Typical Belegarth'er

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Typical Belegarth'er

Postby Jcollins » Fri May 25, 2012 11:58 pm

I wasnt sure this would fit in the "general" forum since I'd like have it focus more on the crafting side.

What would you all consider to be "a normal belegarth player" for garb. I mean list the garb and items and such they might have. then what would a "veteran/experienced belegarth player" have for garb and items.

if I'm being a little vague or not clear...when you look at pictures of foam fighting and you see some one you can distinctively point to that person and be like "that guy/girl definitely plays Bel" aside from obvious things like unit marking and such.

So, that said I'll start

Tabards that have the underside done in yellow so they can Herald. - I'd say this should be for a normal bel player in the hopes everyone would be able to hop in and herald but I know that most folks who do this tend to be more experienced or veteran players.
Squire Thorpe Nemoralis
Jcollins
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 15 Apr 1993
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Sol Invictus
Favorite Fighting Styles: 28" shield and Short Sword

Re: Typical Belegarth'er

Postby Dangus » Sat May 26, 2012 6:41 pm

Jcollins wrote:I wasnt sure this would fit in the "general" forum since I'd like have it focus more on the crafting side.

What would you all consider to be "a normal belegarth player" for garb. I mean list the garb and items and such they might have. then what would a "veteran/experienced belegarth player" have for garb and items.

if I'm being a little vague or not clear...when you look at pictures of foam fighting and you see some one you can distinctively point to that person and be like "that guy/girl definitely plays Bel" aside from obvious things like unit marking and such.

So, that said I'll start

Tabards that have the underside done in yellow so they can Herald. - I'd say this should be for a normal bel player in the hopes everyone would be able to hop in and herald but I know that most folks who do this tend to be more experienced or veteran players.

I would contest that garb styles are more defined by region then by organization. Amtgard garb in the West seems to be about the same as Bel, stylistically, even if it is decidedly lacking at times (jammy pants are not garb, even if you're a knight). My experience out East seems to show a similar correlation, though I know amtgard has a tendency to over do the applique to the point of insanity.

(edit: wording)
Dangus
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 09 Sep 2001
Realm: Tir na nOg
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Set trippin', Rippin', Dippin'.

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Sun May 27, 2012 1:55 pm

Applique in Amtgard actually makes garb look worse, in my experience.
Just cuz you appliqued "Stick-Jock" or "Don't be a Douche" on the back of your piece of **** tunic doesn't mean you look a) remotely medieval with your sweet cleats/camo pants/ball-cap/sunglasses/bandanna/catcher's armor/MS paint logo and b) look like anything but an upjumped nerd with a beer belly and a chip on his shoulder who complains about his weapon weighing more than 4oz and flicks it like a * conductor's baton and expects respect as a warrior from anyone and everyone without earning a single ounce of it.
In my experience average garb in Belegarth is 150% better than in other sports besides SCA/EMP.
But it mos def has regional differences.
Like, a lot of my friends out here in Babylon look like terrorists for example. Terrorist-shique, if you will.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Forkbeard » Tue May 29, 2012 8:12 am

I feel everyone should be working towards a great kit that would look natural in a medieval fantasty film. If not, you suck and are lacking. People in a tabbard and pants and that is are jerks who need to try harder.
You can tell the typical Bel fighter becasue they look half assed.
Maybe 40% or the poputaion looks OK. About 10% looks awesome. THe rest look like scrubs from some LARP.
This is a great inprovement over the past. Garb has increasing imporved every season for the past 4. It is great and things are looking up. It used to be only about 10% ok, 1% looked great and the rest looked aweful.
No one, I feel, should ever strive to be typical. Strive to excell.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Caleidah » Tue May 29, 2012 5:30 pm

Forkbeard wrote:No one, I feel, should ever strive to be typical. Strive to excell.
FB

This exact reason is why I add at least one major piece of garb to my collection every year, and why I refuse to let my friends go for more than a few months in basic garb.

If you have good garb, it is your responsibility to motivate the people around you to step yours up. That motivation can be as simple as looking so good that they can't help but be jealous.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Tue May 29, 2012 10:48 pm

I have a hard problem with getting over-excited about a new garb idea, then another, then another... Continuously convincing my poor wife to sew me new garb, try this thing out, try that thing out! I've decided that I have enough garb to last me a week of fighting, and instead of making more thread-bare garb we are going to modify and add more and more details/accessories/embroidery/pizzazz to all our garb (which to be honest, was pretty much a ****). It really is all about the accessories.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb