Looking for Gypsy/Romanian garb patterns or info

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Looking for Gypsy/Romanian garb patterns or info

Postby Svartroxi Angismar » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:36 pm

What the title says. I'm looking for some patterns or information and whatnot to draw some inspiration from.
Call me Ox, it's easier I promise.
Svartroxi Angismar
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2000
Realm: Rath
Unit: Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Hitting youse before youse hits me!

Re: Looking for Gypsy/Romanian garb patterns or info

Postby Nuri » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:15 pm

There is not a wealth of information, to be honest, and what there is is usually later period than what Belegarth would portray historically.

Here is a site with depictions of people/groups being labeled as "gypsies starting in 1475: http://larsdatter.com/romani.htm
Whether or not they are Roma is debatable, and the clothing may not be accurate. Mostly women are depicted.

Most of the same art, but with a pattern for what seems to be a commonality: a chemise and drape: http://buttery.org/marian/Gypsy_dress/drape_main.htm

Then you run into the problem of where your character is from: A European Roma will probably wear clothing different from those groups in the Middle East. And there's different thoughts on if they had different clothing at all, or tried to blend in.

My advice is to figure out a region/time period first, develop a little bit of a persona, and look for garb that would fit that. Be very careful when looking things up, sources for Roma anything range from bigoted POS to merely wrong to excellent.

For myself: I play a Belegarth-adapted Domari from Turkey. My garb is based on Entari's and eventually salwar (my linen harems do for now), which are adapted with bit of belegarth's fantasy culture.
Kumpania Del Ruv
Nuri
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2002
Realm: Wolfpack
Unit: Kumpania Del Ruv

Re: Looking for Gypsy/Romanian garb patterns or info

Postby Svartroxi Angismar » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:31 pm

I'm honestly just in search of some inspiration material and was thinking doing my and my gf's garb with a Roma twist would be neat. I'm a monster and I personally am looking to 'create' some kinda unique for myself in the very least.

Thanks for the info. It'll be a good starting point.
Call me Ox, it's easier I promise.
Svartroxi Angismar
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2000
Realm: Rath
Unit: Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Hitting youse before youse hits me!

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb