Belegarth Blog

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Belegarth Blog

Postby DragoonAntoinette » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:27 pm

Ok so Corliss and I started a blog where we are going to talk about medieval crafts, garb making, campfire cooking, lore, and belegarth in general among other things. The blog can be found here: http://belegrimblog.livejournal.com/

We would like to see if anyone else would like to join us, as either a special guest for a post or as a member of the blog team. The idea is really simple, you just talk about the project you are working on, or ideas you have to help decrease suck and up the awesome within the belegarth community. We would love to have a fighter or two join us since we are both basically non-coms and a monster or two to bring in that aspect of the game as well. Anyone who is interested in helping out please talk to me.
Dragoon Antoinette Finnrsdottir, the Moosewitch
Master Seneschal
Thunder Guard War Council Rep
Armageddon XXI Event Coordinator
"Spontaneous combustion is a myth. If you burst into flame, someone wanted you to." ~Chandra Nalaar
DragoonAntoinette
Moosewitch

Started Fighting: 29 Sep 2008
Realm: Roaming Canada
Unit: Elite Bloodfalcons
Favorite Fighting Styles: Non-Com and Needle and Thread
Pronouns: She / Her

Re: Belegarth Blog

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:36 pm

Just so you know, the tri-triangle of Odin you have as your profile image is big Arayan Nation, White Supremecist symbol.
Just a heads up.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Sorcia » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:53 pm

All I found was that the symbol is a viking thing not a white supremacist symbol. I could be wrong.
Sir Sorcia the Matriarch
Knight of Rhun
Clan of the Hydra
Green Lantern
Banner by: Erzebet
Sorcia
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 04 Jan 1992
Realm: No Current Realm
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Wine and wit.

Postby Arrakis » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:28 pm

Germans, a while back, had a big national Thing about being descended from vikings or whatever somehow. It made it into their national pride junk before WWII, got all co-opted like certain other symbols I could name. Neo-Nazis and their ilk have grabbed onto it, like that one kid peeing in the pool ruining the water for everyone.

I'd be happy to contribute things on occasion. Holla when y'all need a guest post about whatever.
Last edited by Arrakis on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Celtic Christ » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:26 pm

At it's most basic it's a symbol for Odin and a pledge to die in battle. I sport one on my right forearm and have gotten a really good response from it. It does carry a racist/supremecist side thanks to the little neonazi punks but I've yet to run into any problems with mine.
I'm not sure just how much help I'd be with the blog but I'm game to give a hand with anything that furthers our community.
Celtic Christ
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2007
Realm: Shannara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Caleidah » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:18 pm

I'll be doing some writing for this, as will Phippa (Nan Belegorn) and Mint (Sand Plains). Expect articles to be full of rambling and self-argumentative posting.

Should be fun!
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Solusar » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:00 pm

lol E-Sam....

I'll contribute sometimes. I have ideas for pieces I wanted to write for my own blog anyway.

But does it have to be on LiveJournal?
Squire Solusar Oma'Ragh McFeelgood, the Usurper
Squire to Sir Rune of Mittlemarch
I fight Dagorhir, but I'm still cool somehow.
Solusar
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2001
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, Red, Red +back shield,

Postby Caleidah » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:06 pm

Solusar wrote:lol E-Sam....

I'll contribute sometimes. I have ideas for pieces I wanted to write for my own blog anyway.

But does it have to be on LiveJournal?

Corliss would be the one to take that up with.
Knight of Grond
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Postby DragoonAntoinette » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:06 pm

Remy the Wroth wrote:Just so you know, the tri-triangle of Odin you have as your profile image is big Arayan Nation, White Supremecist symbol.
Just a heads up.

Remy, we are aware, but its is more commonly known as a Odin's valknut which means, when you take the roots of of the word valr and knut, "slain warriors knot" when you take that meaning into consideration and then the group its represent which is the Northern Alliance...anyone will tell you that it fits us really well. You will also notice that it has a giant freaking rack of antlers on top of it. Last I checked, and yes i did check, a valknut with giant moose antlers on it didn't represent an arayan nation, white supremacist anything...it was just a bunch of triangles with antlers on it. As a side note, the eagle was uses extensively as a symbol of white supremacy yet its still the national bird of the USA. Anything can be taken and twisted, but at its roots its still what it started out as and the valknut was a symbol of Odin and a symbol of Odin's slain warriors. the Northern Alliance had a talk on the whole "Arayan Nation, White Supremacist" thing and we concluded that so long as we dont act like "Arayan Nation, White Supremacists" but like the slightly crazy half Canadian half American random silly army we are the valknut wont carry any "Arayan Nation, White Supremacists" connotations within the game.

Anyone one who wants to join us, please pm me!
Master Seneschal
"Spontaneous combustion is a myth. If you burst into flame, someone wanted you to." ~Chandra Nalaar
DragoonAntoinette
Moosewitch

Postby Arrakis » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:55 pm

Take heed!: Checkest thine privilege, o ye of pale skin!

Pray consider how this choice of symbol may affect how thou'rt viewed by, and the recruitment of, local persons of color to thine group; especially if, as is usually the case, thou hast not any persons of color already within thine ranks!

Or not, as thou wilt; 'tis a free countr(y/ies).

/olde english privilege police.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:22 pm

I know what the valknut is, appreciate your wanting and feeling like taking it back from the connotation it's most associated with is a brilliant plan and deserves much praise. Something like that needs to be taken back and brought to it's original roots. Love the blog idea btw.
On a side note, the valknut is still not something you should take lightly, at all. It is a serious rune; one could say the most serious. When you say it means "Odin's Slain" what it really means is "Those Devoted to Dying for Odin." This is some serious mojo and I suggest seriously rethinking; but that's just the suggestion from a paranoid old * who having grown up around Scandanavian culture and seriously believes the old gods once and still exist thinks you would be better served utilizing a rune that wasn't so grim and obsessed with death.
/.02
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Postby DragoonAntoinette » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:44 pm

The members of the Northern Alliance have spent the last 6 years researching, debating and discussing the use of the valknut as our symbol. We are comprised of many people with Norse personas not only in Belegarth, but in Dag and in the SCA. Extensive research, debate and discussion went into using it along with the moose antlers for the symbol of our army. Not once, until yesterday, did the fact that the valknut was at one point in time used as a "hate symbol" ever come up. Its 3 triangles that are interlocked, its used as a symbol for a large International paper products company (SCA) and a soccer team somewhere I cant really remember right now. We are not trying to * people off, if you knew us you know that we are the least hateful people out there. Everyone is welcome to come hang out with us at out camp, we spend a lot of time at events helping out with whatever needs doing. We care about each other, the development of the game and having a good time.

One of our founding members has this to say about the issue:

"There ARE symbols that have been appropriated to the point that they really do carry a racist meaning along with their older tradition -- examples include the Confederate Flag, the Swastika, and to some extent Eagles and Templar crosses.

The Valknot, however, should not be counted among these, as its use by extremist groups has been minor and ill-informed, and its popular use remains as a symbol of Norse heritage. Remember that the primary message of the Valknot is one of inclusion. The symbol is a Knot of Peoples, joining all tribes together as one family, and stands for peace and kinship among many peoples. Exactly the opposite of racial purity."

It is true that there are white supremists who do sometimes use the valknot. There are also a lot of other historic symbols that have been used to other ends and twisted to mean things the didn't mean in the first place. The Northern Alliance decided among its somewhere around 90 members, with only 2 nays, that we are not going to change what we have worked so hard to come together on. If it * you off we are sorry, but we DID NOT pick it to * people off, it was chosen because:" One of the primary messages of the Valknot is one of inclusion. The symbol is a Knot of Peoples, joining all tribes together as one family, and stands for peace and kinship among many peoples. Exactly the opposite of racial purity."
Master Seneschal
DragoonAntoinette
Moosewitch

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:09 pm

That's cool, like I said, I feel that your wanting to take a symbol that had been appropriated by hate groups is great and my second post is less about that and more about my being a paranoid old nerd who believes in the power of runes and feels that your using the All Father's rune may or may not draw undue bad luck. lol Just ignore me, I'm an elitist on the internet, I'm about as useful as Black Cat on the field.
BAM.

Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Postby Caleidah » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:59 pm

Remy the Wroth wrote:That's cool, like I said, I feel that your wanting to take a symbol that had been appropriated by hate groups is great and my second post is less about that and more about my being a paranoid old nerd who believes in the power of runes and feels that your using the All Father's rune may or may not draw undue bad luck. lol Just ignore me, I'm an elitist on the internet, I'm about as useful as Black Cat on the field.
BAM.

But how can I spiderman things in person?
Knight of Grond
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Postby Aimish » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:02 pm

Caleidah wrote:But how can I spiderman things in person?

Print the pictures out.
Tape the picture to your hammer.
Hit the person you want to spiderman.
???
Spiderman'd!
Aimish
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 07 Mar 2010
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Sample Platter
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Shield

Postby Cu_ » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:10 pm

The use of the valknut is sticky. To be honest, it's not a symbol that has been appropriated by awful people to the point that their use has seeped into greater social consciousness. In other words, it's not a broken cross. I really do think that it's not too far spoiled to be brought back.

However, Arrakis nailed it in that it's ultimately up to disadvantaged groups (in this case, people of color) to decide what is and is not acceptable. And, as Remy pointed out, it's also a symbol that has just as powerful a meaning to other (more savory) groups-- something that should also be taken into account. To further this point, intent is not magical, and if a symbol is truly offensive to disadvantaged groups, it doesn't really matter if the offending party "didn't intend for it to be offensive;" it just has to go.

As a person involved in the Northern Alliance, I've recommended a wait-and-see approach, mainly because I can see this being either not a big deal at all (as demonstrated by my first point), or a potential issue (my second).

Of course, if we would have gone with my idea of the rampant moose, we wouldn't be having this discussion :P
Cu_
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 15 Jul 2008
Realm: Niflheim
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Punch and Pie

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:42 pm

I like the Rampant Moose. Very nice.
On a side note, I grew up in ND, spent a lot of summers in Winnipeg and exploring Manitoba.

Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Postby Caleidah » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:21 pm

Rampant moose holding a bottle of Canadian Club?
Knight of Grond
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Postby DragoonAntoinette » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:44 pm

Caleidah wrote:Rampant moose holding a bottle of Canadian Club?

NO
Master Seneschal
DragoonAntoinette
Moosewitch

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb