you do.

Anyone who says what you wear isn't garb is a fool. Sexy as hell man.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Magpie Saegar » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:43 am

In my opinion, they get better as you scroll down. The first ones aren't bad -- just not my style. By the end of your post, I was jealous of a few pieces.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:06 pm

As an ensemble, it mostly looks.......themed, but it also looks like a mentally ill homeless man had to put on all of his possessions and 'pretties' because he was kicked out of his hovel at the same time. I get that its monster garb and about chaos and supposed to be like that though. In particular, while not my preference, I do like best all of the non-t-shirt items that are sewed out of a mish mash of random fabrics and colors. To me, those pieces are totally legit monster garb.

However, all the tie-dyed t-shirts are illegal, the modern print striped socks are illegal, all the t-shirts that are slightly modified with stuff added to them or cut up are illegal, and I possibly question the use of the keffiyeh as a modern hat or print (are the lines woven?). True, its a historical item, but I'd have to investigate more about them since they really only came to prominence in the 1960's with Arafat. Anyway, that's what I'd hit you on.

How does a troll follow Allah anyway? One's fake and the other's a fantasy creature.....I kid, I kid, but seriously, what's the RP behind that? And for your patchwork cloak.....add some scalps to it - reminded of that idea from this discussion
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby Plithut » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:28 pm

Tiberius Claudius wrote:As an ensemble, it mostly looks.......themed, but it also looks like a mentally ill homeless man had to put on all of his possessions and 'pretties' because he was kicked out of his hovel at the same time. I get that its monster garb and about chaos and supposed to be like that though. In particular, while not my preference, I do like best all of the non-t-shirt items that are sewed out of a mish mash of random fabrics and colors. To me, those pieces are totally legit monster garb.

However, all the tie-dyed t-shirts are illegal, the modern print striped socks are illegal, all the t-shirts that are slightly modified with stuff added to them or cut up are illegal, and I possibly question the use of the keffiyeh as a modern hat or print (are the lines woven?). True, its a historical item, but I'd have to investigate more about them since they really only came to prominence in the 1960's with Arafat. Anyway, that's what I'd hit you on.

How does a troll follow Allah anyway? One's fake and the other's a fantasy creature.....I kid, I kid, but seriously, what's the RP behind that? And for your patchwork cloak.....add some scalps to it - reminded of that idea from this discussion

I don't even know how to respond to this. I don't know whether to take offense to this or not, so I am going to agree to disagree with you. Our styles are different. Yes the hat is woven, as well as if I have a tunic or tabard over the top of my shirts, its not illegal. Also, your complaint about my socks, I find fascinating.

My God Squad name is Mayhem Muhammad, I'm a Gelf, and I am also in Hell Hammer. That is how I explain my characterization.
Dragoon Plithut
Plithut
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Sir Anastasia » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:42 pm

I am sorry, these are now in my "Nickleback" folder. ;) I think you look great.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:52 pm

It's not meant to be insulting, its just what the garb looks like - a large conglomeration of random things. You're a troll and that's what dirty, uncivilized monsters do. I didn't mean your beard and 'fro made you look homeless or mentally ill, just that the garb had that sort of look to it. Isn't it supposed to be shocking and contradictory to human cultural norms?

A tunic over a neutral t-shirt is legal. Neutral is beige/tan/brown/black, not any other color. Any other color t-shirt is illegal.

And your socks are a modern print. We can't have neon colored weapon covers or garb, we can't have spongebob et. al. weapon covers or garb, and we can't have factory printed stripes, designs, logos, or anything except solid colors on weapon covers or garb. If its woven, appliqued, or artistically done (and not a modern image) its legal.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Postby Plithut » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:36 pm

Tiberius Claudius wrote:And your socks are a modern print. We can't have neon colored weapon covers or garb, we can't have spongebob et. al. weapon covers or garb, and we can't have factory printed stripes, designs, logos, or anything except solid colors on weapon covers or garb. If its woven, appliqued, or artistically done (and not a modern image) its legal.

So, wait, if I screen printed my socks striped that would be okay? But because they are done by someone at a factory they are not. I believe you have a too literal interpretation of the rules. Also, my garb does not convey me any advantage, and through my own interpretation, I believe it is legal. Also, there are plenty of cultures who had access to bright colored fabrics that are period. Therefore, I believe it is within the rules.
Dragoon Plithut
Plithut
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby No'Vak » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:15 pm

Why don't we just get rid of monster garb? Then we'll see how ridiculous the game looks.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:18 pm

Tiberius Claudius wrote:And your socks are a modern print. We can't have neon colored weapon covers or garb, we can't have spongebob et. al. weapon covers or garb, and we can't have factory printed stripes, designs, logos, or anything except solid colors on weapon covers or garb. If its woven, appliqued, or artistically done (and not a modern image) its legal.

*blink*.....*blink*....*facepalm*

Do you have any idea how socks are made? The stripes are knitted into them, not printed. *facepalm*

Regardless, no where do the rules say you can't use factory created (printed or otherwise), items.

1.3.5 Any fabrics with modern prints.

This is the only vaguely relevant rule, and that takes a good deal of rules-lawyering to construe banning striped socks. In this context, "prints" refers to the images used on the fabric, not the method it is applied. (Printing on cloth AND stripes are a perfectly period, if we want to play that game.)

Otherwise you will need eliminate almost every cotton broadcloth print out there. They are all printed on the fabric by a modern machine.

Oh, and you have to eliminate all fabrics that are brocade, pre-embroidered, or have stripes woven into the fabric. Yup. Modern factory made. Same with the trims you use on your garb. Woven on a modern machine.

Actually, that's 99.9% of all fabric these days; made in an factory, by a modern machine. It's called a loom. It was invented during the "olden days".

Plithut: Not my style, but I dig it. You stay with more of the stuff at the bottom of your pics, and I definitely dig it.
-Ilariia Bulochnika, Esquire.
Viking Buddy
Food Craftsman
Kensman

The hero Belegarth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Viking *.
Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Knights Hollow
Unit: Empire of the Wolf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mace and Board
Flail and Board
Archery

Postby Caleidah » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:00 pm

Yup, there are t-shirts included. It's visible in one (1) picture out of the whooooole set. It is not detracting from the image and, while it is against the letter of the rules, it is not violating the spirit of the rules. The presentation of his garb as a whole is wonderful.

Spirit>Letter
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Svartroxi Angismar » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:15 am

I would also like to point out that there is no part of the garb section of the BOW that says anything about any colors being banned except for the explicit use of brightly colored t-shirts and any color of jeans. As such tie-die is in no way illegal, also not to hard to make reasonable room for practically any color you can think of with medieval fantasy available to us. There are weird colored plants and animals all over the place in fantasy worlds and its not to far fetched to believe that someone would have been able to make a dye for these colors.
Call me Ox, it's easier I promise.
Svartroxi Angismar
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2000
Realm: Rath
Unit: Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Hitting youse before youse hits me!

Postby Cheeseheart » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:20 am

Archer wrote:I like to hope that someday I can have a fraction of the swag that you do.
Sir Cheeseheart the Defiant
Founder of the Sith Empire
2nd Knight of the Western Flame

"I'll take character over reputation..."
Sith Happens
See you at Battle for the Ring XI: Journey to Hyrule
Cheeseheart
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2008
Realm: Korriban
Unit: First Order of the Sith Empire
Favorite Fighting Styles: Using the Dark Side

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:53 am

Yep, I was wrong on the prints. It's not just any pre-made print but something either of a modern logo/design or something that couldn't / wasn't made in the time period. Socks pass.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28756

However, Ilariia, pre-made woven/brocade/embroidered would not be illegal because the rule only bans the prints.

Svartroxi, the rule bans all of the brightly colored/pocketed/white t-shirts because they're t-shirts that draw attention to the fact that they're t-shirts. The colors themselves aren't in question, except for anything neon, which he doesn't have on. So, yes, tie-dye on a t-shirt is illegal because its not a neutrally colored t-shirt. It's the rules man, not an opinion.

Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Postby Spike » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:35 am

Hey dude, how's your GI Joe thread doing?
Spike
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 9- 0-2003
Realm: Pyke
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Forkbeard » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:29 am

Fake tibby, you are never going to get anywhere talking **** on the stiches in peoples clothes. People WILL use sewing machines, and there is NOTHING wrong with that.
I with you that bright colored T-shirts are illegal, it says so right in the BoW. First forbidden item:brightly colored T's.
BUT
There is nothing in the rules about stitching. We do not want to push everyone into all brown tunics and hose. That would never work and would look dumb if it did.
Plithute, I love you garb. Every piece that you made or had made( tie dyed t's aside) is beautiful and a great example to everyone. Thank you for putting so much work into it. You have clearly put in more effort than any of your haters.
While your style is pretty far from what I like to wear, it is bad * and would look good anywhere.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Plithut » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:20 am

1.3.1 T-shirts that are brightly colored, white, with visible logos, with visible collars, and or visible pockets.

If we are going with a literal interpretation, then I believe, that literally, you need to have ALL of these things on a T-shirt. That is the way that I interpret this rule. I get no advantage from it.

Also, non of my t-shirts are tie-dyed. Bleach was purposely spilled on them, but never tie-dyed.

Tiberius, its people like you who take all the fun from the game for me. It no longer holds the same luster it used to because I have to sit here and fight with someone who is unwilling to budge. Ill never be in period outfits, sorry, and I am sorry that we now don't like each other due to these conversations.
Dragoon Plithut
Plithut
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Svartroxi Angismar » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:09 am

Tiberius Claudius wrote:We can't have neon colored weapon covers or garb....

My comment was more responding to this particular statement rather than to items individually.
Svartroxi Angismar
Underling
Underling

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:16 pm

Fork, where were we talking about stitching? I don't remember that. I don't think I ever said that use of a sewing machine was illegal. In another thread I said that I prefer to use them only on interior seams, but they're certainly not illegal.

Well Plithut, I think its a sad statement and speaks to your character that being asked to seriously assess whether or not you are following the rules takes the fun out of games for you and that you don't like me because we differ on opinions, but if you need to take disagreements on the internet personally then ok, I cannot help that. I neither like nor dislike you only because we've never met, and certainly nothing on the internet affects that on my end. You don't have to sit here and argue anything. You put up your garb and asked for responses and you got them. If you don't want them or don't want to argue then either don't put them out there or don't respond. I'm only unwilling to budge where the rules are concerned because it is a matter of character for me to obey rules; its the honorable thing to do and I can't go against that. Why have rules at all if we're not going to use them? Change the rules to better reflect what the current players of Belegarth want and we'll have no bone to pick. If I want the rules to stay the same then I can lobby for that. When a decision is reached, or even if this limbo state continues, then anyone is free to leave the game if they don't like it or where the game is headed. Until then, it is what it is, regardless of popular opinion.

Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Postby Solusar » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:31 pm

That coat at the very end makes me so jealous. I want one. I also like all the tunics/long sleeve stuff you made. Fabulous. You truly have your own style and I like that.
But (out):
1.3.1 T-shirts that are brightly colored, white, with visible logos, with visible collars, and or visible pockets.

I'm not defending Tiberius, just saying you can't interpret the rule to be inclusive of all those things. It says "And/or" pretty clearly. Now I'm not saying you shouldn't wear non brown t-shirts under tabards/armor because I did that for like six years, I JUST got a real garb top instead of my cut off Darkest Hour shirt, so you're light years ahead of me and a lot of the east coast/midwest Dag.
Also, tie-dying is period. Suck it.
One last thing. How do you make you stand alone garb sleeves. I need some and I'm unsure how to make them. I have one started but progress is slow.
Squire Solusar Oma'Ragh McFeelgood, the Usurper
Squire to Sir Rune of Mittlemarch
I fight Dagorhir, but I'm still cool somehow.
Solusar
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2001
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, Red, Red +back shield,

Postby Rocca » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:40 pm

Tiberius Claudius wrote:Well Plithut, I think its a sad statement and speaks to your character that being asked to seriously assess whether or not you are following the rules takes the fun out of games for you and that you don't like me because we differ on opinions,

NO.

Its not about having to seriously assess. Its about you being a passive aggressive *.

Fork says the same **** as you all the time, yet isn't as much of a chode . . .
Rocca
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2002
Realm: Babylon Empire
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, archery
Pronouns: She / Her

Postby Svartroxi Angismar » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:12 pm

He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he does his stand alone sleeves similarly to how I've made them. Which is basically just two tubes (more or less) with a strip connecting it either across the back and front or across the top with a neck hole.
Svartroxi Angismar
Underling
Underling

Postby Solusar » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:50 pm

Svartroxi Angismar wrote:He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he does his stand alone sleeves similarly to how I've made them. Which is basically just two tubes (more or less) with a strip connecting it either across the back and front or across the top with a neck hole.

That part is obvious, but I know that sleeves are not uniform tubes. I'm wearing a long sleeve shirt right now, I can can see where it tapers. I also know that I need to allow a little extra room for my elbow to move.
What do you mean "across the top with a neck hole" exactly?
Solusar
Hero
Hero

Postby Acorn » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:15 pm

Solusar, they are tubes that are sewn closed until about 2-3 inches above the elbow. Then you fit a strap across the front, put your arms in the sleeves, and have a friend help fit straps in a "x" across the back. Fold as needed so it lays mostly flat. He got the pattern from Troll. Perhaps there will eventually be a tutorial, but until then, the easiest way to do it is to try and see what works and what doesn't. I highly recommend them; sleeves are awesome.

and TC, Bel is a HOBBY that ANYONE can pick up. You can't say, "you're not bel because x,y,z" and have that actually carry ANY weight unless it is at YOUR event. Because we have set up the game like paintball where anyone can play you will find a wide variety of people who follow all the rules, follow most of the rules, follow some of the rules, and follow only the fighting rules. ALL consider themselves Bel and unless we make an official membership list or have penalties for anyone claiming that who isn't following the BoW to the T, for all intents and purposes THEY ARE RIGHT. Just as YOU are right that they aren't following all of the BoW. But so what? What are you gonna do about it? NOTHING. AND ISN'T THAT A *?

Whether this SHOULD be the case is a different discussion for a different thread, but keep this fact in mind as you move forward and maybe you won't continually come off as a pretentious "period" nazi ass-hole. (something I DON'T think you intend and hopefully aren't but that you DO come off like online.)

and for the record, Plithut looks fly as ****.
Da'Nut,Catalyst: Tail of the Cataclusmos, Valkyries, Sus at BEST

Sare wrote:Acorn is the very template of awesome.
Acorn
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2002
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, Spear Frenzy

Postby Svartroxi Angismar » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:21 pm

Imagine if you were to take a long sleeve shirt and cut across the width of the shirt right under the armpit. So you would have the sleeves and the part that covers the top of the shoulders. I've tried two different things for the sleeves, the first I just make a uniform tube that would cover the length from collar bone - to desired length and just kinda make a slit on the 'under side' a bit at a time till it works and just repeat for the other side, the other is basically the same only I end up cutting out a square where the armpit is and just reinforce those areas so they don't fizzle on me. I've never had issues with elbows but I also have a habit of making anything that goes over a joint either obtusely round or out of some stretch-knit or lyrca based fabric.
Svartroxi Angismar
Underling
Underling

Postby Plithut » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:00 pm

Soulsar -

I'm saying that through differentiation in interpretation rules can become muddled. You cannot tell me how I interpret them, but you are able to influence my thoughts. If someone is going to interpret them to be a * towards me, Ill interpret them to be a * right back. I know its petty, and childish, but I think the whole thing is anyways. All I want to see is more garb. I want to see better garb, and I believe

That being said, I make my sleeves a single sleeve at a time. I create a rectangle of fabric from the top of my shoulder to my writs. Like Acorn said, I sew it into a tube about 2"-3" above my elbows. Once both tubes are created I pin a single piece of fabric to the front and an x across the back. Its fairly easy.
Dragoon Plithut
Plithut
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:46 pm

Acorn, of course one can say that someone isn't playing Bel because of x, y, or z, that's why we have rules - to distinguish us from other games. You are right that none of us can enforce the rules unless we are hosting the event, which has its advantages and disadvantages. What we can do, and what I'm doing here, is to lobby for a neutral adherence to the rules because it is the unashamedly and irrefutably right thing to do. It's not about harshing on someone's mellow. It's not about being punitive or inconsistently applying standards to subjectively good/bad looking styles. It's about the rule of law. Just because something is popularly done does not make it correct when there are concrete rules in existence. Make the laws fit the desires of the majority, whatever it may be.

And so, Rocca, is this why you feel I'm passive aggressive, because I'm not lying down to the will of the rule breakers? I'm being 'obstructionist' in the supposed expectations of interpersonal situations? You feel I exhibit a pervasive pattern of negative attitudes? Rubbish. My inflexibility and expression of it is limited to this concrete example of a rules violation. I am unapologetic for standing up for what I believe is right, and in this particular case it is completely objective. Should the rules change then I would defend them as well. What isn't so objective, are the inflammatory responses of both of you ladies. Your real-world influenced bias is not unnoticed. And as politely and objectively as possible, I suggest you consider recusing yourselves from this individual discussion.

Obey or change the rules. Plain and simple, fair for all. I'm done.

Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Postby Acorn » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:05 pm

TC, I feel that your lobbying is a good idea from your stand point since the rules currently DON'T fairly represent how many people play and they don't have a limit or guild line for fantasy either. I disagree with you but i can see where you're coming from. I strongly feel that you mis-represent your intentions with the way you come off online and that you would be better served with less definitive language. But hey, at least you HAVE discussions. I can't even get Arrakis to respond thoughtfully. So kudos.

and I'm not actually sure that having the rules reflect the majority IS a good idea. You may be disappointed to find that the majority DOESN'T CARE enough to nit pick or pay attention to other peoples garb. If the rules reflected that I feel they would be stretched even father than they already are. But again, that is a discussion for a different thread.

Acorn
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Plithut » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:12 pm

Tiberius - You and I obviously have interpretation differences, I'm not going to to sit here and continue to argue the rules. That is not the point of this thread. I understand and appreciate your agenda, I do not like the way you go about it, you go about it painting everything in black and whites. I believe everything is shades of grey. Everyone has biases, and I understand that you see people I know sticking up for my points, and while you are saying things politely, its similar to shaking a hand and stabbing in the back at the same time. Everything you have said recently has teeth. Ill do my best from now on to avoid you, I request that you do the same.
Dragoon Plithut
Plithut
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Akbar the Foul » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:09 pm

Tiberius Claudius wrote:Image
Akbar the Foul
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 14 Nov 2000
Favorite Fighting Styles: gravitational fat

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:46 pm

Spike wrote:Hey dude, how's your GI Joe thread doing?

Damnit Spike, you beat me to it.
If Tubby * seriously wants to be on the desolate wasteland that is our/Babylon's collective **** List, let him; I highly suggest just blocking his irascible * to save you some stress. It's actually quite nice and has helped alleviate a lot of the stress associated with such self-professed trolls.
Also Pthug? I remember being super inspired and jealous of your garb the first time I met you and Rosse at WW4(the year of the Six-gallon carboy of vodka lol). Still super jealous btw.

I'm rocking garb pretty much lifted verbatim(so to speak) from Avatar the Last Airbender; Firebenders for the win. If you tell me that because my garb is based off a (badass) cartoon that I cannot play the game and have to wear some boring-ass medieval hosiery/codpiece combo I'm going to personally make sure your garb is as up to snub as your snobby * is forcing me to be. I'm working on legit Varagian garb circa 1100 A.D. for SCA/EMP and can't wait to debut it at an event, but until then I'm going to wear some comfy, badass, legit-looking garb(socks with stripes! oh noes!) while I crush your short ribs and/or kidneys.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Black Cat » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:02 pm

This is my opinion of Fake Tibby's rules lawyering and general attitude in his posts over the last month or so.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LawfulStupid

And this quote explains why:
Plithut wrote:Tiberius - You and I obviously have interpretation differences, I'm not going to to sit here and continue to argue the rules. That is not the point of this thread. I understand and appreciate your agenda, I do not like the way you go about it, you go about it painting everything in black and whites. I believe everything is shades of grey. Everyone has biases, and I understand that you see people I know sticking up for my points, and while you are saying things politely, its similar to shaking a hand and stabbing in the back at the same time. Everything you have said recently has teeth. Ill do my best from now on to avoid you, I request that you do the same.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Postby Kage » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:02 pm

I've never had a problem with Plithut's garb and I have attended lots of events with him. He even had to point out the T-shirt in another thread so people could see it because it blends in with his garb and is fairly neutral at that point. The orange and yellow he uses are NOT brightly colored compared to some that I have seen worn on the field and around camps. Also as much as I really don't like to put it out there for fear of abuse. T-shirts can be worn as long as they are neutral and not distracting. I by no means am advocating the wearing of t-shirts for garb, but Plithut's is passing because its basically neutral (blends in), and he covers it up with a tabard or jacket when he is on the field. It's minimal but I'm sure he would be close to agreeing with me on that. This doesn't mean you can make a hot pink outfit. I've seen it tried and you will look like a gigantic pig, plus that's when it does cross the line into bright distracting colors.

1.2.1.1 Neutral colored t-shirts, with no visible printing, or sports bras may be worn underneath a tunic or tabard.

Black and white by the letter of the rules Plithut's garb is passing easily. If people want to argue that yellow and orange are brightly colored or better yet non period they are breaking rule 1.4. Also I would generally look at people who tried with a dumbfounded look on my face because it would be unsportsmanlike at that point to engage in a battle of wits with the person I would now see as unarmed.

Even though I consider Plithut a good friend he and I have had differences in rule interpretations, and this one I closely agree with him it's minimal garb with the T-shirt but garb. Speaking of which bud we should get together and see about adding "rigid" to that armor rule; send me a pm and tell me what you think. Oh and kick * garb buddy keep up the good work, and I will do the same.
Kage
21st Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Ebonhold
Coffee with Kage
Kage
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Ebonhold

Postby Plithut » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:03 am

Kage, I would love to work on some wording with you in regards to that rule. I'll PM you soon.
Dragoon Plithut
Plithut
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Cheeseheart » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:32 am

ALL consider themselves Bel and unless we make an official membership list or have penalties for anyone claiming that who isn't following the BoW to the T, for all intents and purposes THEY ARE RIGHT. Just as YOU are right that they aren't following all of the BoW. But so what? What are you gonna do about it? NOTHING. AND ISN'T THAT A *?

This is questionable. Please consider mine and my realm's history in this sport. We were unhesitatingly criticized for many of our practices...and we were never considered to be "right."

Sith Happens
Cheeseheart
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Rocca » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:43 am

Just curious Cheese -

which one's? I know you were ragged on for your sith unit . . . otherwise, what?

If you're talking about no garb enforced at practice (which I remember you do) the college realm that I founded does the same thing, got a little ragged on, but its still "right." we have house rules too, like no arrows in rain, and are still considered a bele realm. Unless you didn't adhere to weapon standards or made a TON of rule changes, it still counts as bele . . .
Rocca
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2002
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, archery
Pronouns: She / Her

Postby Cheeseheart » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:54 am

It wasn't just the practices, it was the events that we hosted (this year, BftR will be using the full Book of War). We also, for a long time, discouraged truly heavy combat (there are some inklings of this coming back, much to my disappointment). The Sith unit didn't necessarily break any rules, but, arguably, did go against Belegarth's expectations of medievalness. In my eyes, both things were far less issues about following the rules as they were issues about refusing to follow a standard or be truly a part of the Belegarth culture. Which is where I think all of these discussions are stemming from: what we wear, how we run our events, what we do at our practices, they are all contributing to a standard which is to be upheld and a culture that is to be a created, and the fear is that the standards are low (and getting lower) and the culture is NOT medieval (and becoming far less so). Is it a fear that I necessarily share on all accounts? Not really. But the reason why these issues are SO **** IMPORTANT to me is that I am wholeheartedly concerned with knowing what exactly that culture/standard is or what direction it will be going in so that I can help my realm properly represent it.

Sith Happens
Cheeseheart
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:18 am

Bel is growing and changing all the time. It's not what it was 20, 10 or even 3 years ago. It will continue to change and evolve, refining itself as the community grows. Which we need it to do. If say you have a unit of kid new to the sport walking out onto the field wearing scrubs, sweats, tennis shoes and tshirts, the bare minimum garb then that reflects badly on what a lot of Bel represents; fantasy/medieval themed Combat. Not necessarily a reenactment considering the weapons we use or the lax adherence to period rules.
We have a vast majority of people like the Sith, or Gelfs, or Hellhammer, or UrukHai, or EBF or almost every unit that makes a presence at national events being based on a fantasy background, with lore, garb, style and personas being lifted verbitum from fictional literature, myths and legend. And we have a burgeoning Period community, which I am excited at the chance to partake in. But Belegarth as a whole isn't just about period rules enforcement. It's about the community and the togetherness associated with it. You don't get the same type of friendships or thick-as-thieves tribes elsewhere as often as you do in Bel or our cousin hobbyists in the LARP community. Adhering to a strict period persona is as much LARPing as tossing spell-packets at furries waving around fun noodle wands. In a MUCH better way, don't get me wrong; as I've stated before I'm stoked to rock a Varagian Guard in the SCA/EMP. But not so much Bel.
I don't want to be bogged down by a bunch of rules-lawerying measuring every single stich and scrap of garb I have. If I look good, acceptable and maybe have a couple pieces of modernity on me, then so the **** what? Really? Are you gonna take me off the field for this? Is it really that important to you? Am I really ruining your play, your fun by wearing striped socks? Or a tshirt sans modern print? Or sunglasses, a fedora, five-finger shoes or goddamnit Under Armor? If it's really gonna make you so sick to your stomach that you can't take another moment of it, maybe you should find somewhere else to pursue your ideal dream for a hobby, because that's not here, not in my game, not on my field.
Seriously?
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Solusar » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:02 pm

Plithut wrote:That being said, I make my sleeves a single sleeve at a time. I create a rectangle of fabric from the top of my shoulder to my writs. Like Acorn said, I sew it into a tube about 2"-3" above my elbows. Once both tubes are created I pin a single piece of fabric to the front and an x across the back. Its fairly easy.

I'm still a little confused. Are you saying you don't make individual stand alone sleeves, but more like mantles with both sleeves attatched? Or is it most like the sleeves are individual but just connected at one point, then obviously the straps. I'm not trying so much to make a pair or set right now as I am just trying to get one made to figure it all out. The biggest concern I have right now is how mobile it will be around my shoulder, and how wide I need to make the opening. The one I'm making isn't for fighting though, I feel I should say. I'll make those later once I get this **** figured out.
I hope you don't mind me blatantly ripping of your western style ;p

I also meant to PM this but I'm a **** moron. lol
Last edited by Solusar on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solusar
Hero
Hero

Postby Plithut » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:19 pm

Please by all means, rip it off. Each sleeve is a uniform tube that is baggy enough to allow for movement without restriction. The sleeves are stand alone so I can just put them on/take them off depending on the weather. If you would like me to, I would be more than happy to make a step by step tutorial on how its done.

Here are some pictures, of them being attached, sorry for the poor quality. My cell phone is... touchy when it comes to taking good pictures.

I pin the back straps with my arms stretched forward, this allows me to have freedom of movement without being concerned of ripping seams or anything
Dragoon Plithut
Plithut
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Acorn » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:23 pm

nice shirt.

Acorn
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Solusar » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:41 pm

Okay, it all makes much more sense now. Mega righteous and thank you.
Yes please do a tutorial. I'm sure when I go back to work on it I'll have small construction questions. And there are not enough Amt/Bel/Dag-centric garb tutorials out there. And what better way to lead by example?
Solusar
Hero
Hero

Postby Zeldrine Cold » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:51 pm

I second the want for a tutorial. I have always liked these kinds of sleeves and would like to be able to hide my under armor better.
Mefit the Geek wrote:You'll get what I give you and like it!
Zeldrine Cold
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Acheron
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Arrakis » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:08 pm

Plithut wrote:Ill never be in period outfits, sorry, and I am sorry that we now don't like each other due to these conversations.

Actually, this

Plithut wrote:Image

Is one replacement away from being as period as Belegarth ever really gets: Make a long (just an inch shorter or a few inches longer than the coat), slender-cut (cotton, linen, or silk) tunic with short sleeves, preferably in the Turkish fashion (holla if you want the pattern), to wear under the coat instead of the t-shirt and you'd look 100% awesome in my book.

I really like that particular outfit; the way it looks says "medieval (Persian/Arabic) fantasy" to me. I believe is has to do with the cut and drape of the outfit as much as with the period-appropriateness of each piece.

Some pieces, like the vests and the home-made t-shirts, prevent outfits in which they're central from looking like garb to me, despite relatively period pants and the (very period in concept) detachable/detached sleeves (typically made to be pointed onto the body of the garment or laced on via eyelets, of course, rather than tied across the body, but that method of attachment is also plausibly period and can look very good on monsters with less sophisticated-looking garb).

If you lengthen the shorter "t-shirt tunics" like this one:

by about 8 inches and flare it out just about 8 more inches around the circumference of the hem and you'll look 100x "better" to my somewhat-more-period-attuned eyes. Then, you're wearing something that is both a tunic and would be seen "in the wild" with pants like the ones you're wearing in that image. Of course, then I'd also want to change the shape of the tabard to something that would look less out-of-place (maybe widen it to meet on the sides but leave the bottom part skinny), but then I'd just be trying to make you look even better.

The modern vests I really can't condone. The patchwork vest looks infinitely better than the ones that look like someone took a tux vest and put some patches and/or dye on it.

However:

I **** LOVE the keffiyeh and agal. 100% period, excellent improvement to silhouette, even makes the vest look not so bad in that picture, just because of the effect it has on the overall "look" of the outfit. There's basically nothing like a good head covering to improve your medievallookingness by a few orders of magnitude. If you wore the keffiyeh and agal with the last outfit you posted, with the quilted Qaba/Kaftan in it, even the t-shirt wouldn't be particularly objectionable, especially if you cut the ribbed neckline out of it. With the tunic style I suggested above? Fuggetaboutit. Fly as hell, period with a fantastical twist, exactly what I feel Belegarth really thirsts for, as a concept.

Anyway, just my thoughts. I may have to post my own current garb outfits, from fully period through mostly stickjock, just for counterexample...
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Plithut » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:24 pm

Arrakis wrote:Anyway, just my thoughts. I may have to post my own current garb outfits, from fully period through mostly stickjock, just for counterexample...

Thank you Arrakis, I really appreciate the input, you actually have given me some idea's for modifying my t-shirts. I would also love to see your garb, because we can never have too many resources.

Also, I would LOVE that pattern. I've been trying to gather more middle eastern garb for myself.
Dragoon Plithut
Plithut
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Arrakis » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:51 pm

Plithut wrote:
Arrakis wrote:Anyway, just my thoughts. I may have to post my own current garb outfits, from fully period through mostly stickjock, just for counterexample...

Thank you Arrakis, I really appreciate the input, you actually have given me some idea's for modifying my t-shirts. I would also love to see your garb, because we can never have too many resources.

Also, I would LOVE that pattern. I've been trying to gather more middle eastern garb for myself.

I'll send you my Middle Eastern Garb folder.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Plithut » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:47 pm

I'm close to being done with making another pair of sleeves for the tutorial. I need my partner to come home this evening, she will help me fit my sleeves so I can show you properly.
Dragoon Plithut
Plithut
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Next

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb