Garb question?

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Garb question?

Postby Elle_Mcphearson » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:26 pm

JRR Tolkien's novels The Lord of the Rings inspired a new-found interest in fantasy with the love of the outdoors, improvisational acting, and high energy events. A group called Dagorhir was formed in 1977 with these very ideals in mind. The theme was to catapult people from the 20th century into the midst of an intense battle during the Dark Ages; a time when the values and problems of the modern world did not exist. Dagorhir grew rapidly over the years into a nationwide organization. In 2001, in efforts to protect their intellectual property, such as the original Dagorhir Handbook, the Dagorhir Board of Directors requested that any group wishing to continue to use the Dagorhir brand name sign a legally binding contract regarding their use. Those that did not agree with this form of governance broke off from Dagorhir in order to form Belegarth.

Okay if this is so and all of this is based off The Lord of the Rings than why do I keep hearing that we can't use buttons? I've watched lord of the rings plenty of times to know that their wardrobe particularly Frodo's has buttons.
I've read the garb part of the Book of War 3 times over and it doesn't say anything about buttons not being allowed. So what gives? Are buttons okay or not?
Elle Mcphearson Wife of Captain Ken Mcphearson Onnata
Elle_Mcphearson
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 16 Mar 2012
Realm: Dragon Clan
Favorite Fighting Styles: Double-ended staff

Re: Garb question?

Postby Ignatius » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:11 am

Who says you can't use buttons?! I don't think there's anybody I've met in Belegarth that garb anal.

http://h2g2.com/approved_entry/A23623616

From a quick google search I'd say tell whoever says you can't use buttons to **** off. They've been around as far back as the bronze age in some form and have been in use on garments back to the 1300's. More than old enough for Belegarth.
Ignatius
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 25 Feb 2008

Postby Sir Anastasia » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:59 pm

There are a lot of trolls on the internet. There will always be controversy over nothing in forums and on Facebook. I think that most people who host events or control practices will use the BOW and not make additional rules, but they also have the right to make their own rules via the Belegarth By-laws. Keep in mind, if you see something on the internet...it may have no relevance in reality. So, how can you tell if you need to be mindful of an "additional" house rule?

1) Contact: 1) the realm leader of a practice 2) the event coordinator of an event you are attending. Asking some general forum or group can also be asking for trouble, even though it should not be.

2) If someone is in leadership, I hope they have the good sense to educate or make exemptions for new-comers if they have additional rules not listed in the BOW. Anything less than that is asinine.

3) But no one should have rules on buttons...and if you were wondering, Battle for the Ring has no rules for buttons either. Thanks for the button link above. 5000 years of buttons and counting.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:36 am

Favorite style is double-ended staff? must... not... troll...
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Sir Anastasia » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:33 pm

Good job Remy...we are rooting for you. Also, she and her realm are pretty new at this...I think, and will be attending their first event at Battle for the Ring. We'll be sure to show them the ropes with hospitality.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Ignatius » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:50 pm

Anastasia of Chamonix wrote:Good job Remy...we are rooting for you. Also, she and her realm are pretty new at this...I think, and will be attending their first event at Battle for the Ring. We'll be sure to show them the ropes with hospitality.

Don't you worry Remy, I'll be there too. We'll get em learned. And drunk. Which is the same thing in my book.
Ignatius
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 25 Feb 2008

Postby Arrakis » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:31 am

Elle_Mcphearson wrote:I've watched lord of the rings plenty of times to know that their wardrobe particularly Frodo's has buttons.

The Lord of the Rings was a novel when Dagorhir was formed, and was still a novel when Belegarth split off from Dagorhir. It has only since become a motion picture, as well. The clothing worn in the movies has little basis in Tolkien's novel; it is mostly the invention of Peter Jackson's staff/crew and WETA.

That said, Hobbit garb in LotR (novel) was very very late period indeed; Tolkien, desiring as he put it to write an essentially English myth, put his short protagonists in 18th C. English peasant clothing, in order to make it seem "old" and "past" but still relevant to the audience he intended. By long tradition, though, fantastical later-than-period clothing such as that worn by the Hobbits in the movies (which is a pretty reasonable, I think, construction of the descriptions from the novel) is accepted by most, if not all, fantasy LARPs and fantastical combat groups.

Also, buttons were in common use from the 13th C. on; it is generally accepted that the historical period acceptable for the "Medieval" indication in our name (Belegarth Medieval Combat Society) extends all the way up to 1600.

So, pieces like those shown in this monument of Elisabeth and Ulrich von Erbach, from the 14th C.:

Are totally legit.

Good luck!

PS: effigiesandbrasses.com is an amazing resource for seeing what medieval clothing actually looked like.

Buttons especially became highly fashionable for the closure of tight sleeves in the later portion of the 14th C and on into the 15th C, as you can see here:

Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Caleidah » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:47 pm

I love you sometimes, Arrakis.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Mefit the Merciless » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:17 am

Arrakis wrote:
Buttons especially became highly fashionable for the closure of tight sleeves in the later portion of the 14th C and on into the 15th C, as you can see here:

As did standing on family pets as seen above....
Squire to Sir Chance the Tall
Secretary of Dur Demarion
"Hey! You're talking to my guy all wrong. It's the wrong tone. Do it again, I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron"
Viking Bastards: Combating Turdary since the 9th century
Mefit the Merciless
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 30 Mar 2002
Realm: Dur-De South
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever works

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb