Period Tent Questions

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Period Tent Questions

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:22 am

I've got it in my mind full of grandiose plans for the future to make a Norse A-frame tent and I have some questions for folks who've made period tents before.

I checked out some fabric at Jo Ann's because I received some kick * coupons in the mail for black friday, but I was confused as to what cloth I should be buying and what price I should be paying for it.

I do realize up front that I'll be paying more in a brick-and-mortar than online, but I wanted to check the material out in person and I'm open to getting it from any source that's affordable (painter drop cloths?). Looking at the fabric, I'm not sure if there's any important difference between "outdoor" canvas (like Sunbrella brand which is pre-waterproofed and UV proofed) versus something sturdy like "utility canvas" or "duck canvas". I figure I could get the cheaper stuff and waterproof it myself, but is the UV treatment really that necessary? I'd hate for this thing to fall apart after a year of events because it sat in the sun.

The "sunbrella" brand was $21.95/yd base price, while the "duck" canvas was $10.49/yd base price, and the "utility" canvas was $5.49/yd. With my 60% off coupon I could order a single massive sheet of the utility and cut it myself to size for nigh on $3.29/yd! But will it hold up? It seemed sturdy enough.

Doing more research, I came across a product called ray and rain which lets you water proof and UV proof in one go, but again, is it really necessary? Many of the SCA sites I've scoured mention the importance of water proofing, especially if you don't use wool or after you scrub/clean/bleach your tent because it got mildewy as those actions/chemicals break down previously-applied water proofing. Other sites say that water proofing isn't necessary at all regardless of the material. Not one of them mentions UV protection for the fabric.

Lastly, I'd like to ask about coloring the fabric. It would seem easiest to simply buy the canvas/wool/linen pre-dyed and I'd love to do that, but if it is incredibly cheaper to buy it all in a natural shade and color it myself, then I'd do that in a heartbeat. Some of the websites mention dyeing, though I've had horrible luck attempting to dye things with "Rit" brand; are there other, better choices? Other sites mention painting the fabric, though some mention problems with cracking, flaking, over-insulating, lessening the water proofing ability of the fabric, and other aesthetic problems. What methods have you used?

Thanks in advance for your info!
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Re: Period Tent Questions

Postby Celtic Christ » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:50 am

I'm not too much help overall, but the acrylic paints tend to hold up really well on shields so I would think that the same holds true for a tent. When you say Norse tent the first person to come to mind was Hammaren, you might try dropping him a line and seeing if he has any input. http://board.belegarth.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13245
Celtic Christ
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2007
Realm: Shannara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Static » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:11 am

Acrylics will crack if the fabric folds or moves at all... Shields are okay because the fabric stays fairly stationary, but I'm assuming the tent will need to be folded in some way.
As for proofing, I don't know. Sorry!
Barreler in House Hellhammer
President, Web Weaver, WC Rep for Sand Plains
Ironguard in the Forgechurch
Squire to Sir Dameon Orcenfol
Static
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 26 Feb 2012
Realm: Sand Plains
Unit: House Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Red

Postby Wilhelm008 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:05 pm

I have made a Norse tent or a Viking Tent, the fabric that you should look for is called sun forge canvas, 10.58 oz canvas. Works the best. One thing to note is there is lot of wood working involved. Also the wood I used is not too cheap. in all I spent about 500 dollars. Also on a side note make sure you seam seal the seams. If you have any question I would be happy to answer them.
Wilhelm008
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 12 Apr 2007

Postby Thorne the mercenary » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:18 am

You can get a large canvas tarp from Tractor Supply for a fair price. I thought of doing this myself for the out side of a viking A frame. Then using a synthetic tarp for the floor.
Where ever coins jingle or plunder is promised you'll find a mercenary.
Thorne sword for hire
http://daguardian.blogspot.com
Thorne the mercenary
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2011
Realm: Dun Abhon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine, sword and board, archery

Postby Caleidah » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:42 am

Double check post dates before you respond, unless you have ground breaking info. This thread had been dead for two years.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb