WTH are these things...

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

WTH are these things...

Postby Flynn Cu Maige » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:13 pm

Ok yes im aware that theres a thread like 3 posts down about these, someone already necroed it and it got no responses.

Im curious about those single sleeve garb pieces. purely because they look cool and remind me of the starting out fit in Twilight Princess, which is a garb set id love to make.

Any who i was told that in the game of Belegarth if i wear one of these i will automatically be assumed to be a goblin. im guessing this is because of that whole goblin sex organ thing i dont completly understand. is this true? im asking because i never really plan to play as a goblin or monster.
Once you have taken a few punches and realized your not made of glass,you don't feel alive unless your pushing yourself as far as you can go.
Flynn Cu Maige
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 01 Jun 2008
Realm: Talinor
Unit: Order of Endor
Favorite Fighting Styles: Red,Two Weapon, S&B, Archery.

Re: WTH are these things...

Postby Caleidah » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:18 pm

A pic of what you're referencing would be nice.

Apart from that, the separate sleeves (if we're talking the same thing) are just something that has more traditionally been used by monsters or more "feral" characters (Solusar wears one, being a Drow barbarian) and it fits the look well. That doesn't mean that a human or non-feral can't wear them, it just means that you'd have to alter the style to fit what you're looking for.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Flynn Cu Maige » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:29 pm

quick i need the fastest way to get pics from my desktop to here were im typing..then maybe i can stop describing crap lol
Once you have taken a few punches and realized your not made of glass,you don't feel alive unless your pushing yourself as far as you can go.
Flynn Cu Maige
Underling
Underling

Postby Caleidah » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:30 pm

imgur.com
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Flynn Cu Maige » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:39 pm

ok so the one on the left is the STYLE i usually wear except i use Vietnam era air force boots. all leather FTW. and i wear about 3 leather belts and lots of hangy decorations. my color scheme is greens, greys, browns and blacks. Pretty basic in my opinion. just goin for a warrior look.

heres the arm thing. basicly what i want it to be is just an accessory common to my people (who are still in development and will stay there a while) for me being a warrior i was going to put my symbol and my unit colors on it so it looks a bit more useful
Flynn Cu Maige
Underling
Underling

Postby Galya » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:48 pm

Ah. I figured that's what you're talking about. Traditionally, the single sleeve is something that Bugbears use to cover their dominant arm as part of the race's lore. So yeah, initial impression by most people would be "bugbear", or "monster" at the very least. But, like Cale said, if you stylized it to fit your garb, it could probably work fine.
Galya Grikhunter, former Belegarth Secretary, Horde Commander, and War Council representative.
Still an admin though, because people trust me or something. ;)
Blood Valley HoRdE: Massacring the Midwest since 2004
She/Her/Hers

Forkbeard wrote:So, you can't decide if that is Galya or Par? I have to admit, I mistake Par for an old woman regularly. But Galya is a beautiful and intelligent lady. I'd never mistake her for him.
Galya
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 13 Sep 2006
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: dah HoRdE
Favorite Fighting Styles: Board and Bat
Pronouns: She/Her

Postby Flynn Cu Maige » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:14 pm

Thank you guys for your assistance and in formation.
Flynn Cu Maige
Underling
Underling

Postby Acorn » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:32 pm

it should also be noted that out west lots of people wear sleeves and most of us have little to no characters, myself included. Because of my eclectic garb, I have been told that out east i would be taken as a monster even though i don't play one and imo that's fine. lots of monsters are my buds anyways.

wear what you want dude. don't worry about other peoples impressions or pre-conceived ideas.

EDIT: for clarity: the garb in my avatar is not my normal garb, as that was special monster garb for monster day at CW. if you're painting your face then you are intentionally looking monstery. sleeves, not the same thing.
Da'Nut,Catalyst: Tail of the Cataclusmos, Valkyries, Sus at BEST

Sare wrote:Acorn is the very template of awesome.
Acorn
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2002
Realm: Babylon Empire
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, Spear Frenzy

Postby Flynn Cu Maige » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:40 pm

ok sounds good. umm i were war paint when i can but thats more an ancestor inspired thing....id love to make real woad... but any ways thanks for the clarification.. i remember that out fit from last year it was pretty bad *. i know what you mean by your other garb too i saw you alot on the field and around the event. pretty savage style.
Flynn Cu Maige
Underling
Underling

Postby Acorn » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:46 pm

why thank you.

i sometimes do pict paint (with the same food coloring) too. so does Remy. and if you're interested in real woad, there is a supplier somewhere. Hammaran has some and is planning on bringing it to CW so perhaps us irish kids can all paint up one day or something.
Da'Nut,Catalyst: Tail of the Cataclusmos, Valkyries, Sus at BEST

Sare wrote:Acorn is the very template of awesome.
Acorn
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2002
Realm: Babylon Empire
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, Spear Frenzy

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:13 pm

I am rocking a Fin/Rus trader/merchant transposed to the Byzantium empire look this year, and will probably going to rock this on my my forehead alongside this year, I'll save the woad for when I'm rocking the urban-ranger look ala picts lol. Such a nerd. Anyway, I'm probably going to make temp. tattoos so as I can wash it off after fighting and for easy application.
Protection Rune Aegishjalmur (usually worn under helm, etched into helm or on the forehead)
I like this design because it also gives it a slighty Vedic feel, which at some point I'd like to start introducing more Indian flavor into my kit.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Flynn Cu Maige » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:18 pm

Hell yea Acorn sounds like an idea. not sure if ill make Chaos this year but ill sure as hell try to. so far ill definitely be at western wars. But that might be it this year. we'll see.

Remy thats pretty savage man. not really the same thing but a tradition of thai fighters inspired me to do something similar. i usually always have a bandana on my forehead so i take a lucky coin or small charm,fold it in the cloth and wear it centered. usully the charm is a gift from a friend or religious leader. the one i use now is my laminated 5 leaf clover. used to be a guitar pick till i broke it. its meant to bring good fortune and protection.. like i said not the same but similar.

as for my paint style its usullay really primitive. alot of the time its just 3 fingers diagnally across the face. somtimes an eye band and chin stripe. really simple primitive stuff.
Flynn Cu Maige
Underling
Underling

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:33 pm

Yeah, I'm definetly going to be stressing on doing the rune in the correct manner ie meditation and might mix my blood or saliva into the ink cuz I'm THAT nerdy lol
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Flynn Cu Maige » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:47 pm

Thats pretty cool man. i like it. its cool when stuff like that can be done. ive just never had a hand for it.
Flynn Cu Maige
Underling
Underling

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb