SSL, webhosting and the like

Webpage and Web Board Stuff

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

SSL, webhosting and the like

Postby Jcollins » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:36 pm

Derian,

I'm a godaddy.com reseller, I have a turbo SSL from godaddy (256bit) that I'm literally not using at all. I'll check to see if I can key and generate a CSR if you'd like for Belegarth.com

Also, I have the deluxe hosting plan (linux) as well as a 100gig online file folder so if you need web hosting or files to be hosting drop me a line Id be happy to help and set you up with full FTP access or whatever you need.

-Jeremie
Squire Thorpe Nemoralis
Jcollins
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 15 Apr 1993
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Sol Invictus
Favorite Fighting Styles: 28" shield and Short Sword

Re: SSL, webhosting and the like

Postby Derian » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:14 pm

Thanks. I appreciate the offer.

That said, we really don't have a need for SSL at all. I've considered it, but it just doesn't make sense.

Also, I'm a Linux Engineer for Rackspace, so we're totally cool on hosting. Since it looks like you might know some Linux, you might enjoy knowing a bit more about what we're running. We're curently running on a dedicated VM (based on OpenStack now, I believe -- if not now, then very soon). nginx handles HTTP requests and serves all static content. Dynamic content (PHP, mostly) is reverse proxied back to to a PHP-FPM daemon and a local MySQL instance.

The entirety of the site is actually pretty small. The biggest portion is by far the Wiki, which comes in at just under 2GB all inclusive. belegarth.com itself is about 200MB, while the board is just over 500MB.

If we ever grow significantly beyond this or if things start to slow down in a way such that horizontal scaling isn't as efficient as it should be, I can easily start pushing static content out to a CDN which would take a large chunk of load off of the server (well, servers at that point).

This is pretty rad for us as I have 100% control and don't have to worry about any of the potential issues that stem from a shared hosting environment. There are no other customers on my server running ancient WordPress blogs that will get hacked at the drop of a hat, no one spamming out of my MTA or anything along those lines.

Additionally, I can very easily add in pretty much full HA capabilities at any time for no cost, which is pretty slick.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Re: SSL, webhosting and the like

Postby Jcollins » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:07 pm

I work * Godaddy and am in Server support...both shared and dedicated. let me tell you how much I HATE wordpress..and then when a theme gets corrupted via a css style sheet issue or just an outdated or broken theme and getting calls about why Godaddy is breaking their website and why its down etc etc etc.

my hosting is shared hosting currently..I dont have anything I'd even consider moving to a dedicated or virtually dedicated hosting. I mean, I'd love to be able to have an excuse for one haha..but the truth is there is little to no reason for me to even mess with it. Most of my online file folder is movies or music. the only thing worth a * on my hosting is I'm working on a foam fighting combat page that has all the Amt, Bel and Dag videos I can find either going to upload em or just use embed links in Joomla.
Squire Thorpe Nemoralis
Jcollins
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 15 Apr 1993
Unit: Sol Invictus
Favorite Fighting Styles: 28" shield and Short Sword

Return to Web Design