House Rules

Topics For Experienced Members

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

House Rules

Postby Angmarth » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:40 am

I thought it might be interesting to see what "House Rules" groups are using around the country. If you have special rules, can you post them here for everyone to see?

1- Rocks are BANNED in Arnor. They cannot be used save for in special battles which will be determined before hand

2- Stabbing of limbs counts towards death. For example if your Leg is pierced and arm chopped off, as opposed to the national rule, you are dead.

3- Fighters who are deemed "regulars" are expected to wear garb when coming to the field and who wish to participate in fighting. If they are not in appropriate garb then they shall only be allowed to fight with a single blue weapon (IE one handed sword, mace, axe, etc)

4- Unless other wise noted missile weapons are NOT re-usable
4.5- If a missile weapon is being carried by someone and is not used though the carrier dies, the missiles he was carrying die with him (IE, Puck is carrying two arrows but before he can fire them off Fion kills him, Pucks arrows effectively die with him and cannot be used)

5- A single and solid red hit to a coreless shield breaks the shield. A shield WITH a core still takes two hits to break from a red weapon

6- Fighters under the age of 16 are not allowed to grapple, shield rush, shield bash, shield punch, etc. ALSO They cannot BE grappled, shield rushed, shield bashed, shield punched, etc.

7- requirement for stabbing tip is much easier to pass than in most other realms and the national field. Arnor allows ALL Edhellen blades to be stabbing by default.

8) The Book of War states you may not have modern prints on garb. If you are not sure if the print you want to use is modern, please ask before making something you can't wear. In Arnor, we extend this rule to shields and swords. In mundane terms, this means no "Scooby Doo" shields or "smiley face" sword covers. Modern prints make garb look poor and have a comic effect. This detracts from the atmosphere and the image we are trying to project. If you have something that falls in this catagory, we will help you fix your problem. (Angmarth and the Knight's Councel are not tyrants [despite the rumors] and everyone who has something in violation will be given a reasonable amount of time to fix it.)

9) Successive strikes from a single opponent must register separately for playability reasons. If you simultaneously strike an opponent with 2 one-handed weapons, it will only count as a single hit. (This is always at discretion the person who is struck. It is possible for the person to see and register both blows.)

10) You may initiate a grapple with a like armored opponent. "Like armored" refers to the areas covered, not the type of armor. There are 3 locations for this rule. Extremities, body and head. If you have greaves or bracers, you may initiate a grapple with anyone wearing greaves or bracers in any combination. If you are wearing body armor, you may initiate a grapple with anyone in body armor. If you are wearing a helm, you may only initiate a grapple with an opponent whose body/extremity armor matches yours and is wearing a helm. A lesser armored person may always initiate a grapple with someone who has greater armor. Body > Extremity for this instance. EX: If you are wearing a bracer and a greave, you may initiate a grapple with an opponent wearing only leather body armor.
Sir Angmarth, High King of Arnor
Knight of Numenor
aka Mike Hockaday
Angmarth
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 01 Mar 1998
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Moredain
Favorite Fighting Styles: Crushing my opponent until they relent.

Postby Derian » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:50 am

A lot of those do seem very practical and make a lot of sense. I particularly like the modern prints rule.

NB doesn't have any major house rules. I think most people here see local fighting as practice for national events and that it doesn't make much sense to deviate from the national rules.

If anything, we're lax on the weight minimums, but again, most/all of our fighters who build weapons also attend national events and build their weapons according to those standards.

We also do not require garb during practices most of the time. Our fighting location is indoors during the school year, and we share the space will quite a few other groups. In addition, our practices take place in the late evening and there are a number of people who are just getting off work.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Mercer » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:50 pm

Personally, I like all these rules... kind of a "patch" to the BoW.
Mercer
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 May 1993
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Lonely *
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword-and-Board, Two-Hander

Postby Cyric » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:33 pm

Numenor-

Rocks are banned.

No reusable missile weapons.

People must wear garb, otherwise they can only use a blue and a shield or two blues.

No modern prints on gear.

Wolfpack-

Red Rocks- A big rock. Must be carried and thrown with both hands (no other weapons). Can only be carried 5 steps, then has to be thrown or dropped. Delivers a red hit to whatever it hits.

Red Flails- A long flail with certain head dimensions that can deliver shield breaking hits, must be swung 2 handed.

When the lights in the park we fight in come on, we pull missle weapons from the field.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:07 pm

What is the logic behind these rock bans? Were there problems or do realm members just not like rocks?
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Postby Sir Par » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:39 pm

We usually suspend peeps from practice who have not paid dues or signed appropriate safety waivers after 3 weeks.

We don't allow the bashing or checking of archers.

Whenever we get a great surge of newbs, we istitute a "Head shot" Rule. If you deliver a headshot, wether or not it was intentional, you die. It really helps with newbs learning control.
16th Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Brotherhood of the Falcon
Order of the Gilded Owl
Go Team 4!
Member of the Church of Daraith
Humility: Its pretty much the only thing I'm NOT good at.
Derian wrote:Well, ****. Par is right.
Sir Par
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Aug 2004
Realm: Rath
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Sheild
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby savetuba » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:52 pm

Par wrote:Whenever we get a great surge of newbs, we institute a "Head shot" Rule. If you deliver a head shot, whether or not it was intentional, you die. It really helps with newbs learning control.

We are going to start that here as well.

Other house rules:

Under the age of 14 you will fight with parental supervision and only against kids of their own age group. A modified rule set is used.

Under 16 you fight with parental supervision with the older group

Under 18 you fight with parental permission in the form of a signed wavier.

Crossbows are allowed to 50# at 10" draw.

No garb after 4 weeks = one blue weapon only.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Postby Angmarth » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:07 pm

Rowan wrote:What is the logic behind these rock bans? Were there problems or do realm members just not like rocks?

Here are a couple of the Arnor reasons:

1) Rocks are the most unrealistic weapon we have. (Even flails at least behave like Nunchuks. Rocks do not behave like their historical counterparts at all.)
2) We feel rocks do not add anything to combat. (Rocks resemble the "spellballs" of other organizations and detract from the kind of combat we are attempting to portray. Even Amtgard ditching does not allow such things.)
Sir Angmarth, High King of Arnor
Knight of Numenor
aka Mike Hockaday
Angmarth
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 01 Mar 1998
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Moredain
Favorite Fighting Styles: Crushing my opponent until they relent.

Postby Sir Par » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:31 pm

I like both those reasons. I personally hate rocks.
16th Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Brotherhood of the Falcon
Order of the Gilded Owl
Go Team 4!
Member of the Church of Daraith
Humility: Its pretty much the only thing I'm NOT good at.
Derian wrote:Well, ****. Par is right.
Sir Par
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Aug 2004
Realm: Rath
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Sheild
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Big King Jimmy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:55 pm

Dunharrow decided early on that if we had house rules, we'd have to reexplain the national rules to newbs before events. Therefore, we do not have house rules.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:56 pm

Angmarth--

I like all of those house rules except the stabbing rule, largely because I don't feel that those weapons (or any others with only closed-cell foam) are soft enough for stabbing except when the stabs are the very lightest of pokes. I think non-reusable missile weapons are especially good, because that means that only the people who are REALLY into archery, and have made a dozen or so arrows (or more) will be on the field, and that usually makes for more accurate and therefore dangerous archers. Plus, battles speed up as more people die, rather than slow down as is too often the case.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby Dacian » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:28 am

Big Jimmy wrote:Dunharrow decided early on that if we had house rules, we'd have to reexplain the national rules to newbs before events. Therefore, we do not have house rules.

Khatovar's the same way. We used to make suggestions to new people such as head shot = death, but they've only been suggestions.

Also, once you have someone fight a certain way and then they have to change a couple times a year.

Not that I see a lot of these house rules as bad ones....
Kyulick Division of the War Machine

Tiercel wrote:Sometimes I stay on my knees for so long, I forget, and have to leave them both down.
Dacian
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 6-1997
Realm: Khatovar
Unit: Kyulicks
Favorite Fighting Styles: Thunder and Lightening.

Postby Olos » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:27 pm

I think the headshot = death rule is a great one to do, depending on the circumstance.

If you graze someone's ear, or the person ducks into it, then forget about it and move on.

If, however, I throw a bad headshot (say trying to do a high cross or a shoulder shot and the person moves when I'm not expecting it) and I hit them pretty bad, I'll take death, make sure the person is alright, and take the time before the next battle to calm myself down. Doesn't happen often, but I always hate giving or receiving a headshot, and many times it happens because of fatigue or adrenaline, and you just need to back off for a couple minutes.
Brother of the Black Company!
Resident Dwelf.

HEIL o/

GOD WILLS IT!
Olos
Berserker
Berserker

Return to Rules Discussion And Development