* thread locking?

Webpage and Web Board Stuff

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

* thread locking?

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:01 am

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=38307

Back again. I thought threads on the Bel boards didn't get locked? * is this ****. I can't lock my own threads. This chick shouldn't be able to either. We should be able to comment on her work and her company and all that ,just like any other poster. What gives forum gurus?
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Re: * thread locking?

Postby Galya » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:14 am

Read This.

Ora is a forum moderator. She has that ability as a part of the job, same as I do. And as both Derian and I already stated in the Moderators forum, there is nothing wrong with her locking that thread in this particular case because it has already been subject to numerous incidents of flaming. And I know that if it is unlocked, the same thing will happen again. She has just as much right to advertise her wares without fear of repercussion as anyone else on this board. So unless there is some guarantee that the VBs aren't going to pull some stupid, immature **** again, it's going to remain locked.

No offense Soo, but please quit stirring up drama and making my job more difficult.
Galya Grikhunter, former Belegarth Secretary, Horde Commander, and War Council representative.
Still an admin though, because people trust me or something. ;)
Blood Valley HoRdE: Massacring the Midwest since 2004
She/Her/Hers

Forkbeard wrote:So, you can't decide if that is Galya or Par? I have to admit, I mistake Par for an old woman regularly. But Galya is a beautiful and intelligent lady. I'd never mistake her for him.
Galya
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 13 Sep 2006
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: dah HoRdE
Favorite Fighting Styles: Board and Bat
Pronouns: She/Her

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:23 am

It says I am not authorized to read that forum. Ora should not be a forum mod, conflict of interest. Also, just because she's a forum mod., she deserves special attention. The kids who try to sell weapons and get flamed and **** on in every thread are ok, but because she's some pedo freaks girl, she get's the special attention. I have an issue with this and I am not just stirring drama. I was asking here first to see if there is some viable reason to this. Flaming is not a viable reason.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Forkbeard » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:33 am

People in the middle of disgusting pedo-sex scandal should have the decency to cease their hawking of toys in their victims neighborhood.
If, in the end, Lotek is found innocent, maybe it would be cool to start up again. But right now, it is in very,very bad taste.
Also, the changing of the name is just **** dumb.
fb.
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Galya » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:45 am

I might be wrong, but I think she was a forum mod long before she started making/selling things. I can remove that privilege though because you're right, in this case it is a conflict of interest. Even so, there is a difference between poking fun of some idiot newb selling crappy weapons and what you (read: all of the VBs and their cohorts) have been doing. This is of a much more personal and sensitive nature because it has to do with serious allegations of criminal activity. And I'm sorry, but that really doesn't need to be smeared all over the boards just because you have issues with them. I don't care what your opinions are, but it just isn't necessary.

Part of my job as Admin is keeping the peace on these forums. And part of my job as a BoD member is making sure that Belegarth as a whole keeps a good face when things like this happen. What's been going on recently goes against both. My viable reason for keeping that thread locked is because I am tired of seeing our chances of pulling in new recruits who visit these forums go down the drain with all the "oh look! we have pedophiles in our sport" crap. It is immature and unnecessary. You can have all the opinions you want. You can say what you want behind their backs, to your friends, whatever. I don't care. But keep it off the forums, please. I am trying to maintain a good image for our sport, and this is not helping.
Galya Grikhunter, former Belegarth Secretary, Horde Commander, and War Council representative.
She/Her/Hers

Forkbeard wrote:So, you can't decide if that is Galya or Par? I have to admit, I mistake Par for an old woman regularly. But Galya is a beautiful and intelligent lady. I'd never mistake her for him.
Galya
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Galya » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:45 am

Forkbeard wrote:People in the middle of disgusting pedo-sex scandal should have the decency to cease their hawking of toys in their victims neighborhood.
If, in the end, Lotek is found innocent, maybe it would be cool to start up again. But right now, it is in very,very bad taste.
Also, the changing of the name is just **** dumb.
fb.

Didn't see this before I posted.

FB, you have a point. I agree. But I'm not going to ban someone based on their husband's allegations. Innocent until proven guilty, last I checked.
She/Her/Hers

Galya
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:01 am

I believe Ora being a mod on here, at least for now, is a conflict and she should be removed until such a time as the case with her husband is finished. Is that something that needs to go through WC, or something that is taken care of through the Mods? I can bring it up in WC if that is the proper course of action. honestly I don't know how the Mods work though.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Zwei ap Owen » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:06 pm

Soo Ma Tai wrote:I believe Ora being a mod on here, at least for now, is a conflict and she should be removed until such a time as the case with her husband is finished. Is that something that needs to go through WC, or something that is taken care of through the Mods? I can bring it up in WC if that is the proper course of action. honestly I don't know how the Mods work though.

Seconded. Even all the * aside, there's a clear conflict of interest when a mod is using their admin powers to help sell their own goods. I don't agree with your assessment, Galya, that the difference between Ora's threads and those of idiot kids selling crappy goods is really a difference in kind. The issue here is whether or not the Belegarth public is allowed to express their opinions on potential transactions, not what the content or motivation of those opinions may be. Just like in the real world where people are allowed to protest companies for either having a **** product or a **** social record, so too should Belegrim be allowed to makes objections to threads in B,S,T.

In one sense, B,S,T is the most consequential forum on the boards, because it's the only one that has real world implications through the movement of goods and money. In a way, purchasing goods from someone can be seen as an implicit approval of the other aspects of that person's lifestyle, since it's though the money you give them that they are able to support and themselves and carry out their potentially objectionable activities. It's (ostensibly) part of the reason governments level trade sanctions against rogue nations, or why protesters boycott places like Wal-Mart, or whatever. Maybe this thing with Ora and her husband is small-scale in comparison, but the principle still holds: consumers have a right to know what kinds of things their money may be supporting. Simply sweeping all that under the rug and allowing Ora to abuse her administrative powers may be the easiest thing to do, but it's contrary to both fair practice and potentially our consciences.
His Grace Sir Zwei ap Owen Liberator Domus Wyndhavinis
Arch Episcopus Venedotiae Dei Gratia
Dominus Meridiani Marchium
Miles Ordinis S. Mycaelis et S. Gorgii
Viking Illigetimus
Camhalta Fiannae
Lepidissimus Vir
Zwei ap Owen
Hero
Hero

Realm: Gwynedd
Favorite Fighting Styles: Excommunication

Postby Blackhawk » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:04 pm

* Owen, who knew you could be eloquent?

Speed does not equal intense. Realistic, brutal, savage, simulated dark age combat is intense. You want speed, go run track!!

Making stick jocks look good since 1982
Vice President - Dagorhir Battle Game Association, Inc.
Blackhawk
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 06 Mar 1982
Realm: For Hire
Unit: Apollyons
Favorite Fighting Styles: S/B

Postby varadin » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:20 pm

thats not owen, thats zwei
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby Akbar the Foul » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:31 pm

People have a right to know where and who their money would be going to.
Akbar the Foul
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 14 Nov 2000
Favorite Fighting Styles: gravitational fat

Postby Forkbeard » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:49 pm

No ****.
*, Zwie, way to throw down the logic.
**** bad * kung fu style.
fb
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:53 pm

So...removing Ora as a mod? War Council or is it going to be taken care of through the board Mods? Just need to know so I know what to do.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Sir Par » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:00 pm

I agree with you in pricipal guys. I think that people should have the right to comment on the quality of material posted in the BST forum. However, with other forums, it gets sticky if we have a lot of crazy flaming and whatnot and Lotek turns out be innocent. Ora's mod powers SHOULD be taken away. As far as I understand that is at the discretion of the Web Master, and I will call Derian and ask to have it taken away until the stuff with Lotek is over. After we have a chance to talk at Geddon I will open up a thread in General Mayhem to discuss the issue both specifically with Lotek, and in general about what our sport should do to stop this kind of behavior from finding its way in. Thank you Zwei for your well worded response. This IS a discussion we need to have, just in the right place, at the right time.
16th Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Brotherhood of the Falcon
Order of the Gilded Owl
Go Team 4!
Member of the Church of Daraith
Humility: Its pretty much the only thing I'm NOT good at.
Derian wrote:Well, ****. Par is right.
Sir Par
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Aug 2004
Realm: Rath
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Sheild
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:46 pm

Thanks Par- Then I would ask that she (Sinister moon) not be allowed to hawk her wares here as well until it has been discussed by the community as a whole. Obviously there are people who are not OK with her selling her wares here, and until such a time as the issues with Lotek are made clear, she should not be posting her stuff here with immunity to the repercussions of doing so.

Also the Webmaster has oversite from the WC, so if Derian doesn't want to remove Ora as a mod, it can still be brought up to WC if I am not mistaken, correct? Not that I think Derian wouldn't, but we, as WC, could force it if we though that was necessary, right?
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ora » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:00 pm

I'll save you the trouble. I've removed my ad. Remove me as a mod.
Ora
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 6- 0-1995

Postby Ora » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:01 pm

I'll save you the trouble. I've removed my ad. Remove me as a mod.
Ora
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 6- 0-1995

Postby Derian » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:59 pm

Ora has been removed as a moderator.

Soo, in answer to your question, there really isn't a set policy for who is or isn't a mod on the boards. It's up to the webmaster at the time. I sort of grandfathered in everyone who was previously a moderator when I took over as this is what other webmasters had done.

That said, you're definitely correct. The webmaster is subject to both the President and (ultimately) the War Council, so if there's anything that I (or any webmaster, for that matter) isn't doing or is refusing to do, the President and/or War Council can easily override that.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Zwei ap Owen » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:03 pm

Blackhawk wrote:* Owen, who knew you could be eloquent?

Varadin wrote:thats not owen, thats zwei

Yeah, what he said. Owen's my pappy.

Sir Par wrote: Thank you Zwei for your well worded response.

No problem. I, uh, live to serve, or whatever.
His Grace Sir Zwei ap Owen Liberator Domus Wyndhavinis
Arch Episcopus Venedotiae Dei Gratia
Dominus Meridiani Marchium
Miles Ordinis S. Mycaelis et S. Gorgii
Viking Illigetimus
Camhalta Fiannae
Lepidissimus Vir
Zwei ap Owen
Hero
Hero

Realm: Gwynedd
Favorite Fighting Styles: Excommunication

Postby Blackhawk » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:28 pm

Zwei ap Owen wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:* Owen, who knew you could be eloquent?

Varadin wrote:thats not owen, thats zwei

Yeah, what he said. Owen's my pappy.

Sir Par wrote: Thank you Zwei for your well worded response.

No problem. I, uh, live to serve, or whatever.

Sorry bout that. I get confused easily, especially since I was chilling with Owen last weekend at Schatt wars. On a side note, if you ever hear him complain about a guy shield checking him off a 30' cliff.... that was me.

Speed does not equal intense. Realistic, brutal, savage, simulated dark age combat is intense. You want speed, go run track!!

Making stick jocks look good since 1982
Vice President - Dagorhir Battle Game Association, Inc.
Blackhawk
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 06 Mar 1982
Realm: For Hire
Unit: Apollyons
Favorite Fighting Styles: S/B

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:48 am

Thanks Derian for the work and for the info. Def. good to know if it's necessary in the future.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Return to Web Design