How to improve this board

Webpage and Web Board Stuff

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

How to improve this board

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:53 pm

This may take a bit so please read the whole thing before replying...

In the little bit of reading I have done, the "new" fireboard had problems that could not be repaired and we are going back to this, the "old" board. I was not around for the first board so the "old" board is new to me.

To avoid confusion, I propose calling the old board, version 1, the fireboard version 2 and the current board version 3. The reason for this terminology will become clear in a moment.

To the best of my understanding, several people complained about problems on V2 board and the primary reason for the V3 was that the problems on the new board could not be repaired. If I am off on a detail, please mail be privately as Iwould like to keep what may be a long discussion down to my original topic as much as possible.

Now, as soon as a copy of version 1 was placed on the web, small changes were made. I would like to contunue the process in a constructive manner. I would like to hear a shopping/wish list, as specific as humanly possible, of additional changes people would like to see on V3 along with reasons why they want the Webmasters to put in the work.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Re: How to improve this board

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:02 pm

Thomas MacFinn wrote:I would like to hear a shopping/wish list, as specific as humanly possible, of additional changes people would like to see on V3 along with reasons why they want the Webmasters to put in the work.

Here's my wish list:
1) When a reply is made to a post, I would like to see "Re: subject" in the subject line of my reply without me having to type anything. Sometimes the subject field on replies is just blank.
2) I believe the Dun Abhon local list saw quite a bit of activity that was not relevent to the Belegarth populace at large. While I don't agree that these boards need to be private, I would like to see a local forum on V3. It doesn't need to be Realm Specific. It could be by State or even by region. I think a local list would allow for discussions of such topics as autocrat planning for upcoming events and who is going to attend the next fighter practice if the weather turns bad.
3) I don't think transferring V2 posts to V3 should be the webmaster's job. Most of those posts are just junk (most of the 100+ posts I made aren't worth saving). However, I applaud the efforts made by of some of the Belegarth members to copy those threads that are worth remembering onto V3 (for example,Bortas creating "Collection of Sir Kenneth's Blogs" on V3), ask them to keep up the good work and ask anyone else who knows of a post they would like to see saved to do the same.
4) Can the background in the text area be made a bit lighter? While I like the current color sceme, a slightly lighter background in the text block would make for easier reading on these aging eyes.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:14 pm

2a) I don't think the local boards need to be indexed seperately. Just creating a new group of forums at the bottom of the "Belegarth Forum Index" would be fine.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Postby Arrakis » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:32 pm

Things are being taken care of. This wishlist isn't a bad idea, I just urge everyone to be patient. **** will get done, but not while I'm buried in finals and SirMadog is workin' it by himself.

Also, the problems with Fireboard weren't unsolvable. Nothing in computer science (except maybe solving an NP hard problem in polytime...) is unsolvable. PATIENCE.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Atari » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:27 am

Aren't V1 and V3 the same thing? I would like to have Andor's private forum back for one, and bigger Avitars would be nice, but that is probably not going to happen.
SAHS

"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way."
-General George Patton
"The 9mm is a .45 set on 'stun'"
-Unknown
Atari
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 14 Jul 2005
Realm: Andor
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Bow and Arrow

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:31 am

Atari of Andor wrote:Aren't V1 and V3 the same thing?

Talking about them seperately allows this kind of conversation.

A: I don't like the old version because of X problem
B: That was a problem in V1 but has been fixed in V3.
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:34 am

Atari of Andor wrote:... and bigger Avitars would be nice ...

How big? I think there should be a limit of some kind. The current limit is 100 x 100 pixels.
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:36 am

7) A "Home" link from the message board back to belegarth.com would be nice.
Thomas Mac Finn

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Postby Magpie Saegar » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:12 am

Better terms, since they would be descriptive, would be: phpbb, fireboard, and phpbb2 or (phpbb-round-2 or something)....

I agree with the home link back to belegarth.com.... but that (and these others) are really pretty minor issues.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby Black Cat » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:36 pm

Thomas MacFinn wrote:
Atari of Andor wrote:... and bigger Avitars would be nice ...

How big? I think there should be a limit of some kind. The current limit is 100 x 100 pixels.

150 x 150 or 150 h x 100 w

Unless that would cause problems with the server. If that is the case, then leave it how it is.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Postby Achase MacKerras » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:08 pm

I just want to say that I am glad to be back on the old boards, feels like home, easier to navigate and more asthetically pleasing.
Regent and Artisan of the Cu Sith
House Haldane
Priestess of Wolfbane
Love of our neighbor is the only
door out of the dungeon of self.
Achase MacKerras
Monkey
Monkey

Realm: Sage Hill
Unit: Cu Sith
Favorite Fighting Styles: Arching

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:41 pm

8 ) I had two thoughts on two seperate topics so started two threads. When posting the second topic, I got a message telling me I was posting too fast and to respost my second message later. I waited a moment then reposted my second message only to discover that (despite the notice) the first attempt had posted anyway and I had just created a duplicate thread. I'm not sure how this needs to be fixed - perhaps rewording the message that told me the too fast thread didn't post
Thomas Mac Finn

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:48 pm

9) A "Report this thread" email shortcut would be nice for those of us who do not know who to contact if somebody makes an inappropriate post.
Thomas Mac Finn

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:54 pm

Magpie of Rhûn wrote:I agree with the home link back to belegarth.com.... but that (and these others) are really pretty minor issues.

I never saw V1, but am very glad V3 doesn't appear to be plagued with problems that cropped up in V2 and have still not gone away. I much prefer this board.

However, there remain those who liked V2 and when asked why they usually site little things like we are listing here. The big (to me) problems that plague V2 appear to be equally minor to them.
Thomas Mac Finn

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Postby A Pimp Named Kabibbles » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:53 pm

your #9 doesn't really matter, mods are on every day, and if they are like most people they check their emails right about the same time they check the boards.

if you really think you need to email a mod, just click the email button in any mods post.
Mack Daddy of Khazad-Dum
Dark-Guard
"If you can dodge traffic, you can dodge a ball" I gess I cant dodge a ball
Team Purple........*
A Pimp Named Kabibbles
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0-10-2003
Realm: Khazad-Dum
Unit: Dark Guard
Favorite Fighting Styles: The one were your moms feet are behind her head

Postby Cib » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:45 pm

Thomas MacFinn wrote:9) A "Report this thread" email shortcut would be nice for those of us who do not know who to contact if somebody makes an inappropriate post.

I agree.
Creativity is Key
The truth begs for scrutiny, but lies beg for tolerance.
Cib
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Arderyth
Unit: Mercenaries of Strathclyde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Spear

Postby Big King Jimmy » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:07 pm

2) I believe the Dun Abhon local list saw quite a bit of activity that was not relevent to the Belegarth populace at large. While I don't agree that these boards need to be private, I would like to see a local forum on V3. It doesn't need to be Realm Specific. It could be by State or even by region. I think a local list would allow for discussions of such topics as autocrat planning for upcoming events and who is going to attend the next fighter practice if the weather turns bad.

You don't need a mod to create this, you can do it yourself. I've been the admin on the Chicago Area Realms forum for almost a year and a half. Also, Madog started the Ohio Belegarth forum.

This forum doesn't ask for your zipcode when you apply, so it can't automatically land you in any region or state forum.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:10 am

Big Jimmy wrote:2) I believe the Dun Abhon local list saw quite a bit of activity that was not relevent to the Belegarth populace at large. While I don't agree that these boards need to be private, I would like to see a local forum on V3. It doesn't need to be Realm Specific. It could be by State or even by region. I think a local list would allow for discussions of such topics as autocrat planning for upcoming events and who is going to attend the next fighter practice if the weather turns bad.

You don't need a mod to create this, you can do it yourself. I've been the admin on the Chicago Area Realms forum for almost a year and a half. Also, Madog started the Ohio Belegarth forum.

This forum doesn't ask for your zipcode when you apply, so it can't automatically land you in any region or state forum.

At the time I said that, I didn't know about Usergroups. There is already a well established Dun Abhon board that I wasn't awaer of at that time.
Thomas Mac Finn

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Re: How to improve this board

Postby Bortas » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:58 am

Ok, so I've been thinking about this for a while, and I'm still not sure I can properly convey what is in my head to my fingers...

Basically, I envision people coming to the site, and the first thing they see is a very short description of the sport (with an emphasis on full contact combat), accompanied by some epic pics showing actual fighting, rather than just large groups walking towards each other with weapons at the ready. Perhaps a short video clip as well.

I view a SHORT list of links to the side, that will allow long time people quick access to what we are looking for (ie: boards, wiki), and still provide some useful links to 'newbies'.... thinks like detailed rules probably should not be immediately off the main page, as the last thing I think we want do is confuse a person with 6 pages of techno-speak. I think a brief description of how a simple game works (including basic hit-taking concepts)... from there we can link right into the full on manual for when people are ready to rules lawyer.

Maybe a menu such as:
-More about game
-Media Gallery
-Realms near you
-Calendar of events
-Wiki
-Members (which hovers over into a submenu)
--Book of War
--Forums

I think it is important to have some sort of map that demonstrates where realms are, perhaps with multiple ways to access the information (ie: map, OR listing by state OR zip code entry that sorts realms into distance from you), as well as a link to the wiki: how to start a realm, if the closest realm is too far. And on that note... the starting realm wiki page should by far be the most amazing page we have in the wiki... :)

I believe a calendar of events is also important, the key is that unlike the last calendar attempt, it should not include realm practices, but true mini-events or major events. Perhaps the calendar could sort east/west, or have it tied to the map such that you can search for any events within XX miles from XX zip code?

Finally, as usergroups are the key to accessing any people near you, we need to find a way to make this extremely transparent and obvious to a new user. For example, someone that moves to my area will not understand the need to join the Talinor group.... and even if they understand they need to join a group, just joining a group called 'Realm: Talinor' isn't sufficient. At least now we have an identifier at front (unit/realm/misc), but perhaps more? 'Realm: Talinor - Bremerton, WA' I don't know...

I'm trying to brainstorm... I'm not sure how plausible some of this stuff is to do. Most is outside my coding abilities... some of it I know is possible, but would be a pain to code or maintain. I guess my thinking is the website needs to facilitate recruiting & retention... retention through communication (ie: boards) and recruiting by demonstrating how awesome we are (well written, SHORT text, photos, vids etc.). Simple and sweet, less is more, and super-simple uncomplicated navigation.

I'm rambling... I'll stop.

-bort
ImageImageImage
Bortas
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 1995
Realm: Washington Wash ing ton
Unit: GELF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Crafty

Return to Web Design