Javelins and broken noses

Topics For Experienced Members

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Javelins and broken noses

Postby Dr. Kazi » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:04 pm

I've been fighting a little over 5 years now, and I've seen or heard of three noses being broken by javelins.

My question is, do people feel this is an acceptable risk in fighting, or do we want to take steps to prevent it?

As things stand, head shots are legal javelin targets, but everyone who fights knows that being beaming in the face by one sucks. It is my opinion that the average javelin passed at a national event has enough mass to break a nose, and not enough padding to prevent it. That being said, a broken nose is only a broken nose. Is it worth changing the rules?

Potential ways to reduce the risk would be a) lowering the maximum weight on javelins b) encouraging marshals to enforce stricter padding requirements or c) making javelins non headshot legal.

I havn't decided whether I feel the risk is too great or not, but someone in my realm just had their nose straight busted by a javelin and I was just wondering what people thought.
Dr. Kazi
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Forkbeard » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:16 pm

Hell no, this isn't nessacary. THe rules are fine. Javlins are fine. Head shots are the funnest part of the game. People who don't like it should get helmets. They aren't that expensive. And the look cool as hell.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Oisin » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:52 pm

For the record, three injuries caused by a weapon type in five years is a pretty * good record. Noses broken by javs were probably caused by a jav that shouldn't have passed weapons check.
Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Theros the Large » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:39 pm

The javelin that busted my nose was VERY poorly made and should not have been on the field.

I have taken good javelins to the face since then and have no problem with keeping them head legal.

There are a number items that one could wear if they wished to keep their face from harm from leather helms to modern padded headgear like Spazzzz has taken to wearing lately.
Theros the Large
House Hellhammer
Squire to Sir Killian
Master of House Buffet
Rancor Keeper
Theros the Large
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2000

Postby Forkbeard » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:30 pm

Y'all should get that kid a helmet. His modern headgear looks stupid on the feild. I fully understand why he wears it, I just think some time could be spent this winter to get him something more field appropriate.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Kenneth » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:22 am

I'll be the one to revive this thread.

Most people throwing javelins do not know the following set of rules. I admit, I didn't know them either for quite some time.

1.1.8. Javelin ? Thrown Class 4 Weapon.
3.8.2. A half draw or throw for Class 4 Weapons under a range of 15 feet is required.

When I started watching for it, I constantly saw people cranking back with their javelins and nailing people in the face. I try my best now to enforce this rule at national events. Breaking this rule may be the cause of at least some of the broken noses.
Kenneth
Thug
Thug

Postby slippy » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:01 am

yeah cranking sucks i only apply enough force to get it to my target i may get more misses this way but is safer and more fun. same with rocks
do not hate those who kill you or feel less of those who you kill.
feeling proud is not as important as having friends around you.
the farther you fly the more fun you're haveing.
slippy
Toadie
Toadie

Return to Rules Discussion And Development