what is with this filter?

Webpage and Web Board Stuff

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

what is with this filter?

Postby Ricket » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:31 pm

I saw the thread about the filter but it looked like it hadn't been really decided whether or not to have one and suddenly we do. I guess I missed the discussion but, are we serious with this? Are we that hypocritical? Censorship is a horrible thing. Who are we protecting? It's SO ridiculous. Did you know that the filter won't let me type the word n i g g e r. It replaces it with the word "black." Really people? Really?
Ricket
Brute
Brute

Postby Sir Cairbre » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:29 am

The administrators are just playing around & learning, getting use to advanced functionality on the ACP. It is not a scheduled permanent modification to the board.
-Sir Cairbre Madøg
Sir Cairbre
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 1997
Realm: FightColumbus
Unit: Uruk-hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Round Shield and Short Sword.

Postby Xooyan » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:05 am

SirMADOG wrote:The administrators are just playing around & learning, getting use to advanced functionality on the ACP. It is not a scheduled permanent modification to the board.

If it's not permanent, what is the time frame for having learned enough "advanced functionality" for the filter to go away?

Seriously, this just sounds like a poorly phrased dodge.
Xooyan of Andredesweald
Genetically Enhanced Life Form and proud of it
Xooyan

Postby Sir Cairbre » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:38 am

Xooyan wrote:Seriously, this just sounds like a poorly phrased dodge.

Sounds like someone is grumpy, and wants to be satisfied right now.

Honestly:

Kyrian
Gorlock
Mick
Ora
Enoch
Derian
Bortas
Winfang
Jikanta

All have the ability to turn on or off the filter. Since I did not turn on the filter, it was one of them. They must have turned it on for some reason. PhpBB2 does not track such changes and since it does not post the variable to the header I can't even track who did it through the apache logs. (note phpbb3 & fireboard do track such changes).

So I trust all of those people on that list. Tell me if you don't maybe I will remove them. But I trust that they made the modification for some good reason, most likely just trying things out, until one tells me who did or reverts it I am sure they had their reasons. And when they realize the modification they made they will turn it back or ask that I turn it back.

Please hold on and take it easy, nobody is being hurt or being made to not understand what is being said.
-Sir Cairbre Madøg
Sir Cairbre
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 1997
Realm: FightColumbus
Unit: Uruk-hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Round Shield and Short Sword.

Postby Mekoot Gorlock » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:54 am

If I knew how to turn it off I would. Can someone tell me?
Mekoot Gorlock,
Horde

Kyrian wrote:Thanks to the rain gods (that includes you, Gorlock)
Mekoot Gorlock
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 12 Mar 2003
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Blood Vally Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever kills the other person

Postby Ora » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:18 am

I couldn't find an actual on/off feature for the filter and tried to delete the list of words and some error came up (Madog, can you take a look?), but I was able to edit each of the words on the list and changed them to their original selves.

And now back to the seven words you can never say on television...

**** :eek:
Ora
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 6- 0-1995

Postby Bortas » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:59 am

I thought it had been on since this board reopened... shows what I know.

-bort
ImageImageImage
Bortas
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 1995
Realm: Washington Wash ing ton
Unit: GELF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Crafty

Re: what is with this filter?

Postby Akbar the Foul » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:31 pm

Ricket wrote:I saw the thread about the filter but it looked like it hadn't been really decided whether or not to have one and suddenly we do. I guess I missed the discussion but, are we serious with this? Are we that hypocritical? Censorship is a horrible thing. Who are we protecting? It's SO ridiculous. Did you know that the filter won't let me type the word n i g g e r. It replaces it with the word "black." Really people? Really?

I gotta be honest with you, Ricket. Of all the words you could have chosen to argue a case for, that's one of the few that would help your case the least.
Akbar the Foul
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 14 Nov 2000
Favorite Fighting Styles: gravitational fat

Postby Xooyan » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:37 pm

SirMADOG wrote:

Please hold on and take it easy, nobody is being hurt or being made to not understand what is being said.

Not grumpy at all. I've been keeping quiet about the change since I noticed it some time ago. I figured our busy web team has their hands pretty full. However, I did expect someone to state that the change had been made and why it was made considering the reaction that we had to such a change in the past.

Now that someone has mentioned it I think the community deserves a reasonable explanation. If it's just a matter of playing around and learning the system, then the situation should not be continuing.

Thank you Ora and other mods for at least trying to rectify the situation.
Xooyan of Andredesweald
Genetically Enhanced Life Form and proud of it
Xooyan

Postby Thorondor » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:55 pm

I haven't even noticed it...wow. If it's happening, just say why. Sticky it or something. For the most part a lot of us probably don't care as long as it isn't hidden.

Hiding things brings back some bad memories for some people (like me).
Uruk-Hai Serpent Breed and proud
Victory though intensity, tactics and glorious death!

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 2001
Realm: Grim Sword
Unit: Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Recurve Bow

Postby Colin » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:23 pm

Xooyan wrote:
SirMADOG wrote:

Not grumpy at all. I've been keeping quiet about the change since I noticed it some time ago. I figured our busy web team has their hands pretty full. However, I did expect someone to state that the change had been made and why it was made considering the reaction that we had to such a change in the past.

Now that someone has mentioned it I think the community deserves a reasonable explanation. If it's just a matter of playing around and learning the system, then the situation should not be continuing.

Thank you Ora and other mods for at least trying to rectify the situation.

Howbout how we were posting in a private forum trying to figure out the filter, real close to when the good boards were back up. Then we could post our findings, watch them get filtered, post more new findings, and then watch them also get filtered. Whoever was doing this was not "trying things out" they were actively trying to clean up any bad word they found. I honestly don't care if we have a filter or not, I just want changes like that made with a little bit of public discussion beforehand.
"Akbar the Foul - 1st strike anything illegal (treason) "
Colin
Little Noodly Guy
Little Noodly Guy

Unit: BOF

Postby Ricket » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:15 am

Agreed. Let's keep the discussion open. I mean, is it even POSSIBLE to argue without making racial slurs? [/u][/i]
Ricket
Brute
Brute

Return to Web Design