Shield boom?

Topics For Experienced Members

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Shield boom?

Postby Sir Cairbre » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:58 pm

ok First time in 8 complete years I have ever thought about it...

Fighting a buddy I take his shield arm. He is dropping the strap shield and I hit the strap shield while it is still on his dead arm...

He's dead correct?
Sir Cairbre
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 1997
Realm: FightColumbus
Unit: Uruk-hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Round Shield and Short Sword.

Postby Beorn Tordensjold » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:14 pm

Sounds like it to me.
Viking bastards: We're not laughing with you.

Proud owner of one Tor point. So far.

Beorn, Ravensmoon Replicas
http://ravensmoon.com
Beorn Tordensjold
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Freyson » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:37 pm

If it was the arm which was lost and the shield is still intact then here are the applicable rules:

3.4.2. All Injury effects must be accurately portrayed and reported.

3.4.2.2. Disabled Arm -- A disabled Arm may not hold anything. If the Arm is disabled by a Class 1 or 2 Weapon then place Arm behind back. If the Arm is disabled by a Class 3 or 4 Weapon, leave Arm dangling limply at side.

3.5.2. Shields may be used in any reasonable manner and still be considered a Shield.

He is not dead. He isn't even hit. The shield did not magically disappear when the arm was hit. Think of it as if the shield was leaning against him, it is still a shield. The guy should be trying to get the shield off his arm, but this is not always as easy with a strap shield as with a punch shield. The moment that arm does anything other than dangle he is dead! It is not always possible to drop and put the arm behind instantly, but it is possible to portray the wound by turning that shield into dead weight on a useless arm. As soon as the fighter is able, say within the next 5-10 seconds, that shield needs to be removed and the arm behind the back. A shield strapped for a few seconds to a useless arm is reasonable, a shield strapped to a useless arm while moving the arm or even walking around is not.

This is totally different than hits to a destroyed shield. A shield which has been destroyed no longer offers any protection at all. If not dropped, a destroyed shield will transfer hits to the arm then torso. In this case the shield no longer exists, in Madog's example the shield still exists but cannot be controlled.
Freyson
Barbarian
Barbarian

Return to Rules Discussion And Development