Grappling Definition

Topics For Experienced Members

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Grappling Definition

Postby Kyrax » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:00 pm

3.6. Grappling is allowed.
3.6.1. Combatants may initiate Grapples with opponents according to the following rules.
3.6.1.1. A Combatant wearing no Armor may Grapple all opponents.
3.6.1.2. A Combatant wearing Leather Armor may Grapple any Armored opponent, but not unarmored opponents.
3.6.1.3. A Combatant wearing Chain Armor may Grapple opponents wearing Chain or Plate Armor.
3.6.1.4. A Combatant wearing plate Armor may not initiate a Grapple.
3.6.2. A Combatant wearing plastic safety equipment is treated as leather Armor for grappling purposes only.
3.6.3. No throws, unarmed strikes, or joint/nerve holds.
3.6.4. Combatants with Missile Weapons (Type 4, bow/arrows) may not initiate Grapples or be Grappled.

Above are all of the BOW rules on Grappling. Below are comments in the War Council forum by veterans who should know the rules. These are excerpts from the "Archers and Blocking Shots" discussion thread.

Forkbeard wrote:I feel that grabbing other peoples weapons is a part of grapling.

Xooyan wrote:I tend to agree with Forkbeard. Grabbing an opponent's weapon is grappling,

I am posting this here as I have never heard someone define grabbing an opponent's weapon haft as grappling, but haven't been on a Belegarth field outside of Pelargir.

So I toss the question out to the rules gurus here - is grabbing a weapon shaft or haft grappling or not? I am NOT asking about grabbing the weapon as a prelude to pulling the person in to grab control of their body or limbs - I know grabbing the person is grappling (and in my mind is the definition of grappling).

What are your thoughts or opinions on this question?
Come to a California event, we only bite when we're Zombies!

Ignore Kyrax, he's old and slow.
Kyrax
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 30 May 1987
Realm: Pelargir-Mallenorod
Unit: Brotherhood of Mithris
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery

Postby Snotbelly » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:24 pm

Yes this is grappling, and should follow the same standards. That is my opinion. I wearing armor would not grab the haft of a spear, or the handle of a flail if the wielder was not wearing armor, safety becomes an issue the instant hand to hand struggle begins.
-=Dark Angel=-
Dur-Demarion Icon
"Never rub another man's rhubarb."
Snotbelly
King Shit Of The World

Started Fighting: 23 May 1996
Realm: Dur-Demarion
Unit: Dark Angels
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery, Spear, Ball and Wall, Red Sword

Postby Angmarth » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:57 am

Grabbing a weapon has never been counted as grappling. Whether SB does it or not, there are tons of us who do. Grabbing gear/equipment should not be considered grappling (since the precident is that it does not), and it would change the game if it were. Grabbing an individual is a grapple, not struggling over something. If this were grappling, then any time an armored opponent and an unarmored opponent grabbed something at relatively the same time, the armored opponent would just have to take death. Why you ask? Because at that point he would have to release the item, giving to the unarmored opponent and then have no options other than try to run away or just get killed. I know for one that I find that very unappealling.
Sir Angmarth, High King of Arnor
Knight of Numenor
aka Mike Hockaday
Angmarth
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 01 Mar 1998
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Moredain
Favorite Fighting Styles: Crushing my opponent until they relent.

Postby Snotbelly » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:11 pm

You make a very logical point Angmarth. Your reasoning is sound. Maybe a slight addendum of "common sense" would clear everything up?
-=Dark Angel=-
Dur-Demarion Icon
"Never rub another man's rhubarb."
Snotbelly
King Shit Of The World

Started Fighting: 23 May 1996
Realm: Dur-Demarion
Unit: Dark Angels
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery, Spear, Ball and Wall, Red Sword

Postby Obryn » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:49 pm

I fight in bridge battles all the time and never wear armor.

While I love how much more effective this would make me and my spear, it would be cheesy.

I see nothing inherently unsafe about someone wearing armor grabbing my spear. I can't see how they or I would get hurt in this circumstance.

-O
Keeper Obryn Stoneshield
Chaplain - Brotherhood of the Falcon
Obryn
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Mawr » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:47 pm

Unless the weapon is cybernetically grafted to one's body, I fail to see how that could be considered grappling.
"I guess what I'm trying to say is, the creationist booklet was to religious literature what tubgirl is to pictures of people having sex." -- Aria
Mawr
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Return to Rules Discussion And Development