3.7.4.1 Legged Movement

Topics For Experienced Members

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

3.7.4.1 Legged Movement

Postby Akroth » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:36 am

Stygia motions the following change to 3.7.4.1

CURRENT RULE:
3.7.2.4.1. A combatant who has their leg disabled must either crawl on their knees or be clearly supported by others when moving.
3.7.2.4.2. A disabled leg may not be used to power movement, but a combatant may move in any way that they are capable of moving without power from the disabled leg.

PROPOSED RULE:
3.7.2.4.1 A combatant who has their leg disabled may either shuffle on the knees or move in any way that doesn’t involve weight on the foot of the disabled leg.
3.7.2.4.2 Knee shuffling is defined as moving on the knees such that one knee is on the ground at all times.
3.7.2.4.2.1 Examples of legal non-shuffling movements include crawling, rolling, lunging from the non-injured leg, or being clearly supported by others.
3.7.2.4.2.2 Examples of illegal movement include duck walking or lunging off the injured leg.

I voted in favor of this motion since it's closer to how we actually play the game compared to the current rule, however I find it excessively long for what it needs to accomplish. I'm not clear on why so much detail is required here in terms of examples. What does the rule above do that something like this wouldn't solve?

3.7.2.4.1 A combatant who has their leg disabled may move in any way that doesn’t involve weight on the foot of the disabled leg.
3.7.2.4.2 A combatant who has their leg disabled may not lunge using power from the disabled leg.
3.7.2.4.3. Unless a combatant has their disabled knee on the ground and their non-disabled knee off the ground, a strike to either leg is considered to have hit the non-disabled leg.

ALSO -

Knee shuffling is defined as moving on the knees such that one knee is on the ground at all times.
- Does this mean that I can't have both knees in contact with the ground when knee shuffling? I assume that wasn't the intent, however it's not clear whether it wants a minimum of one knee, or exactly one knee.
Ranting about the BoW so you don't have to.
More rants here: http://board.belegarth.com/viewforum.php?f=66
Akroth
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 19 Apr 2009
Realm: Thunder Guard
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, spear

Re: 3.7.4.1 Legged Movement

Postby Orokusan » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:23 pm

If you are to knee shuffle, one leg must be in contact. If you have two legs in contact, one is definitely in contact. If you run the phrase "One knee the ground at all times" with one or two knees, you'll see it passes on both. That's how I read it.
Sir Oroku Norinaga, KBMC, OGO
Tertiary Knight of the High Code
"You do not have to be a squire to start learning to be a knight. Take your time and make good decisions."-Uric
Orokusan
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 18 May 2005
Realm: Sygia
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery, Florentine, Spear

Return to Rules Discussion And Development