Word filter being shut off.

Webpage and Web Board Stuff

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Word filter being shut off.

Postby Sir Cairbre » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:33 am

For construction purposes we are going to turn off the 'Word filter' that has received such a wonder welcome. It is scheduled to be turned off for 30 days by order of Kyrian our president. It may be turned on at a more rapid schedule but we will give you more notice that it is being turned on as well.

There is a private forum filter turn off mod... It says 3-6 minutes but I looked at it and it is probably a 45 minute one with all things. I will install it on our "test" copy of the board to insure the whole thing doesn't come crashing down. In the mean time the moderators ask that you keep the content clean while you are posting. While I have not told them to treat you guys any different in regards to moderation, I think many of them are upset right now and I would walk a little more on the PC in the public forums.

I probably won't install the mod on Chronicals (the default theme). This means that in private forums everything(private or public) will be censored if you use the default theme.

If users want to see an uncensored board's private forum, they will have to use the other theme Quijibo. We'll try to install another couple theme's to accommodate those that don't like Quijibo.

This is the plan, if the technology works that way then I think it will accommodate the wishes of the more vulgar portion of our population.
-Sir Cairbre Madøg
Sir Cairbre
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 1997
Realm: FightColumbus
Unit: Uruk-hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Round Shield and Short Sword.

Postby Izareth » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:59 am

I think it was more about the abruptness of the change. The profanity problem apparently was not widely percieved.

I apologize if offense was taken from my "no" to the word filter thread, I was just being honest. I guess I proved my vulgarity.
Captain Izareth Voldranai ak ni Rered Naw
Horde LongFang
Dreng of Dead River
Hand of the Gods Clan
King of Deals
Viking Bastards. Your inferiority, our inspiration.
(\_/)
(O.o)
Izareth
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Cyric » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:02 am

i tried to change to the other theme, but it didn't take. all that happens is a black box stretching across the screen with a red border. none of my other changes happened either, like changing my sig back.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Postby Sir Cairbre » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:21 am

Can you get me a screen shot? Quijob should work.. I use it.
-Sir Cairbre Madøg
Sir Cairbre
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 1997
Realm: FightColumbus
Unit: Uruk-hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Round Shield and Short Sword.

Re: Word filter being shut off.

Postby Zzyzx » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:26 am

SirMADOG wrote:While I have not told them to treat you guys any different in regards to moderation, I think many of them are upset right now and I would walk a little more on the PC in the public forums.

Until official changes are made, modding will be done the same as before. There are no angry mods out to get people.

I am glad the word filters are being discussed in public now so we can base a decision off of the opinions of the people who this affects.
Zzyzx

Postby Teej » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:01 am

EDIT: no need to spam, I posted my opinion.
Last edited by Teej on Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Elwrath » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:07 am

zing...

use spikes idea straight up.
Elwrath
Veteran
Veteran

Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: EBF

Postby Xooyan » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:15 am

Zzyzx wrote:
SirMADOG wrote:While I have not told them to treat you guys any different in regards to moderation, I think many of them are upset right now and I would walk a little more on the PC in the public forums.

Until official changes are made, modding will be done the same as before. There are no angry mods out to get people.

I am glad the word filters are being discussed in public now so we can base a decision off of the opinions of the people who this affects.

I agree with Zzyzx, the mods have a long standing tradition of trying to keep personal feelings out of their moderation of the boards. This has not changed as far as I can tell. Mods who are acting with excessive force for personal reasons or out of anger or frustration should not be moderating.
Xooyan of Andredesweald
Genetically Enhanced Life Form and proud of it
Xooyan

Postby Cyric » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:21 am

i do, but i can't upload it at school cause of filters. i'll send it when i get home.

i'm using firefox, if that matters at all.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Cyric » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:43 am

scratch that, it gives me the black box when i try to edit my profile in any way.

but it worked in IE 7. weird. i think i may have a conflict with an extension, so don't worry about it.

ugh, this is really ugly. i guess it's the price we have to pay for free speech. ;)
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ICARUS » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:52 am

With everyone saying good for public forum does anyone think its wierd that maddog is trying to make alot of the private forums public? (Humor, Sport stuff and media)
You can't say civilization don't advance... in every war they kill you in a new way.- Will Rogers
CHECK OUT MY PICS AT:
http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/trixster_87/
ICARUS
Brute
Brute

Postby Colin » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:40 pm

ICARUS wrote:With everyone saying good for public forum does anyone think its wierd that maddog is trying to make alot of the private forums public? (Humor, Sport stuff and media)

I love it. We have too many junk/unnecessary private forums.
"Akbar the Foul - 1st strike anything illegal (treason) "
Colin
Little Noodly Guy
Little Noodly Guy

Unit: BOF

Postby Cyric » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:43 pm

Colin wrote:
ICARUS wrote:With everyone saying good for public forum does anyone think its wierd that maddog is trying to make alot of the private forums public? (Humor, Sport stuff and media)

I love it. We have too many junk/unnecessary private forums.

yeah, but when it's private we don't have to see it unless we want to.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Return to Web Design