My Kilt Conundrum

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

My Kilt Conundrum

Postby Kael McBrian » Tue May 01, 2012 11:43 pm

In case you couldn't tell from my name, I plan on taking up a Scottish Highland persona, as opposed to my previous "bare minimum" persona. I've fought for three years now, but never consistently... and I'm off-topic. Sorry about that.

Anyway, I want to make myself a kilt for Bel. It shouldn't be too hard to make, just a rectangle with some belt loops (if you want to get fancy) and pleats (if you want to get really fancy).

I went to the local Joann, and realized that my plan had a problem: the material! I wanted to make a light kilt (perhaps cotton?) so I don't get too hot, but the only plaid I could find was in flannel!

I think I've found some appropriate fabric online, but since I know next-to-nothing about this kind of thing, I'd be a lot more comfortable if I could touch the cloth before I buy it.

So... my questions (sorry for my rambling!):
1. Does anyone know where I could find some really light, plaid fabric near Numenor?

2. If not, would fighting in a flannel skirt kilt be just too * hot, or is it worth trying out?

3. If those both come out unfavorably, can someone give me some links to some cheap, appropriate material in plaid which I could order?

Thanks for your help, and sorry my post is so * long!
Kael McBrian
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2009
Realm: Numenor

Re: My Kilt Conundrum

Postby NessiePop » Wed May 02, 2012 2:54 pm

First things first. If you're gonna call it a kilt, you need pleats. Otherwise, it's just a plaid skirt. But, to your questions.
1. No clue, don't live near there.
2. I'm from Southern Al. I wear my kilt on days when it's too hot for pants, and it's a cheap, acrylic monstrosity. Kilts are almost never too hot.
3. Nope. But I can link you to wear i bought my kilt. http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/kilts/acrylikilts/
War Chief of Clan McClung
NessiePop
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 18 Jul 2010
Realm: Crimson Fields
Favorite Fighting Styles: Blatant Lies

Postby Ferrin » Wed May 02, 2012 7:35 pm

ok bud your only options for fabric around numenor is joanns, hancocks http://www.hancockfabrics.com or you can check out walmart as they have reopened their fabric section, as for a kilt being too hot cause of the fabric... well thats just ridiculous lol, id be more worried about the fabric itching than anything else(depending on what you get) specially if you wear it like fergus ( which is usually bare * :cry: ) also come to practice or ill find you :devil:
Ferrin
Recruit
Recruit

Unit: Dark Guard

Postby Duke » Thu May 03, 2012 7:37 am

I recently tried my hand at making a kilt. I wanted a light weight one as well. I picked up a plaid linen like this.

http://www.fabricmartfabrics.com/xcart/BUA959-Linen-Plaid-Black-Gray-White-56-Wide.html

Note that with the lighter weight fabric, you will want some decently deep pleats to add some weight and keep it down in a stiff breeze. I went with 2" deep pleats and am somewhat dissatisfied with it. Also a sporran (belt pouch over the groin) is good to keep the front in check and can dampen blows to the jewels.

I used this online Instructable to help me with making it.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-Cargo-Kilt/

With the linen I used , the pleats didn't hold well, and even when I sewed the pleats in, the kilt looks more like an accordian in the back.

Good luck with your garb.
Duke
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 07 Oct 2009

Postby Arrakis » Thu May 03, 2012 8:28 am

Hey! Welcome to the boards.

First up: Scottish Highlander the way you're almost certainly thinking about it doesn't really fit the idea of the Belegarth Medieval Combat Society, emphasis on Medieval. You're almost certainly talking about doing 1700-1800s Scottish Highlander. In the 1800s, we had trains and revolvers and stuff. Medieval/Medieval Fantasy that ain't.

Instead, consider doing an earlier Scottish impression: http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/ar ... 00-ce.html Lots of good information on 1500s and earlier Scottish traditional garb at that link. That way, you can keep to your Scottish persona without wearing clothing that is too modern and looks out of place.

Second up: The flannel you're referring to is likely cotton flannel, which wasn't really a thing historically and doesn't really fall right for most garb. You'd want either a lightweight or tropical wool for any kind of summer kilt and fulled melton wool or coating wool for a winter cloak or winter kilt.

Good luck!
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Kael McBrian » Thu May 03, 2012 10:48 pm

Right you are, Arrakis. I was going to try to go for more of a great kilt style. Different things I've read on the internet have those dated as far back as the 1200s. I don't think those are right, but the article you posted says the 1500s, so that's not too bad either. Besides which, I'm pretty sure orcs and goblins didn't run around in the middle ages, so if nothing I can be from an imaginary place that bears some resemblance to the silly American paradigm of what midieval Scotland was like, thanks to Braveheart. :D

Given such a train of thought, I may or may not stick with the great kilt format and I may or may not keep it pleated. Sorry, Lachlan, but my goal is more to not wear pants than it is to be accurate. So thanks for the input all, my overall response is as follows:

I shall take all of your inputs into consideration, but ultimately my plan is to try stuff out, see what works best for me and go with that.

(and Ferrin, my plan is to attend practice again once I get this stuff made. It's been a LONG time since I came last, and I really am just not happy with my old garb. Expect me after finals week is over!)
Kael McBrian
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2009

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb