The Code and Bushido

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

The Code and Bushido

Postby Mori » Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:00 pm

These are the two main "laws" I guess you could say of the Shogunate. The Code is specifics about what a samurai, or any other member, can or cannot, and/or should or should not do. Bushido is a set of strictures that lays out general patterns of behavior. I'm working on the Code right now, but I've got a revised Bushido for everyone to look at. Basically, it's the same as the old Bushido, but without specific actions required or prohibited.

It's as follows:

--------------------------

Rei - Polite Courtesy:

This means to treat everyone and everything with the respect they deserve. It means to honor your sensei, your daimyo, the Shogunate, the Code, Bushido, and anyone and anything you interact with. It involves being polite, respectful, and courteous.

Yuu - Valorous Courage:

This means to engage in all of your activities with courage and determination. There is no running away, there is no shirking of responsibility, there is only determinedly and courageously going about your duty. It involves courage, valor, determination, and bravery.

Gi - Righteous Purity:

This means to live up to your ideals and standards without compromising or cheapening them. It means that you follow Bushido and the Code, your own conscience, and any and all other strictures, rules, or laws which your are obligated to obey. It involves righteousness, justice, and obedience.

Makoto - Honest Sincerity:

This means that your words and your deeds are the same thing. When a samurai speaks and says a feat will be accomplished, it is as good as done. A samurai's word is his/her bond, and the truth of a samurai is fact. It involves honesty, sincerity, and integrity.

Jin - Humane Compassion:

This means that you have compassion on others and consider their welfare. A samurai is not a cruelly malicious killing machine, but a warrior of virtue. When a worthy foe requires your aid, you give it. When a weakened man asks for help, you proffer it. There is no virtue in curelty. It involves compassion, consideration, mercy, and humaneness.

Chuugi - Dutiful Loyalty:

This is what it means to be a samurai. The word, samurai, means "servant" or "retainer." A samurai who is not loyal to his/her code and lord is no samurai. A samurai is loyal in all things, even at the cost of his/her own life; and dutifully fulfills their obligations. It involves duty, loyalty, obedience, and service.

Meiyo - Dignified Honor:

This is the essence of Bushido. Without one's honor, one is nothing. A samurai without their good name, lacking self-respect, lacking dignity, is no samurai. A samurai maintains his/her dignity by following the Code and Bushido, by living so that he/she can respect himself/herself and can be respected by others, as well. It involves dignity, respect, and honor.

-------------

That's the basics of it. Let me know what you think. I'll get the Code up as I get it done.
Last edited by Mori on Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user is no longer active. Have a nice day. :)
Mori
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Tobias » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:12 pm

Looks good so far, Mori. Hopefully you'll get the Code up quickly :)
If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, then study hard and be evil!
Tobias
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Mori » Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:14 pm

OK, here's the portion of The Code that I've worked out so far that deals with

The Naikaku

The Naikaku (Council) is made up of all current Naikaku no Kanbo (Council Members) and the Shogun, who sits as Naikaku no Shuto (Head of the Council). Naikaku no Kanbo are either Daimyo or Members of an existing Major Clan. All Major Clans have one (1), and only one, Naikaku no Kanbo. If a Major Clan ever ceases to have a Naikaku no Kanbo representing them for an unreasonable time, or decides to opt out of this representation at any time, they cease to be a Major Clan and are assigned the status of a Minor Clan.

When a matter is brought before the Naikaku, the Kanbo and Shuto discuss the matter. Once the discussion is complete, a vote is taken. All Kanbo receive one vote, and may abstain if they wish. The Shuto only votes in the incident of a tie, in which case he has the deciding vote.

Naikaku rulings are made, for the most part, by majority rule; and in certain cases by unanimous rule. Most situations are majority rule, at which times a simple majority holds sway.

Naikaku rulings are presented to the Shogun after an affirmative vote, and the Shogun has one, and only one, chance to veto the ruling. This veto power is an all or nothing veto--no line item vetoing is allowed--and the veto must be determined as soon as the ruling is brought to the Shogun's attention. If the Shogun passes the ruling, or fails to veto the ruling upon being made aware of it (thereby passing it by his silence), the ruling has full, immediate effect.

Any member of the Buke (to be explained later--basically a samurai, or higher, in rank) in the Bakufu may present a matter before the Naikaku for a ruling, but matters are assigned a priority depending on who submitted the issue and the order in which it was submitted. Matters are given priority in the following order (highest to lowest):

Shogun
Naikaku no Kanbo
Shukerai
Major Clan Daimyo
Minor Clan Daimyo
Samurai

Any other matters that a Seito, Ashigaru, or Ronin wishes to bring before the Naikaku must be submitted by a member of the Buke.

All matters are considered in the order they were submitted, with priority holding sway.

In other words, let's say there are 10 matters before the Naikaku at a given time--4 are submitted by Samurai, 1 by a Minor Clan Daimyo, 2 by a Major Clan Daimyo, 1 by a Shukerai, 1 by a Naikaku no Kanbo, and 1 by the Shogun--they would be assigned priority in the following fashion.

1 ) The Shogun's matter (submitted 4/1/04)
2 ) The Naikaku no Kanbo's matter (submitted 4/1/04)
3 ) The Shukerai's matter (submitted 3/27/04)
4 ) The Major Clan Daimyo's matter (submitted 3/27/04)
5 ) The Minor Clan Daimyo's matter (submitted 3/26/04)
6 ) The Minor Clan Daimyo's matter (submitted 3/27/04)
7 ) The Samurai's matter (submitted 2/28/04)
8 ) The Samurai's matter (submitted 3/15/04)
9 ) The Samurai's matter (submitted 3/22/04)
10 ) The Samurai's matter (submitted 4/1/04)

A new matter is placed in priority order, above all matters of lower priority, after all matters of greater priority, and after all matters of equal priority that were submitted previously.

Does that make sense? Let me know if I need to clarify it.
Mori
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Tobias » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:14 pm

That's.... actually a pretty * good system you've got set up. Excellent job, as always, Mori.
Tobias
Barbarian
Barbarian

hmmmm....

Postby Satanaka » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:47 am

It all looks good- but it also looks like a lot for just a few people....

Are there not more out there?

Satanaka
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 12 May 1992
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Right side of the Sword

Postby Kitsune » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:26 am

We're still trying to recruit people at the moment.
--- Saladin

The man formerly known as Kitsune
Devote Hashin
Kitsune
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Elwrath » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:51 pm

I have 3 besides me, who are training to become Samurai.
Elwrath
Veteran
Veteran

Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: EBF

Postby Mikaiyawa » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:55 pm

better to have the structure before things get big, many is the group that dies becasue they get big to fast and have to change rules midway... Much better for the rules to be set from the t go.

Mieka
be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.
Mikaiyawa
Barbarian
Barbarian

questions

Postby Satanaka » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:14 am

I would also ask- where are most of you located? Is there anyone going to attend Spring War? If so- I would like to meet and talk more about what the foundation for a 'Samurai' should be.

I am also wondering what type of training is being given? what task & test anyone has had to go through to attain such title.

if I were at an event- and heard that someone proclaimed to be a Samurai- I do trust that I would be able to tell within an hour if they had the warriors spirit or just dressed the part.

I hope that if I meet any of you- you will be able to tell the same about me. Please do not get me wrong- every day i step onto the field- my spirit has to rise to meet the challenge of the day.

I look forward to have some brothers stand next to me in battle.

in faith,
Satanaka
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Ruun » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:06 am

I'll be at Spring War.
Yamimasu Kinichiro Akira (Ruun)
Follower of Bushido
Saburau (Samurai) = "to serve"
Bushi = "armed gentry"
Ruun
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Plithut » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:33 pm

Ok what I am curious to know is if there is going to be any open invitation to major clans?
Dragoon Plithut
Sir Plithut - 17th Knight of the Highlands (Retired)
Genetically Enhanced Life Form - GELF
God Squad - Mayhem Muhammad
Hell Hammer - Slaanesh Entices
Plithut
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2002
Realm: Babylon
Unit: GodSquad-HellHammer-Gelfs
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine and Archery

Postby Kitsune » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:07 pm

Hopefully, yes. I'm in the middle of finals right now, but when I finish I hope to post some more specifics of how I view my clan. I'm hoping everyone else is doing something similar.
--- Saladin

The man formerly known as Kitsune
Devote Hashin
Kitsune
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Mori » Sun May 16, 2004 9:35 pm

Alright, from the looks of it I've got up Bushido and the rules for The Naikaku. So, I've still got to post the rules for ranks and clans, and that's about it. Future rulings can be made by the Naikaku, per the above listed rules. If there are any other questions, let me know. I'll be happy to answer your queries.
Mori
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Mori » Sun May 16, 2004 11:22 pm

Well, per my promise, here are the rules for

The Buke

The language isn't too polished, as I'm just trying to get the rules up. Ask for clarification, if it doesn't make sense.

At any rate...

Ahem.

The term Buke means literally "military(warrior) house", and although I'm using it here to refer to the ranking system in general, it really only applies to those ranks based directly off of "samurai". Stick with me and it'll make sense.

In the Bakufu, there are the following ranks:

Shogun
Naikaku no Kanbo
Shukerai
Daimyo
Sensei
Samurai

Seito
Ashigaru

Ronin

The reason for the distinction you see above is what I mean by "ranks based off of samurai."

The ranks listed in RED are members of the Buke, also known as Bushi ("warriors"). These ranks are members in full-standing with all pertaining privileges.

The ranks listed in GREEN are members of the Jun-Buke ("sub-military[warrior] house"), also known as Mikomi-Bushi ("prospective warriors"). These ranks are members in good standing, but have not yet reached the status of fully fledged members.

The rank listed in INDIGO is the Hi-Buke ("non-military[warrior] house"), also known as Ochiita-Bushi ("fallen warriors"). This rank is for those in disciplined standing--those who have not been expelled from the Bakufu, but who have violated the Code and/or Bushido. They are still considered part of the Bakufu, but are denied even the Jun-Buke's privileges.

The consensus of the Naikaku is required for any member of the Bakufu to change rank.

Now, for a more specific detailing of the ranks:

SAMURAI

This is the basic rank in the Bakufu, and all other ranks are (in one form or another) based off of this one.

Samurai are full members of the Bakufu in good standing. They command respect from all Mikomi-Bushi and Ochiita-Bushi. A Samurai is expected to respect all those above him within the Buke. In order to raise any higher in the ranks, one must first become a Samurai.

A Samurai's rights, privileges, and obligations are as follows:

-A Samurai must follow Bushido. The interpretation of the Seven Virtues of Bushido is left to the individual Samurai, but they must be observed. A Samurai who fails to follow Bushido is subject to disciplinary action.
-A Samurai commands respect from all Seito, Ashigaru, and Ronin.
-A Samurai may give any Ashigaru or Ronin an order, and such orders will be obeyed.
-A Samurai may become a Sensei or Ronin.
-A Samurai may place a matter for consideration before the Naikaku.
-A Samurai is entitled to assistance, within reason, from all members of the Bakufu; and may request such assistance at need. A Samurai may request assistance from another Samurai in this manner once per month. A Samurai may request any of the following:

+the loan of suitable equipment (weapons, armor, and garb) for the duration of one [1] unit of fighting time (day [for an event] or evening [for a practice]), provided that a surplus is available

+one [1] meal, provided that a surplus is available

+one [1] night's lodging, provided that a surplus is available

A Samurai who abuses this privilege will be subject to disciplinary action. Provided that a sufficient surplus is available, the requestee must provide the desired assistance to the Samurai in question. Judgment of whether or not a surplus is available is left to the requestee, and if they determine that a surplus is not available then assistance will not be forced.

SENSEI

Sensei are considered Samurai in all ways, save the following:

-A Sensei commands respect from all Samurai, Seito, Ashigaru, and Ronin.
-A Sensei may take one [1] Seito at his own discretion. If a Sensei wishes to take more than one Seito, an appeal must be made to the Naikaku.
-A Sensei may give his own Seito (but never another Sensei's Seito) an order, and such orders will be obeyed.
-A Sensei may become a Daimyo, Shukerai, Naikaku no Kanbo, or Ronin.
-A Sensei may request assistance for one [1] person--either himself or his Seito--but not both. If a Sensei has more than one Seito, the request may be made for the Sensei himself or any of his Seito, but only for one [1] person.

DAIMYO

A Daimyo is the leader of either a Major Clan (Uji), or Minor Clan (Zoku). A Daimyo is considered a Sensei in all ways, except for the following:

-A Daimyo commands respect from all Sensei, Samurai, Seito, Ashigaru, and Ronin.
-A Daimyo may give any member of his own clan (but never a member of a household or another clan) an order, and such orders will be obeyed.
-A Minor Clan Daimyo may place a matter for consideration before the Naikaku, and such will be considered higher priority than the request of a Samurai.
-A Major Clan Daimyo may place a matter for consideration before the Naikaku, and such will be considered higher priority than the matter of a Samurai or Minor Clan Daimyo.
-A Minor Clan Daimyo may become a Major Clan Daimyo or Ronin. A Minor Clan Daimyo becomes a Major Clan Daimyo when his clan changes from Minor Clan status to Major Clan status. All clan status changes must be approved by the Naikaku.
-A Major Clan Daimyo may become a Minor Clan Daimyo, Naikaku no Kanbo, Shogun, or Ronin. A Major Clan Daimyo becomes a Minor Clan Daimyo when his clan changes from Major Clan status to Minor Clan status. All clan status changes must be approved by the Naikaku.
-A Daimyo may only request assistance for himself from any individual Samurai. However, a Daimyo may request assistance from the Bakufu as a whole for his own clan. A Daimyo may request assistance for his clan once every three [3] months. Such assistance can take the following forms:

+sufficient equipment (weapons, armor, and garb) for his clan for the duration of one [1] unit of fighting time (day [for an event] or evening [for a practice]), provided that a surplus is available

+one [1] meal for his clan, provided that a surplus is available

+one [1] night's lodging for his clan, provided that a surplus is available

A Daimyo who abuses this privilege will be subject to disciplinary action. The availability of a surplus is left to the judgment of the Naikaku, who will assess the situation fairly and objectively. If the Naikaku determines that a surplus is not available, assistance will not be forced.

SHUKERAI

A Shukerai is the leader of a Household. A Shukerai is exactly like a Daimyo, except in the following ways:

-A Shukerai commands respect from all Daimyo, Sensei, Samurai, Seito, Ashigaru, and Ronin.
-A Shukerai may give any member of his own household (but never a member of a clan or another household) an order, and such orders will be obeyed.
-A Shukerai may place a matter for consideration before the Naikaku, and such will be considered higher priority than the matter of a Samurai, Minor Clan Daimyo, or Major Clan Daimyo.
-A Shukerai may become Ronin.
-A Shukerai may request assistance for his own household in the same manner that a Daimyo requests assistance for his own clan.

NAIKAKU NO KANBO

A Naikaku no Kanbo is a member of the Naikaku. A Naikaku no Kanbo is exactly like a Sensei, except in the following ways:

-A Naikaku no Kanbo commands respect from all Shukerai, Daimyo, Sensei, Samurai, Seito, Ashigaru, and Ronin.
-A Naikaku no Kanbo may vote on matters before the Naikaku, per the rules of the Naikaku.
-A Naikaku no Kanbo may place a matter for consideration before the Naikaku, and such will be considered higher priority than the matter of a Samurai, Minor Clan Daimyo, Major Clan Daimyo, or Shukerai.
-A Naikaku no Kanbo may simultaneously be a Major Clan Daimyo. In such instances, all rules for BOTH Naikaku no Kanbo AND Major Clan Daimyo apply.
-A Naikaku no Kanbo MUST be a member of a Major Clan. Should the Naikaku no Kanbo's clan change from Major Clan status to Minor Clan status, he immediately reverts to his previous rank in the Bakufu.
-A Naikaku no Kanbo may be designated by the Naikaku as a representative of the Council (by majority rule) for the duration one [1] decision, statement, or command. For the duration of said decision, statement, or command the Naikaku no Kanbo speaks with the full authority of the Naikaku and may give any member of the Bakufu an order, and such orders will be obeyed. Once the duration has expired, the Naikaku no Kanbo reverts to his previous authority.
-A Naikaku no Kanbo may only request aid for himself or his Seito, following the same rules as Sensei.

SHOGUN

The Shogun is the leader of the Bakufu and the Head of the Council. There is only ever one [1] Shogun at any given time. A Shogun is the same as a Sensei, except in the following ways:

-The Shogun commands the respect of all members of the Bakufu.
-The Shogun may give any member of the Bakufu an order, and such orders will be obeyed.
-The Shogun may vote on matters before the Naikaku IF AND ONLY IF there is a tie, in which case the Shogun's vote is decisive.
-The Shogun may veto any and all decisions passed by the Naikaku. The decision to "veto" or "pass" must be made AS SOON AS the Shogun learns of the decision. Silence is considered a "pass." If the Shogun does not veto the decision once he learns of it, he may never attempt to veto it again.
-The Shogun may place a matter for consideration before the Naikaku, and such will be considered higher priority than the matter of a Samurai, Minor Clan Daimyo, Major Clan Daimyo, Shukerai, or Naikaku no Kanbo.
-The Shogun is considered to be a member of NO CLAN OR HOUSEHOLD. However, the Shogun will be served by a Household, which will assist him in his administrative duties.
-The Shogun may become Ronin. The Shogun may not veto the Naikaku decision to unseat him and make him Ronin. The decision to unseat the Shogun and make him Ronin is the ONLY Naikaku decision the Shogun is not allowed to veto.

SEITO

A Seito is a member of the Jun-Buke. Seito are considered partial members of the Bakufu, and have the potential to become full members. All new members of the Bakufu are either Seito or Ashigaru.

A Seito has all of the following rights, privileges, and obligations:

-A Seito must follow Bushido. The interpretation of the Seven Virtues of Bushido is left to the Seito's Sensei, but they must be observed. A Seito who fails to follow Bushido is subject to disciplinary action.
-A Seito commands respect from all Ashigaru and Ronin.
-A Seito may become a Samurai or Ronin. Since the Seito cannot place matters before the Naikaku by himself, his Sensei must place the matter of his promotion to Samurai before the Naikaku for him. No other Samurai besides the Seito's own Sensei may place the matter of his promotion before the council in this fashion.
-A Seito is entitled to assistance from his Sensei in all matters regarding his equipment (weapons, armor, and garb) and training. This assistance may take whatever form the Sensei wishes, but must be provided.

ASHIGARU

An Ashigaru is a member of the Bakufu who wishes to be associated with the organization but not as Samurai. This is either by the individual's volition (some don't want to live by the Samurai's rules), or because they have been denied Samurai status by the Naikaku.

An Ashigaru has the following rights and privileges:

-An Ashigaru is not required to follow Bushido.
-An Ashigaru commands the respect of all Ronin.
-An Ashigaru may become a Seito or Ronin.
-An Ashigaru may request assistance following the same rules as Samurai, EXCEPT that an Ashigaru may only request equipment loans, not food or lodging.

RONIN

Ronin are members of the Bakufu who are currently being disciplined. This may be because they violated one (or more) of the virtues of Bushido, disobeyed a direct order, betrayed the Bakufu or any of its members, or any other reason the Naikaku deems worthy of discipline. Ronin are considered Ochiita-Bushi, or "fallen warriors". They are also referred to as the Hi-Buke, or "non-military(warrior) house". They are still considered members of the Bakufu, though their rights and privileges are severely limited.

A Ronin's rights, privileges, and obligations are as follows:

-A Ronin must abide by all the terms of his punishment. The terms are set by the Naikaku when the individual's status is changed to Ronin. A Ronin who fails to abide by the terms of his punishment is subject to expulsion from the Bakufu.
-A Ronin may become Ashigaru, Seito, Samurai, Sensei, Daimyo, Shukerai, or Naikaku no Kanbo. Once the Ronin's punishment is over, the Naikaku may assign him any rank they deem fit.
-A Ronin may not request assistance from any member of the Bakufu.

------------------------------

Well, that's pretty much it. I want to note here that the terminology used in "requesting assistance" only refers to official requests that must be honored. A member can make an informal request as often as he likes, and the fulfillment of that request is left to the discretion of the requestee, just like in the real world.

Let me know if I missed anything, or if something doesn't make sense. I'm sorry for the long post, but I wanted to just get it over and done with, instead of making several posts and possibly forgetting something.

Yoroshiku.
Mori
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Mori » Sun May 16, 2004 11:30 pm

For convenience's sake, here's what I posted under Clans in the Oriental Culture forum about the Bakufu clan system:

------------------------------------

The clan structure of the Shogunate consists of four (4) distinct group types, of which organizations within the Shogunate will fall: Major Clans, Minor Clans, Schools, and Households.

Major Clans are organizations that are officially recognized by the Naikaku (Council) as clans and have a seat on the Council.

Minor Clans are organizations that are officially recognized by the Naikaku as clans, but don't have a seat on the Council.

Schools are organizations that are not officially recognized by the Naikaku as clans.

Households are organizations that are recognized by the Naikaku as Households.

The rights, privileges, authorities, etc. for each are detailed below:

Major Clan - The Major Clans (referred to as uji, or -ji as a suffix) are organizations officially recognized with a seat on the council. The clan is organized along lines set down by the daimyo and agreed to (or not) by the members of the clan. A Major Clan has the following rights, privileges, and authorities:
-A Major Clan has the authority to establish rules, regulations, laws, strictures, etc. which the members of the clan are required to follow in the same way that they are required to follow the Code and Bushido, and are subject to the same disciplinary action for failing to follow the rules of their clan as if they failed to follow the Code and/or Bushido
-A Major Clan has the full, official backing of the Shogunate and a full endorsement of the Naikaku. So long as the clan doesn't seriously * things up, what they do will be considered authorized by the Naikaku.
-A Major Clan's daimyo, or duly appointed representative, will fill a seat on the Council and participate as a Council Member (Naikaku no Kanbo)
-A Major Clan's daimyo will receive greater respect than the daimyo of a Minor Clan, or a regular samurai

Minor Clan - Minor Clans (referred to as zoku, which is also the suffix form) are exactly the same as Major Clans in every way except for the following:
-A Minor Clan's daimyo will receive greater respect than a regular samurai, but not as much respect as a Major Clan's diamyo
-A Minor Clan will not have a seat on the Council
-A Minor Clan may become a Major Clan with the approval of the Naikaku, and only Minor Clans have the potential to become Major Clans (i.e. - Schools and Households may not become Major Clans)

School - Schools (referred to as ryu, which is also the suffix form) are organizations consisting of Shogunate members (in good or disciplined standing) that the Naikaku does not officially recognize as a clan or household. Schools have no rights, privileges, or authorities separate from the rights, privileges, and authorities of its constituent members. In other words, a School neither adds nor detracts from the rights, etc. of its members; if a member is a samurai, he gets no extra rights, privileges, or authorities officially recognized by the Naikaku other than what he/she already has as a samurai.
-A School may become a Minor Clan with the approval of the Naikaku. Only Schools have the potential to become Minor Clans (i.e. - Households may not become Minor Clans).
-A School does not have the official backing of the Naikaku in the way that a clan does. What the School does only has the authorization of the Naikaku in the way that individual members of the Shogunate have authorization.

Household - A Household (referred to as ke, which is also the suffix form) is an organization that is recognized by the Naikaku as having the full rights, privileges, and authorities of a clan (with a few exceptions), without being a clan. A Household is exactly the same as a Major Clan except in the following ways:
-A Household does not have a seat on the council, and never will.
-A Household does not have the potential to become a School, Minor Clan, or Major Clan. Once an organization is a Household, it stays a Household permanently.
-A Major Clan, Minor Clan, or School may become a Household with the authorization of the Naikaku.
-A Household's ruler is not referred to as a daimyo, but rather as a Shukerai, or Chief Retainer.
-A Shukerai has all of the rights, privileges, and authorities of a Major Clan daimyo, but can never become the diamyo of a Major Clan or a Minor Clan, or a Council Member.
-A Shukerai receives more respect than a Major Clan daimyo, but not as much as a Council Member.

NOTE: The only Household that I plan on having in the organization is the Shogunal Household, but I'm leaving it open for more to be added if the Council wants to do that. The purpose of the Shogunal Household is to assist me (i.e. the Shogun) with what I need to do in the organization and running of the Shogunate.

-------------------------------------

That's how it was originally posted (with some minor modifications). The explanation seems to work just fine with how I've tweaked things since then, so I'll leave it as is for now.

Again, ask me any questions that you may have and/or let me know if something needs to be clarified.
Mori
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Mori » Sun May 16, 2004 11:40 pm

And now, for a few miscellaneous rules that fall under the Code, but not Bushido. I don't have any particular designation for them as of yet. They're really more like ideas than anything else, anyway.

These are experimental and subject to change. Let me know what you think--are they good? are they bad? should something be added? should something be taken away?

Let me know.

---------------------------

= All members are expected to treat fellow members with respect, and (as long as it's feasible) to assist fellow members on and off the field. For example, if you're a Samurai and and Ashigaru is struggling nearby against multiple opponents, if you can (i.e. he's on your team, you're not fighting people yourself, etc.) you must go help him out.

= A member of the Buke may only use equipment (weapons, armor, and garb) that are in the Japanese style and are appropriate for his station. With regard to weapons, see the list under the Sakimori-Ryu thread in this forum. With regards to armor, Japanese style armor is allowed. For the present time, shields are not.

= Ashigaru may use whatever equipment they see fit, though it should have a decidedly "Japanese flair" to it. In other words, armor, shields, and weapons should make someone think "that looks kinda Japanese" at the very least.

= All members of the Buke are expected to obtain as soon as possible (if they do not already have such) and maintain in good condition suitable garb. The term "suitable garb" refers to garb which is reminiscent of samurai: kimono, hakama, happi, tabi, obi, gi, haori, etc. If you don't have such right now, get it as soon as is feasible.

= All members are expected to maintain their equipment in the highest quality they can, and to treat all of their equipment with proper respect. No leaning on swords, no ragged covers on weapons, no threadbare garb, etc.

= All members are expected to take all hits of sufficient force. We want to have a good reputation as an honorable organization. Rhino-hiding will not be tolerated.

----------------------------

That's all that I can think of for now. What do you think? Are these good rules, or not? Should we add more to them? Should we revise them at all?

Let me know.
Last edited by Mori on Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mori
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Ruun » Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:21 pm

Because I use a shield (at least for now), am I considered Ashigaru?
Yamimasu Kinichiro Akira (Ruun)
Follower of Bushido
Saburau (Samurai) = "to serve"
Bushi = "armed gentry"
Ruun
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Mori » Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:29 pm

We're going through the final stages of who's what rank right now. We'll keep in touch and let you know.

Remember, also, that my last post is more along the lines of rule "suggestions" than anything, really. They're not official until the Naikaku votes on them.

The rest of it, though, is official as of now.
Mori
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Mori » Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:34 pm

I just want to highlight this again so everyone pays attention.

If you are not familiar with the rules in this thread, then read them again, please. This is how the Bakufu works, and if you're not sure about something, it's probably in here. If you have any questions, post them here.

If you think a change should be made to any aspect of the Code or Bushido, or the little snippet of experimental ammendments I tagged onto the end, post it here. These aren't set in stone. If you want to see a change, tell us what it is and the Naikaku will discuss it. That's what we're here for.

AGAIN, please, read through this thread one more time unless you have the rules memorized. There'll be a test later ;) just kidding.
Mori
Slayer
Slayer

my appologies

Postby Satanaka » Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:41 pm

hello- i do not wish to sound harsh- but i would like to point out that the rule about shields is not correct via historical documentation and as a true warrior- you have to fight against many styles of weapons. To train against those weapons- I have found that you learn best by using the weapon and learning it's strength and weaknesses. In doing this- you become a better warrior.

I will be willing to place a friendly wager for a nice hot Sake that I can take a shield and short sword and defeat half the people here that are using a Katana on the field of the Cloth of Gold.....

As for me- I will continue to weild and learn as many differnt weapon styles as I can to better my mind, body and spirit.

This is the way of Bushido.

Do you truly think I am wrong?

in faith,

Sir Satanaka
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Mori » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:01 pm

Thanks, Satanaka.

I've been looking diligently for historical documentation that states whether Samurai used shields one way or the other. Unfortunately, I have not been able to track down anything that says they did or they didn't. I've only been able to find records of "traditional" Samurai weaponry, though I have run across one or two snippets about a pavisse-like standing shield.

If you've found documents, I would love to see them. This is my passion, after all. ;) Please send me a reference.

As for having it as a rule, I thought that it might be something to distinguish between Samurai and Knights. I know a lot of knights refuse to fight with a flail as part of their code, and I thought that not fighting with shields and the like would be something equally distinctive. Like I said, though, I'm open to change. If we want to use shields, then I'm fine with that.

What does everyone else have to say about it?
Mori
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Kaibashi Shintaro » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:07 pm

I florentine, but I say may as well open the flood gates for shields.
Kaibashi Shintaro
Warrior
Warrior

Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine

Postby Tobias » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:53 am

I will, in all likelihood, either be flourentining or fighting polearm, so I don't really care one way or the other. Personally, I don't like using them. Restricts my movement too much.
Tobias
Barbarian
Barbarian

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb