Armor Ergonomic development

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Armor Ergonomic development

Postby Tordek » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:31 am

Hello fellow Belegrim! I am Tordek of Moria, and I come seeking information about armor ergonomics. This is not strictly for the sport, but rather a research paper I am doing for an ergonomics class. I am looking for quantifiable data on the ergonomics of armors from various cultures and time periods pertaining to the its protective nature versus the physical exertion/and or its movement restricting capabilities. If you know of any sites, studies, texts, or even experts on the subject please let me know about/of it/them.

I am aware of the fairly recent putting guys in medieval suits and running them on a treadmill study, however I also wanted to include Asian armor designs as well.

Another useful specific im looking for would be weight distribution over body studies and their affects on endurance (100lbs centralized at torso or spread out over arms/legs) although I suspect this last part is easier to find data on.
Battering Ram of Chaos Wars 13, Subaltern and Siege Master of Clan of the Hydra, King of Khazad Dum, Dwarven Lord of the Salt Mines, Order of the Soup Can, Potion Master of the Mountain.

Bouncing ball of bearded bedlam.
Tordek
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 10 Dec 2008
Realm: Khazad Dum
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Glaive, Ball and Board, Archery.

Re: Armor Ergonomic development

Postby Tordek » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:33 am

Any potential armor from before the dark ages is also extremely helpful as much of basically all technologies took a hit during this time period. I would like to also include Items from the Greeks, the Romans (treasure trove of knowledge here) vikings, etc. Any warring culture that made some sort of armor is useful to this study.
Battering Ram of Chaos Wars 13, Subaltern and Siege Master of Clan of the Hydra, King of Khazad Dum, Dwarven Lord of the Salt Mines, Order of the Soup Can, Potion Master of the Mountain.

Bouncing ball of bearded bedlam.
Tordek
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 10 Dec 2008
Realm: Khazad Dum
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Glaive, Ball and Board, Archery.

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb