Word filter

Webpage and Web Board Stuff

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Word filter

Postby Big King Jimmy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:21 pm

I would like to see more serious actions takin to those violating the word filter, and heavier moderatorship of posts violating the word filter. It can be turned off, and the morals of those people who choose to leave it on shouldn't be violated.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Re: Word filter

Postby Derian » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:49 pm

I concur. If someone posts, for instance, 'f u c k', it'll get changed to '****' so the word filter picks it up.

The word filter is there so that those who don't want to read it don't have to - it's easily disabled for those who want to read it. If you have questions on how to do so, PM me and I'll be happy to help out.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Big King Jimmy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:53 pm

You know that thing that people read when they first sign up with the site? Maybe you should include information in there on how to remove the filter. I know no one reads that anyway, but it may be useful to let people know right off the bat that it can be disabled. Also, I didn't know spacing the word out doesn't bypass the filter. I almost want to turn the filter on to more easily see exactly when people bypass it.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby The Lost Celt » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:05 pm

Not a filter fan, finally bothered to turn it off after a few posts I noticed were censored, Mine was a migrated account so I never read the TOS for the new board. (wishing it showed up in main profile preferences as far as toggling it off)

Gotta give credit where it's due though, you've managed to balance a fine line.

I was honestly surprised your word filter picks up some british slang that I use, I was honestly surprised it picked up "*" (I served as an admin for a UK based mud for several years, things like that tend to rub off, and I still use "bloody" a lot) - though **** being censored and crap isn't I've always found amusing. I don't take cuss words seriously, it's all in the context it's used.

Whatever, all I'm saying is your word filter works pretty darn well, even if I don't like it - but I can turn it off and so can anyone else. I'd agree with Big Jimmy, people that intentionally go out of their way to bypass the word filter are being jerks - we can get the context. I also think it's safe to say if it's a newer member who's more sensitive or the parents of a younger player who's monitoring their communications it could potentially turn them off from the game. If it's a word I assume you haven't run across yet you add it to the list and everyone goes on their merry way, but I just wanted to say I'm impressed and thankful with your efforts overall... It ain't easy making everyone happy eh?

Keep up the good job.
Oftentimes I wonder how much better the world would be if more people drank bleach.
The Lost Celt
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2000
Realm: Pentwyvern and Rausumea
Unit: Camhalta Fianna and brothers in arms...
Favorite Fighting Styles: Glaive with short sword, S+B, daggers,

Return to Web Design