Magic Leg-Switch (aka duck walk)

Topics For Experienced Members

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Magic Leg-Switch (aka duck walk)

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:14 am

Ok, I started talking about this in the leg rule discussion, but people refused to threadjack, which is probably good.

Every time I go out on a field I see someone taking the wrong leg, or swtiching legs in the middle of combat.

Worse yet, people and drag one leg along the ground and then switch legs to drag the other. I've done it myself, and you can cover alot of ground very quickly in this manner, far faster than running on your knees because of the longer stride.

It seems to be a creative inturpretation that falls through the cracks of the rules. Marshals and everyone else on the field lets it slide.

Stopping this practice doesn't even mean changing a single rule, just enforcing what's already there.
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Postby Cyric » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:35 pm

this kinda falls under the same category of the magic switch. no one drops a weapon, then their shield to pick up the weapon with their good hand. i think game wise it's no big deal.

I would like to see more realistic movement on the ground, but i don't think it's that big a deal either.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Postby Big King Jimmy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:45 pm

I always tell new users to drop what ever knee feels most comfortable, and switch if they feel the need.

We're a sport with guys who are getting knee surgery in their mid 20's.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Elebrim » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:13 pm

If you get hit in the left leg, the left leg should take the damage. If you get hit in the right arm, the right arm should take the damage. The magic-weapon-switch only moves the sword/shield, and doesn't actually switch where the damage is taken. The magic-leg-switch, however, does. It's the same thing as getting hit in the right arm, but taking the left since it is more convenient for you as a righty to have that arm available.

Accommodation can and should be made if it is a safety issue like Jimmy mentions, but in general the leg switch is not good. Neither is the arm switch, for that matter. Both should be enforced, but if it were a matter of priority I would probably enforce the leg over the arms.
Templar Draconis Kestevara
Elebrim
Hero
Hero

Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara

Postby Big King Jimmy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:03 pm

No one switches which arm takes the damage, as you said people are left or right handed. But with one leg vs the other you really don't gain an advantage. No one is "right legged" and the stance for each is pretty much the same.
King of Dunharrow
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Kenneth » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:33 pm

Big Jimmy wrote:But with one leg vs the other you really don't gain an advantage. No one is "right legged" and the stance for each is pretty much the same.

I beg to differ. It may not make so much of a difference if your shield is huge and covers your entire body, but which leg is up makes a very large difference when you are trying to protect yourself and attack the other person. Left leg up means your left leg is closer to guy who is typically swinging with his right hand.

Numenor enforces the rules requiring your injured leg to be disabled when hit(3.4.1.1), and for your non-injured leg to be up. (3.4.2.3)
Kenneth
Thug
Thug

Postby Physic » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:46 am

I would like to see either a rule that makes legs untargetable after one has taken damage and you would be unable to move other then to rotate in place. This would increase knee safety and make for a serious disadvantage to a legged fighter, which it should be.

The HACS system would also be something that would improve the game mechanics. It would make explaining rules easier and again improve safety.
Uruk-Hai

"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark."
Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Aegis » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:52 pm

im all for seeing this enforced.

whats the likelyhood that enough marshalls at the major events will have the balls to tell all the veterans that duckwalk, hey stop that?
Aegis
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Magic Leg-Switch (aka duck walk)

Postby Satanaka » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:39 am

I hate to be the bearer of bad news- YOU WILL LOSE THIS DEBATE.

There- now why??? This is something that has been braught up MANY times in the past. From the 90' that I know. My first memories was the people that can run on their knees faster than I can run normally. You'd leg someone- walk 100 yards- and they run up & hit ya in the back. CHEATERS!!! well- of course the 'power's that be' deemed it: "if they can do it: then they can do it.... example: Shindar You can NOT get a rule to pass with out certain people's "OK"

I only know a good handful that actually PLAY the leg damage in the right way.

Numenor is no different- many RUN on their knees as well.

I remember being taught when I was new- to drag the injured leg- you do your best NOT to use it at all. People that have the limbs stabbed- should have NO MOBILITY.
"but satanaka- how can I win if i get legged??? :cry:

Waht you get is sorta what Cyric said: " ...but i don't think it's that big a deal either..."
I am not busting Cyric's chops- THIS is the typical response you get from the majority of people & Heralds. Heck- I had some newbie yelling at me at an Octoberfest where I was Heralding cause I told him he could not run on his knees.

Maybe I am to hard as a Herald? NAH!
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 12 May 1992
Realm: Dur Demarion
Favorite Fighting Styles: Right side of the Sword

Postby Mercer » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:52 pm

Running on your knees is bullcrap. You're supposed to be representing an injury that has denied you the use of a limb. Knee-running is analgous to switching which arm got taken to favor your primary hand: you're switching the damage back and forth to grant yourself a meta-game advantage. If you can drag the leg fast enough, then fine... but the damaged limb HAS to stay down.

It's actually in the rules.
3.4.2.3. Disabled Leg - kneel on ground with the non-injured Leg up.
By that rule, you CANNOT switch... because you're bringing the disabled leg's knee off the ground, and there's no rule allowing for switching. Knee-running is straight-out cheating; you can poo-poo me, and keep maintaining a convention that is straigh against the rules, but that doesn't stop it for being cheating.

To quote a favorite argument of others, if you want it changed to be legal, talk to your WC reps.
Mercer
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 May 1993
Unit: Lonely *
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword-and-Board, Two-Hander

Postby Arrakis » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:40 pm

The "taking a knee" thing has always bothered me, both for not being played the way the rule is written and for being totally inconsistent with reality. If I take a wound to the leg that would entice me to go down to the ground on my knee, I'm one dead dude.

*shrug* It's all for playability anyway, right? I don't even know what to think anymore.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Forkbeard » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:18 pm

Running on your knee's is cheating. So is selecting where(which leg) you take your damage. Your hit where your hit. If you have some problem with your knee, you shouldn't be fighting.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Mercer » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:58 pm

Arrakis-

If we went toward the realism side, the end result of a leg wound that severe would be that we writhe around on the ground for a few minutes, while our lifeblood either drains out of our bodies (in the case of a hack/slash) or bloats the surrounding flesh in a mass of internal bleeding brought on by bone shards lacerating major arteries and veins (in the case of blunt weapon damage).

As that would be rather less than fun, losing the use of the leg is a nice stop-gap measure. :)
Mercer
Hero
Hero

Postby Satanaka » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:35 pm

Hmmmm... seems the knee is one of the prime target of foam fighting (right behind knuckles). Shesh- if everyone quit that had a knee issue in Belegarth- it would be a large number. ACL's seem to be a common injury. There are some good knee braces but they are bulky, hot, and $$$$$.
I'd not tell people they should not be fighting- I'd think they had sense enough to know their limits.
Hmmmmmm.... No- I take that back- I did not know or just refused to listen UNTILL injuries got VERY bad. So I am in that "stupid" lot. :P
Sorry

Forkbeard wrote:Running on your knee's is cheating. So is selecting where(which leg) you take your damage. Your hit where your hit. If you have some problem with your knee, you shouldn't be fighting.
FB
Last edited by Satanaka on Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Ralimar » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:33 pm

This was from three months ago! Let it die!!
Ralimar
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2099

Postby Satanaka » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:15 pm

HEY!!! Ralimar- some of us are slow readers!!!!

I only get to visit here in burst. Change the channel. :devil:

Ralimar wrote:This was from three months ago! Let it die!!
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Ralimar » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:05 pm

I've been trying, but recently all I've been getting is ALL SAKI ALL THE TIME, and occasionally the SAKI ON SAKI channel, which comes in kind of fuzzy.
Ralimar
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2099

Postby Mercer » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:32 pm

And kinda disturbing, which makes me happy for the fuzziness.

As for the age of the thread... apologies for aiding and abetting Saki, but it IS an important issue to address. Either marshalls/heralds need to start enforcing the limits of the rules, or there needs to be a modification of the rules to allow the behavior.
Mercer
Hero
Hero

Postby Aegis » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:25 am

the more I think about it, the more im ok with them duckwalking....

cause I can res or get up and fight next battle, they are gonna have knee problems for life.
Aegis
Warrior
Warrior

Postby debuenzo » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:14 am

call them dead*

3.4.2. All Injury effects must be accurately portrayed and reported.
3.4.2.1. Death - Lay down immediately. Do not move unless instructed by a Marshal.
3.4.2.2. Disabled Arm - A disabled Arm may not hold anything. If the Arm is disabled by a Class 1 or 2 Weapon then place Arm behind back. If the Arm is disabled by a Class 3 or 4 Weapon, leave Arm dangling limply at side.

if they have two knees on ground they are taking the damage to two legs = dead
Brother of the Black Company
debuenzo
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 30 Aug 2003
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and shield

Postby Big King Jimmy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:52 am

Now wait, I fighting with both knees down all the time, if that simply resulted in death, we wouldn't have a rule that states that if both knees are down damage to either leg kills you.
King of Dunharrow
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Satanaka » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:54 am

ok Rali-
Maybe I want to have 5,000 post like all the cool kids....
:devil:

but - I do only get on here once in a while. I have been away for a long while and just started reading more post in other areas- that were actually interesting to a point.

Most the people I know- look at much of this garabage and just laugh and walk past- BUT then - two months later- we hear how the 'garbage' is the new rule or the new ________ Officer. So- it's like- ok- rules are changing and WHY???? So- I started reading more.

Make sense???? Yeah, yeah, yeah- I don't talk "pc" I have yet to take Kegg's 'PC' Talking 101 maybe someday. Heck- might keep me out of trouble. :devil:

Ralimar wrote:I've been trying, but recently all I've been getting is ALL SAKI ALL THE TIME, and occasionally the SAKI ON SAKI channel, which comes in kind of fuzzy.
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Satanaka » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:08 pm

No Jimmy- how many rules do we need to to add to make it 'crystal' clear?

3.4.2. All Injury effects must be accurately portrayed and reported.

If you put both knees down when you only have one hit- You are cheating. It's just that simple. I don't mean any insult to you- but how plain do you want it? So as a Herald- do you call someone 'dead' when they cheat?

*** I remember when I moved to Numenor and called people dead- then ego's blew up and Kegg and I spoke and I was informed (best Kegg voice on) : " ...Well, you see, it's sorta like, when both legs are down and.... well, then either leg you hit has to be taken... and so, well because both legs were down. So- we don't say anything about both legs down..." Of course- lasting MUCH longer than that. :devil:

NOW- what that did was to make the fighters "think" it must be 'ok' to do as well as was breaking the rules. I do not know where you got it from Jimmy- that is just the first place I ever saw it.

The actual act is still cheating. NO MATTER that if you get hit in either leg. The other thing about it- is the "other" leg is almost taken out as a valid target. So- BY CHEATING- you are taking a target away from your opponent. Fenris (long ago Fenris from Dur- Demarion) would stab the other leg- so he COULD remove it as a target. He would have NO mobility and played it that way.

Big Jimmy wrote:Now wait, I fighting with both knees down all the time, if that simply resulted in death, we wouldn't have a rule that states that if both knees are down damage to either leg kills you.
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Big King Jimmy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:52 pm

So which is more likely, that War Council passed a rule that described what to do if a person was cheating:

3.7.6. If an opponent has both knees on the ground, a strike to either Leg is considered to have struck the good Leg. If the opponent is lunging or rolling around and has a disabled Leg and is hit in either, it is considered a hit to the uninjured Leg.

Or that, and Satanaka you might want to sit down for this it might be a shock.

Our game changes. It evolves. 10 years ago we weren't even playing the same game (Dag) and now things get done a little differently than when you first made that chat with Kegg. That examples of how things were done many moons ago might not apply to now, because that's not how we do things now. And that "I'm old, I remember how it's supposed to be" isn't a valid argument, because that's not the way it is now.

We have a rule that describes what to od if both knees are down, you count either leg as a hit.
King of Dunharrow
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:08 am

Jimmy's right, that's how everyone does it, and it's in the rules.. And I don't feel that it removes a target area--many times I have killed opponents by hitting their front leg, originally their dead leg, but a legal target once they put both legs down. In these situations, I would not have been able to hit the back (live) leg, and of course hitting the front leg wouldn't have done anything.

The knee-switching run that started this thread is definitely cheating and shouldn't be allowed; marshals should call fighters dead when they do it. But with both legs down, I can run on my knees (both knees on the ground) quite fast; I have even outrun people who were running full-speed away from me (they were not in good physical shape). But the trade-off is that I thereby open both legs to attack.

As far as the magic switch goes: in Dagorhir, the game I play most of the time, it is illegal, and people who do it in a tournament automatically forfeit because they have cheated. On the field, the heralds usually just yell at people but don't call them dead, although many fighters will take a death if/when they realize they have done it. I appreciate that Belegarth is a different game; I just wanted to mention this.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby Satanaka » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:05 pm

So- are you guys still running on your knees in Dag???

on another issue- same topic:
I do see a little differnce between "having to act out the injury" and "...if you have both knees on the ground- then either counts..."
So- did we say- that you must show the injury- as in dead leg down- then people put BOTH (Hmmm.. must be an advantage) then IF both are down- then either count????

So- does ANYONE else see any issue here?

MagnusofDregoth wrote:that's how everyone does it, and it's in the rules..

Hmmmmmm sounds sorat like an absolute.... maybe?????
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:42 pm

In Dagorhir, people go down to both knees for the extra mobility, but I don't see people doing the duck-walk that has been described above.

I do run on my knees. But to be fair, I can run on my knees only about half as fast as I can run on my feet.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:14 pm

Put down your walkers, no fighting amongst the fighters..... :goblin:

Here's the deal, this is for Saki as well as everyone else who has been in on this....

It is perfectly legal to have both of my knees on the ground in several circumstances.
1. One leg is hacked, the other is pierced. Both knees are on the ground but I am not dead.
2. One leg is hacked and the other is not so that leg is up. I take a shield push, fall over and both knees are on the ground, did I just die from falling over, I think not. Am I cheating for not having died, no.
3. One leg is hacked the other is not, same as above i am shoved over, now neither leg is on the ground, am I cheating, no.

This does not make it ok to sit with both knees on the ground if only one leg is injured. It only settles the arguement when one of the above circumstances happens.

Duck walking is cheating. Switching any hit location to somewhere else is cheating. Not properly portraying your injuries is cheating. Jimmy is right, the game has changed a bit from the early 90's. Back then if I hit the same leg twice before you went down, you were dead. That rule was changed to reflect how people were fighting. These rules have not changed however.

If you would like them changed to relfect your want to switch injuries and duckwalk, talk to your WC rep, I am sure they will take it to WC right away. :monkey:
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Angmarth » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:31 pm

This is why we play any two limb wounds (including pierces) is death in Arnor. It is far, far simpler.
Sir Angmarth, High King of Arnor
Knight of Numenor
aka Mike Hockaday
Angmarth
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 01 Mar 1998
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Moredain
Favorite Fighting Styles: Crushing my opponent until they relent.

Postby Satanaka » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:14 pm

Guys & Gals,

I hope that ALL of you are here- discussing, debating, talking about issues.
This is a great place to do it. I have enjoyed as well as got some different view, perspectives and thoughts from other people post.
I have learned as well as got to input my thoughts & opinion (and reflect "How it use to Be') sorry for the last one.

This is constructive and a good thing to see, hear and take in other people views, ideas and opinions.

We are stronger and smarter as a collective. "You WILL be assimilated!!" - sorry- could not resist. :devil:

I'd hope NO ONE has got angry or took anything personal. I haven't taken any offense to people that disagree or see things differently.

As I have practice in the past- I try to do my best to serve Belegarth. If a rule is voted in I don't like or agree with- I am still going to follow it untill it is changed or trashed.

Are we all on the same page?
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Raccoon » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:56 pm

there have been a lot of rules mentioned in this thread but I didn't see this one
3.7.7. A Combatant who has their Leg disabled must either crawl on his/her knees or be realistically supported.
This is why people can crawl or [depending on you definition of crawl (can mean to just move slower on the ground)] allow you to run on your knees.
What about rolling around? Is that illegal?
Raccoon
Venerable Librarian
Brotherhood of the Falcon
Self Declared King of Ohio
Avalon
Raccoon
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 18 Mar 1997
Realm: Avalon
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Anything I am using at the time

Postby Davit » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:50 am

To my interpretation of the rules, yes that is legal, as long as the leg disabled is only used as a knee.
House Hellhammer
Defender of the Stein
The Psycho with the Flail
Knight of Wolfpack
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."- Confucius
Davit
Double Post Eradicator

Return to Rules Discussion And Development