Simultaneous Florentine Strikes

Topics For Experienced Members

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Simultaneous Florentine Strikes

Postby Oisin » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:54 pm

So this came up at practice today--player A hits player B in the back simultaneously with two blue swords. Player B is wearing torso armor that was undamaged, and player A calls two or something similar when he hits. Player B acknowledges that both swords hit, but asserts that because they were swung simultaneously, it only counts as one strike.

Does this count as both hits, aka armor and death? I see no clause in the Book of War that would suggest otherwise, and it's not a local house rule, at least none I've ever heard of (and I've fought in the same realm almost two years now).
Oisín Leathshúileach ua Duibhne
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

An Fhírinne in aghaidh an tSaoil--Truth against the world.
Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Cyric » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:47 pm

Usually the two hits have to be staggered so that the person can register them as two separate hits. Had the person not seen the two hits, it would have been ok to call armor. but if you see that it's two swords and you know that both hit, you should be dead.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Postby Enoch » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:20 pm

Player B should be dead, however, player A should have probably yelled "two or something similar" twice (one for each sword).
M.F. Enoch & Co.
Enoch
Brute
Brute

Postby Sir Par » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:42 pm

stating "two blues" is good enough for me.
16th Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Brotherhood of the Falcon
Order of the Gilded Owl
Go Team 4!
Member of the Church of Daraith
Humility: Its pretty much the only thing I'm NOT good at.
Derian wrote:Well, ****. Par is right.
Sir Par
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Aug 2004
Realm: Rath
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Sheild
Pronouns: He/Him

hits

Postby Satanaka » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:28 pm

I was just reading this- I want to sorta re-ask- in that- up untill xxx time- I thought we had always said that two hits that hit the same area at one time- would only be counted as one impact.

Of course I did not "detailed" look throught the rules. BUT- I was almost sure that in the past we had done that due to the ability of armour to absorb impact- and not "to be destroyed"... Does that make sense?

Also- I remember at War Council- a few billions years ago- we had this as a debate. another thing that came up was the ability of someone weilding to actaul swords and being able to deliver deadly enough hits.

Now I know we have people that could do it- BUT for the most part- it would not be a common things.

So- Has the general rule changed? or Was it more of a common sense thing that was just never adopted?

Thanks for your help.
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 12 May 1992
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Right side of the Sword

Postby Olos » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:47 pm

I'm not sure, but I do know that out in Arnor, where I assume this happened, there is now (don't know if it was added before or after this incidence) a house rule stating that 2 strikes at the same time (even if at different target areas) do not count.

However, I am not sure about the rule on a national scale. I would assume that if both are of sufficient force, both would count.

Personally, I don't agree with the different target areas thing. And really, if they both hit hard enough, I'd personally take the death. So, with that, and the fact that I don't fluorentine at Arnor much, this doesn't affect my playing much :D
Brother of the Black Company!
Resident Dwelf.

HEIL o/

GOD WILLS IT!
Olos
Berserker
Berserker

Postby savetuba » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:20 pm

Olos wrote:a house rule stating that 2 strikes at the same time (even if at different target areas) do not count.

Makes a person wonder what happens when two people hit one person at the same time. Drr those hits didn't count. :P

For the sake of ease, two hits to one area in rapid succession can be hard to differentiate and thus someone would have a hard time knowing if it was one or two hits. However, two hits to different areas should be acceptable.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Postby debuenzo » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:05 am

two strikes would result in two hits if they are sufficient

the person striking could say "blue, blue"

i dont see the reasoning behind denying one shot because of the time it landed
Brother of the Black Company
debuenzo
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 30 Aug 2003
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and shield

Postby Davit » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:31 am

If someone does not know that 2 shots landed, aka they have been hit in almost the same spot at the same time, then why would they take 2 shots, regardless of what is said. Just because someone is yelling "GREEN GREEN GREEN GREEN" over and over again does not mean that they have hit anything.

Therefore, while if someone hit me where I could see with two weapons at the same time, I would take appropriate hits, however if all my body recognizes is one hit (at a spot that I cannot see) that is all that I can take.

So try when you can to put a bit of space between the time of your shots because someone will feel 2 distinct hits, and surprise, take them.
House Hellhammer
Defender of the Stein
The Psycho with the Flail
Knight of Wolfpack
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."- Confucius
Davit
Double Post Eradicator

House Rules

Postby Angmarth » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:36 am

We ruled on the simultaneous strikes for playability reasons. That said, I just clarified the original ruling for better wording.
Sir Angmarth, High King of Arnor
Knight of Numenor
aka Mike Hockaday
Angmarth
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 01 Mar 1998
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Moredain
Favorite Fighting Styles: Crushing my opponent until they relent.

Return to Rules Discussion And Development