FrontPage Font Issues

Webpage and Web Board Stuff

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

FrontPage Font Issues

Postby Zzyzx » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:41 am

This is my first time using Front Page, having issues. I've downloaded the fonts I like to my computer [they are TrueType if it matters] and used them on the hordewin.com page. When I log on to the external site on my system, the page looks like this:

Vokor logged on to the same page on his system http://www.hordewin.com/races.htm and is getting standard Arial looking fonts.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to have non-standard fonts show up on the page even if they are not already on the viewer's machine, or do they automatically convert to another font if the viewer does not have those fonts?
Zzyzx

Postby Winfang » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:16 am

If it's not a standard font that's included with most systems, then that's what will happen. The other computers don't have the font loaded so they revert back a standard font like Times New Roman or Arial.

The best way to use different fonts on a website is to create them as an image file such as .gif or .png file. I would not use .jpg unless you make sure the compression rate is very low.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Winfang » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:19 am

Also you resolution of the site is really large. I've got my set to 1280x1024 and I'm still getting the evil scroll bar on the bottom. You might want to design it alittle smaller.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Seiichiro » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:19 am

Well, that's because FrontPage sucks and leads programmers into thinking they can use custom fonts by making it's functionality a lot like Word. In reality, there's a limited number of fonts you can use for web pages. The reason being that in order to view a particular font on a webpage, you have to have that font installed on your computer. So, you're limited by arial, verdana, times, georgia, comic-sans, etc.

- Get a better web page editor like Nvu (it's free). It's not quite Dreamweaver, but for free, it's * good. Hell, if it were $50 it would still be worth getting.

- Instead of doing fonts, use graphics for your links (don't forget to use your image alt text). If you need a graphics editor, try GIMP ("Binaries for various platforms").

- Use the W3C Schools for reference and tutorials. They go over things like web safe fonts and colors.
- Akiyama Seiichiro Mitsusada

Renci de Shangdi, qing dai wo zou
Wo xiang mei er, mei xin, bian shi tou
Seiichiro
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Winfang » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:30 am

Yes W3CSchool is amazing website with many great tutorials! I still constantly use it as reference.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Sir Cairbre » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:36 am

Yeah, I hate to tell you, but most web programers use applications like PHP Designer (free) and Ultra Edit which are both are basicly Notepad on speed crack and a designed just for what us web editors do all day long.
-Sir Cairbre Madøg
Sir Cairbre
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 1997
Realm: FightColumbus
Unit: Uruk-hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Round Shield and Short Sword.

Postby Zzyzx » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:16 pm

Thanks for the feedback all, between what you've posted and what TeeDge has e-mailed I should be able to do what needs to be done. No time to mess with it tonight (driving up to Numenor Opener) - should have the page decently ready by next week.
Zzyzx

Return to Web Design