Ming dynasty?

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Ming dynasty?

Postby Phishstrangler75 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:27 pm

It seems to me that the garb of Belegarth is intended to be from Western European traditions(Yes I know, LOTR). However, I saw in a previous thread that Native American garb was perfectly acceptable.

So my question was: Would it be good taste to use Ming dynasty garb?

I know that at that time, China had quite a bit of trading contact with Europe, so the idea of a Chinese soldier on the battlefields of Western Europe is not outside the realm of possibility.

However, if you guys wouldn't want to see me in Ming dynasty getup in your pictures at interrealm events I could be something else.

And I mean you, Forkbeard. ;)
I am the realm leader for Wrythyk in La Grande and I want to do things right, so please pm me some tips, cautions, insults, or critiques. Thank you.

Brutus wrote: This ruleset wasn't developed in a day. It has been debated and modified ceaselessly for the past 30+ years. Often the reasons behind certain rules do not become obvious until you try to fight without them.
Phishstrangler75
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2007
Realm: Wrythyk
Favorite Fighting Styles: Quarterstaff, florentine, speedbat

Re: Ming dynasty?

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:47 pm

First off, I want to welcome you to the world of Belegarth. I suggest you peruse the boards, utilizing the search function to search for answers.
As the realm leader for the Portland, OR realm I would like to personally extend a helping hand to you and if you have any questions please feel free to PM me or hit me up on Facebook.
As for you query you can do as such. There is no ban on cultural variety; I would take care if you were to decide you wanted to dress up like certain ethnic groups, personally getting permission for a group of such would be preferred before you decide you're going to rock like say, a full Sikh getup.
Use common sense, use period materials and keep it pre-gunpowder era Europe and you should be fine.
Also come to Portland sometime to participate with the large pool of 10+ year vets to get you some learning in person, the boards will only take you so far.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Phishstrangler75 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:54 pm

Thanks for the welcome Remy. Hopefully I'll get over to Pike some time soon. I'm probably going to get to Rathi first just because it is closer and there is less mountain crossing to get there.
I am the realm leader for Wrythyk in La Grande and I want to do things right, so please pm me some tips, cautions, insults, or critiques. Thank you.

Brutus wrote: This ruleset wasn't developed in a day. It has been debated and modified ceaselessly for the past 30+ years. Often the reasons behind certain rules do not become obvious until you try to fight without them.
Phishstrangler75
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:06 pm

pyke
and rathi is good people
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Acorn » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:57 am

sick. have fun fighting in rath.

there are some babylon (oregon) fighters out there now too. you should say hi.
Da'Nut,Catalyst: Tail of the Cataclusmos, Valkyries, Sus at BEST

Sare wrote:Acorn is the very template of awesome.
Acorn
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2002
Realm: Babylon Empire
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, Spear Frenzy

Postby Phishstrangler75 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:43 pm

I will be in Boise all day tomorrow. Too bad your practices are Wednesdays.

Phishstrangler75
Recruit
Recruit

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb