Turnshoes

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Turnshoes

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:28 pm

I've been doing some reading on the subject and I'm getting the itch to move away from combat boots to a historical turnshoe.

Does anyone here have practical experience making them that can offer advice and tricks of the trade that you've learned through trial and error, or from others who have taught you?

Thanks much.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Re: Turnshoes

Postby konradr » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:33 pm

It's not your fault she wasn't wearing shoes Tiberius, and Toenails grow back. I'm not knocking period shoes, but from wearing the one's I had, they have no grip and you can loose your footing and slide on grass (less you have some roman hobnails) and they may or may not have good ankle support.

I do have an SCA link stashed somewhere on how to make your own Celtic Broghes(spelling?) That are basically a piece of leather with eyelets punched all around so that it can be threaded and pulled tight around your foot. I don't think they added a thicker leather 'sole' to the bottom with glue but I imagine it can be done.

Konradr of Barad'Dun
konradr
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 08 Apr 2009
Realm: Barad dun
Unit: Royal Army of Barad dun
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword, Flail & Axe

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:06 am

This actually started before I stepped on that girl's bare foot in my boots. I came across the Dag fighter Alric's kit and links when I was searching for Viking stuff (though he'll be the first to tell you he portrays a Saxon) and he's got the whole thing down to include a wooden pail for hauling water. Awesome stuff.

From what I've read, ankle support aside - and which can/will be negated by strengthening leg muscles - a 9-12 oz leather bottom is thick enough to keep your foot from getting cut up but is also thin enough if you keep it supple w/ oil that you can still feel the ground almost as well as if you're barefoot. Wet grass and hills can be an issue though. I believe hobnails fall under cleats in our game and are illegal.

You said you used to wear them - did you make them yourself? Did yours have a thicker sole?
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Postby Arrakis » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:22 pm

Alric or Stell or somebody has a tut up on the Dag boards. If you find a tutorial online and use it, port it to the BelWiki, if you please, for posterity.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:32 pm

I did see Alric's - it's the highlights of the steps he used based on a pattern, with some pics of failures along the way. When I do it I'll post the whole pattern in addition to pictures.

Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Postby konradr » Tue May 01, 2012 12:53 am

Mine are like moc's. I got them on ebay. They were too tight in the toes even after trying to stretch them out. I cut the top of the toes off and put a strip of suede across them to keep my toes from sliding out. Now they are like sandals. I use them for camp shoes. I fought with them sometimes. They are very light and don't tire my legs out or weigh them down like boots can. I slipped alot though which is why I relegated them to camp duty.

Konradr
konradr
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 08 Apr 2009
Realm: Barad dun
Unit: Royal Army of Barad dun
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword, Flail & Axe

Postby DragoonAntoinette » Fri May 04, 2012 7:45 pm

I own 4 pairs of moccasins, 2 which I made and 2 which I bought. While I may not fight i have determined that they are really bad event shoes since they are just leather on the bottom. While dabbling in the SCA, I found this site: http://www.bootsbybohemond.net/index.ph ... &Itemid=54

This SCA Cobbler makes period footwear, most of with are offered with lugged, anti slip, or crepe soles. They are, as footwear goes when you are getting into "period" footwear fairly decently prices and compared to others I've seen fairly inexpensive.

There is this one, its called the Medieval High Shoe
It is completely period, not offered with the lugged, anti slip, or crepe soles, and done totally by hand.

There is also one called the Medieval Boot, Image
It is a period boot, that comes with either the non-slip or crepe soles (you pick) and comes in black or brown leather.

These are just a couple ideas, and a place to start if you are looking to buy shoes, or even just to get ideas about what you want yours to look like. I know we are not the SCA, but they have an abundance of resources that you can easily tap into to find what you need.
Dragoon Antoinette Finnrsdottir, the Moosewitch
Master Seneschal
Thunder Guard War Council Rep
Armageddon XXI Event Coordinator
"Spontaneous combustion is a myth. If you burst into flame, someone wanted you to." ~Chandra Nalaar
DragoonAntoinette
Moosewitch

Started Fighting: 29 Sep 2008
Realm: Roaming Canada
Unit: Elite Bloodfalcons
Favorite Fighting Styles: Non-Com and Needle and Thread
Pronouns: She / Her

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Fri May 04, 2012 9:26 pm

Thank you much for the info and the links

So 2 folks say they slip and aren't good for fighting.

History buffs, what did period warriors do? go barefoot? rough up their soles? Is this actually not an issue?

Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Postby konradr » Sun May 06, 2012 7:49 pm

I like that 'medieval boot'.

Konradr of Barad'Dun