RSS feeds and your website...

Webpage and Web Board Stuff

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

RSS feeds and your website...

Postby Sir Cairbre » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:18 am

I think with some proper setup we could build a network of RSS feeds... there are a ton of tech out there that we are not even sharing...

Winfang sent me an RSS feed and I already have it up on Rausumea.com... Additionaly I found one for the nuke.Belegarth site that I could turn on as well. I am not going to advertise it here because I think Winfang rather do that with admins than with the public. But we could definatly build a feed reader that did things like events and other announcements, so we could wind them all together and build a really nice mod/applet to display a ticker on any belegarth page with a small amount of code. Imagine your webpage had an accurate news ticker on it for all of belegarth and you didn't even have to do anything to keep it up to date.
-Sir Cairbre Madøg
Sir Cairbre
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 1997
Realm: FightColumbus
Unit: Uruk-hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Round Shield and Short Sword.

Postby Seiichiro » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:37 am

All you really need is a blog to generate an RSS feed. Nucleus is a lightweight, but versatile blog and the database makes it easy to extract blog entries. You can post events as a blog, or with some scripting and db querying (maybe some Javascript for on the fly reading/updating), do a custom listing. All php and mysql.

Plus, Mac users could get to use the RSS Visualizer screensaver with it. With Quartz Composer, you can even make your own RSS screensaver or customize the existing one. Anyone know how to create screensavers for Windows?

Yay xml!
- Akiyama Seiichiro Mitsusada

Renci de Shangdi, qing dai wo zou
Wo xiang mei er, mei xin, bian shi tou
Seiichiro
Slayer
Slayer

Postby FuzzIt » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:13 pm

You can always just download the specs for a version of RSS or Atom and build your own feed. But that's only if you do use some home-brew CMS or don't have a CMS at all.
Most of the major blogs out there release a RSS feed for a user. I know LiveJournal does as does Blogger.
Perhaps someone should find/build a feed sharing/aggregating service. Would be pretty cool.
FuzzIt
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2000
Realm: Avalon
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon

Postby Seiichiro » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:20 am

The XML for the feed is pretty simple. The php to generate it, doubly so.
- Akiyama Seiichiro Mitsusada

Renci de Shangdi, qing dai wo zou
Wo xiang mei er, mei xin, bian shi tou
Seiichiro
Slayer
Slayer

Return to Web Design