Necroposting

Webpage and Web Board Stuff

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Necroposting

Postby Kirethorn » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:33 pm

I know discretion should be used to determine if a thread is too old to be helpful to anyone anymore, even if your info blows everyone elses out of the water; but what is the general guide on how long a thead has to lie dormant before you shouldn't post in it?
Gone to greener meadows.
Kirethorn
Monkey
Monkey

Re: Necroposting

Postby Derian » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:53 pm

There really isn't.

If you have a question that can be posted in a thread that already exists and wasn't answered somewhere else, by all means, post in the dead thread.

If someone asked a question and the thread hasn't had any posts for a month or more, you don't need to bump the thread to answer the question; they've probably already figured it out or forgotten about it.

Also, if you're (not the OP specifically, this applies to everyone) going to post in a months dead thread to say something that's been said a million times in that thread or to say "wow cool" or some other such nonsense, a pox upon your house.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Droma » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:24 pm

What Derian said

If you find you want to put your $0.02 in go for it
House Dregoth; You mess with one of us, you mess with all of us
THATS THINKING WITH YOUR DIPSTICK JIMMY!!!!!!!!!!!

House Dregoth holy man
Droma
Droma
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 19 Jun 2003
Realm: no realm affiliation
Unit: House Dregoth

Postby Big King Jimmy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:16 am

If someone asks a question, and the thread dies, (I'd say even after 2 weeks) it might be better to PM the original poster and ask if he ever got an answer, and if he hasn't offer one.

The way I look at this is like this: threads are conversations. If you're sitting around with your friends you might ask them all a question, but no one has an answer. Now time passes, everyone is kind of milling about, having their own conversations, you wouldn't get everyone's attention (which is what posting in a thread does) and say "Hey, I think I have an answer!" you'd just walk up to him and say "hey, did you get an answer?" just like a pm.

Thinking about things like this, in terms of "how would I handle this in conversation?" usually helps me not zombie posts.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra