Rocks

Topics For Experienced Members

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Rocks

Postby Kenneth » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:45 pm

No, this is not what you're thinking.

Whenever I make a rules call, I always go back to the Book of War to ensure I am correct. It is part of my continuing education. I tossed a rock off the field at SpringWars. I do not know who owned it.

The rock in question was essentially shaped like a frisbee or a flying saucer. It was longer than four inches in two dimensions, but the third dimension was probably only two inches at most.

The relevant rule is:
1.4.9. Class 5 Weapons have a minimum diameter of 4 inches and are constructed entirely of foam, cloth and tape (coreless).

There are a few ways to view this rule. I have always interpreted the rule as requiring four inches along every axis. However, diameter presumes a line passing through a circle, which is a two dimensional object. It is possible to interpret the rules to require *a* minimum diameter of 4 inches. i.e. have a singular diameter of 4 inches.

Practically speaking, if somebody came up with a rock that was 16 inches all around, but only 3 inches high, should I fail it? If so, under what rule? 16x3 inches is a pretty big rock. I'm a little curious what somebody thinks about a 40x40x3 rock. Technically speaking, I'm sure that big beanbag rock deforms to less than 4 inches along one axis.....

If not, is there a limit to how thin a rock can be? Can we make Frisbee rocks?

Any thoughts? To the best of my knowledge, the standard interpretation has been four inches in every direction. It seems there is no easy answer either way. If you allow the bean bag chair, then you have to allow the frisbee rock. The idea of a relatively aerodynamic rock bothers me.
Kenneth
Thug
Thug

Postby Black Cat » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:27 am

No frisbee rocks = no ninja throwing weapons

Where is the fun in that?

I do believe that there should be a limit on how thin the rock could be on the third axis, but it should not be 4". I think that the minimum dimension on a rock should be 4x4x2, meaning that it is a minimum of 4" inches in diameter and 2" thick.

Another possiblility is that a larger diameter (such as 6-7") would be required for rocks smaller than 4" on the third axis.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Postby Angmarth » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:29 am

I think the easiest (and proper) solution would be to add this clarification:

1.4.9. Class 5 Weapons have a minimum diameter of 4 inches on any axis and are constructed entirely of foam, cloth and tape (coreless).
Sir Angmarth, High King of Arnor
Knight of Numenor
aka Mike Hockaday
Angmarth
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 01 Mar 1998
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Moredain
Favorite Fighting Styles: Crushing my opponent until they relent.

Postby xiao » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:34 am

Angmarth wrote:I think the easiest (and proper) solution would be to add this clarification:

1.4.9. Class 5 Weapons have a minimum diameter of 4 inches on any axis and are constructed entirely of foam, cloth and tape (coreless).

Agreed.
xiao
SLAYER

Postby bo1 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:36 pm

yep 4" in any direction fixes it.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Koom Di' Puts » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:26 pm

you could actually fail the frisbie rock ( yes I said fail and rock in the same statement) for safety... That thin of a rock fits right into the eye socket... That is what has kept me from making them.
Koom Di' Puts
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 17 Sep 2000
Realm: Dur D
Unit: Secret
Favorite Fighting Styles: Koom

Postby Black Cat » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:26 pm

That's why I put that I think that the minimum thickness on a frisbee rock should be 2". Now that you mention it though, 2-1/2" (the minimum diameter of a sword tip or arrow) or 3" (the rounded-up average diameter of the end of a passing arrow) would be a better minimum. 4" on the third axis though seems to be a bit much and will make constructing frisbee rocks difficult, if not impossible.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:19 am

I was annoyed to get hit by that rock, so I felt good when Kenneth (who was marshalling at the time) pulled it off the field. In my opinion, a minimum rock size of a 4" diameter sphere would be fine, and it's the standard used in another, similar game I play.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Return to Rules Discussion And Development