Gambeson Project, Help Needed (Finished, Pic Heavy)

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Gambeson Project, Help Needed (Finished, Pic Heavy)

Postby Korbin the Mad » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:24 am

So while at Joann's buying fabric for sewing projects, I happened across a material that inspired an idea. It is two layers of fabric with diamond-shaped stitching patterned over it, and cotton padding inside. As soon as I saw it, I saw an easy gambeson.

Now that my other sewing projects are concluded, I want to give this a run. I'm heading to Joann's in the next couple days to pick some up. What I need from you folks is a tutorial or, at the very least, an explained pattern on how to make a gambeson. I'm expecially fond of long gambesons that have the detachable sleeves.

Ive found a few patters through Google, but (A) most of them involve quilting, and (B) I would much rather have something tested by Bel fighters.

So has anyone made a gambeson lately? :P

EDIT: This project is finished. Scroll down to see!
Last edited by Korbin the Mad on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
Korbin Arhantas Dunamai
Korbin the Mad|House Dunamai
Mad Lord of House Dunamai and the Madlands
Usufructary of Ancilla Ignis
Korbin the Mad
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0-10-2003
Realm: Arnor
Unit: House Dunamai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mace and Board
Spear
Archery

Re: Gambeson Project, Help Needed

Postby Arrakis » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:54 am

That fabric is crap. It's too thin, the "padding" is too thin, it's synthetic (read: hot as balls). It's useful for making those "quilted-look" purses and the like, but not for any garment, especially if you want a real gambeson that will provide padding under armor or ablate blunt force trauma.

The easy way to make a gambeson is to cut all of the pieces for a tunic twice with like 4 inch seam allowances on every edge, quilt the corresponding pieces together with several layers of natural batting in between, then finish construction as usual. I recommend heavy linen for the outer shell and medium-weight linen for the inner shell. Wool or cotton or bamboo batting should do the job.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:04 am

Cherry Stone has got some pretty * ****. lol
http://cherry-stone.deviantart.com/favourites/9396170#/d1nrr4g
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:19 am

Sexy and hot as hell Remy.

I used Arrakis' idea about 10 years ago when I did Roman re-enacting. Linen is light, cheap, and pads just fine. I had the advantage of keeping mine hidden under armor and adhering to 2000 year old standards so it didn't have to look pretty like a medieval item. For filling i used a couple old 100% cotton sweatshirts and some cotton batting. Only the outside needed to look it.

Here's the website I got a lot of my information from.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby Arrakis » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:23 am

Remy the Wroth wrote:Cherry Stone has got some pretty * ****. lol
http://cherry-stone.deviantart.com/favourites/9396170#/d1nrr4g
nice tutorial goes here

Nice. Beware using buckles on anything you're actually going to wear under armor or into combat; getting stabbed hard directly on a buckle through maille is bound to be ****.
Arrakis

Postby Korbin the Mad » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:37 pm

Thank you for your replies. I believe I have enough here to go on. But I feel I should clarify exactly what it is I want out of this gambeson.

It will not be worn under armor. The armor I wear is light and comfortable enough that all I need is a shirt, no padding. As such, this gambeson will serve only to look well-padded for the sake of looking like a gambeson. It will probably not be fight gear excepting maybe in colder months anyway, so the synthetic fabric is no bother.

I want this to be cheap and easy like a tavern wench. I still think that fabric is worth a shot. I will use some of the pattern linked here as well as some other sources I've found and will post pics of the process/final product. Worst case scenario, I trash the fabric and learn a little more about the pattern to make a better one in the future.
ImageImageImage
Korbin Arhantas Dunamai
Korbin the Mad
Monkey
Monkey

Spear
Archery

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:37 am

Korbin wrote:I want this to be cheap and easy like a tavern wench.

*groan*
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Postby Korbin the Mad » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:42 am

The gambeson is finished and has been tested at practice as fight garb. It has turned out very well, I think. I made a few mistakes and learned from them, but overall I am satisfied. Below are pics of the process as well as the final product.

Bear in mind, I'm very new to machine sewing. I've been hand sewing for a long time but other than belt flags, this is the first garment I've sewn. I made some noob mistakes but I'm still learning. Also, forgive the grainy pics. My iPhone is really the only camera I have. Here goes:

I used the pattern/tutorial listed above, but primarily I followed one I found as a Google result >>here<<.

This is the fabric I used. Pre-quilted fabric from Jo-Ann's. It's a poly-cotton fabric with cotton stuffing, sewn down with a diamond pattern. I bought two yards of burgundy and two of wood brown; the fabric was priced at $10/yd but I got it half off

I began by taking my measurements, as per the the tutorials. ThenI cut out four rectangles of the fabric to match my torso measurements, and cut them to the necessary shape-- mostly a slope to fit my ribs and the arm/neck holes. I sewed the back together, then sewed the sides together. I left the front open and hemmed the edges.

MISTAKE #1: I should not have sewn the sides together. I should have sewn it at the shouldersinstead, which would have made tweaking the neck hole much easier. Instead, I did it this way, which caused me to make errors finishing the neck hole; the result was a deep slope in the neck line that I did not want.

Next I sewed together the leg flanges, done very similarly to the torso. Four pieces, two of each color; sewn together two at a time, one for the right, one for the left, and attached. Then I hemmed the inside and decided to cant the inside corner for extra stylez.

Next came the collar. As I said, I mucked up the neckline, so I had to design the collar to make the plunged neckline look like it belonged. My solution was just a tall and wide straight collar, made from the fabric doubled over, and sewn into the neckline. Like everything else, I chose alternating colors.

Then came the closures. I contemplated using frogs, but decided I didn't like the look. I wanted buckles, but a point was made in this thread that stuck with me: they can be a pain beneath armor. Instead, I chose decorative eyehook clasps.

MISTAKE #2: After affixing the eyehooks, I realized my measurements were off. The hooks were scooted back as far as I could have them and they did not close tightly enough; indeed they would slip open one by one with any movement on my part. In giving myself extra fabric for seam tolerance, I ended up adding a couple inches to the overall size of the gambeson itself.

This turned out to be a relatively happy mistake because it pointed me to my decided closures: buttons. I found some kickass buttons at Jo-Ann's and sewed them in, and the gambeson fits like a glove as a result.

And so the body of the gambeson was done. Then came the sleeves. I cut two rectangles of fabric, one of each color, and measured my bicep, elbow, forearm, and wrists, as well as the overall length from shoulder to hand. I folded the fabric and sewed the slope I'd marked, as well as curve for where the sleeve would affix to the shoulder. I hemmed the cuff, and then hemmed the shoulder part.

MISTAKE #3: I realized it was a good idea to double up the fabric for the agilet holes on the sleeve, but also realized that I had not done so on the body of the gambeson. At this point I felt it was too late. Another time when I have the energy I may handstitch another later beneath the gambeson's agilet holes and redo them, but for now, I'm stuck with one layer there.

Then I cut all the agilet holes. I decided to go with two: one on the top of the shoulder and one in front. I chose not to do one in back as well because it failed my fitting test. I put everything on and pinned the sleeves on, pulling my arms in over my chest; the pins in the back bent and came out. I was too afraid the tie or the fabric would rip in the back, and decided I didn't need the third hole anyway. The two holes per arm proved enough.

I made the agilet holes by cutting button-holes basically, using multiple lines of tight stitches in a rectangle around the hole, followed by wrapping a hand stitch into the hold to pull the fabric aside. Each time I inserted the handstitch I made sure to do so on the outside of the machine stitch make its hold stronger.

With the sleeves done, all that was needed was for it to be strung together. I'm still looking for a permenant tie-- some strong leather lace would do nicely-- but for now I'm using thick black ribbon.

As it was a colder day, I wore the gambeson to practice yesterday. It was extremely comfortable beneath my armor; it moved with me, it breathed, it stayed where it was supposed to. After most of the day I discarded my armor and took off the sleeves, fighitng in just the gambeson. No issues whatsoever. It's really not too hot and it's very comfortable.

And, if I may say so, it looks pretty spiffy (even in dramatic poses and with gym shoes).

Some notes:
I intentionally left the seams uncovered on the inside. I did this because I was concerned about the fabric tearing so I wanted to make sure it would be easy to snip the stitches to replace whatever needs it.

In the end I spent about thirty dollars to get everything I needed.
ImageImageImage
Korbin Arhantas Dunamai
Korbin the Mad
Monkey
Monkey

Spear
Archery

Re: Gambeson Project, Help Needed (Finished, Pic Heavy)

Postby Arrakis » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:19 pm

Looks snazzy!

It is going to be very hot and sweaty during the summer, but, so would an all-natural gamb, so, sounds like you made a good decision.
Arrakis

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:59 pm

Looks legit, good job.
Now, about your footwear...

Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Postby Tails » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:53 pm

Remy the Wroth wrote:Now, about your footwear...

Pff. Really?
"Favorite Fighting Styles: adsfdsfsdssdsdsd"
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 22 Aug 2007
Realm: Morva
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Working the Pole
Pronouns: Drip / Drop

Postby Caleidah » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:56 pm

Tails wrote:
Remy the Wroth wrote:Now, about your footwear...

Pff. Really?

Why not? He did an awesome gamb and his garb looks great, now it's time to complete the image with some turn shoes/boots/something.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Peanut of Loderia » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:51 pm

Or at least not velcro.
Peanut of Loderia
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Loderia
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby Tails » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:53 pm

Just seems like as long at the footwear are earthy tones, who cares, but that's me, the guy who doesn't care.
"Favorite Fighting Styles: adsfdsfsdssdsdsd"
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 22 Aug 2007
Realm: Morva
Favorite Fighting Styles: Working the Pole
Pronouns: Drip / Drop

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:00 pm

He looks straight legit, some black boots would really sell the deal.
I feel like the shoes are doing his sick-ass kit a disservice is all.
*shrugs*

Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Postby Korbin the Mad » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:00 am

I totally get the gripe withmy shoes, though minuscule it may be. I have a pair of black leather boots I wear for feast, but have not yet found anything more comfortable than the $8 Walmart shoes I've worn for years.

Thanks for all the positive comments on my garb though. Never posted pics before and it's encouraging.
ImageImageImage
Korbin Arhantas Dunamai
Korbin the Mad
Monkey
Monkey

Spear
Archery

Postby Mint » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:44 am

It also helps that you seem to have a good sense of photography as well. I've always thought garb pics taken in one's quaint little sitting room just looked silly.

The kit's awesome too. I like the buttons.
Jeckyllmint Q. Stoutbrew
Sand Plains Quartermaster & War Council Rep.
Initiate of the Sons of Sylas

Slagar wrote:MinTech: Feel the freshness, *.
Mint
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2010
Realm: Sand Plains
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: shame stick

Postby Korbin the Mad » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:21 am

Mint wrote:It also helps that you seem to have a good sense of photography as well. I've always thought garb pics taken in one's quaint little sitting room just looked silly.

The kit's awesome too. I like the buttons.

The buttons cost as much as the fabric. I had to splurge on them though, because they were so perfect. I loved the hammer-forged look.

Thanks, about the photography thing. I actually had another pic taken specifically to cut my feet from the pic:
I thought it looked really cool with the house in the background, but then I saw the AC unit... In terms of being photograph-offensive, velco shoes < air conditioner.

Although in that pic, you get to see my super-rad "iron-banded" club.

Here's a slightly more panoramic version of the same shot in the original post.
I thought being slightly off-center looked neat against the wall.
ImageImageImage
Korbin Arhantas Dunamai
Korbin the Mad
Monkey
Monkey

Spear
Archery

Postby Peanut of Loderia » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:53 pm

Really, I'm jsut giving you crap because I actually know you.
Peanut of Loderia
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Loderia
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby Korbin the Mad » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:05 pm

Peanut of Loderia wrote:Really, I'm jsut giving you crap because I actually know you.

Oh. Well in that case, shove it. Lol.

Good to hear from you. See you at Spring Wars, I hope. :P
ImageImageImage
Korbin Arhantas Dunamai
Korbin the Mad
Monkey
Monkey