Garb Standards

Topics For Experienced Members

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Postby savetuba » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:15 pm

Oisin wrote:Amen, brother Kenny . . . I'd love to see the garb standard ratcheted up a few notches.

So then this becomes a you must have garb equal to that of royalty kind of *. Suppose the grab I have is burlap pants/skirt and a grass stained, mud covered cloth hanging from my neck with a dirty, tattered, raveling rope around my waist? Bad garb?
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Postby Derian » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:17 pm

No, I think he's trying to get people away from wearing sweatpants and a tabbard and calling it a day.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Oisin » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:32 pm

Jesus, Tuba . . . no, it has nothing to do with what societal class your garb represents, it has everything to do with trying to pass flower print skirts and underarmour off as garb.

What you described would be great garb. I don't dress as royalty, either, and to be honest, grand poobah garb is rather boring . . . but it'd be nice to see more people wearing stuff that is at least a vague approximation of period clothing.
Oisín Leathshúileach ua Duibhne
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

An Fhírinne in aghaidh an tSaoil--Truth against the world.
Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby savetuba » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:19 pm

K. I get suspicious when someone mentions raising the bar on garb because then standards are pushed to a level where people don't want to shell out the money when it is only going to be ruined in a year of hard fighting.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Oisin » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:27 pm

Lol, that's the other reason I DO shell out the money for period materials . . . I've found that wool and linnen hold up far better for far longer than cotton does.
Oisín Leathshúileach ua Duibhne
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

An Fhírinne in aghaidh an tSaoil--Truth against the world.
Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Derian » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:35 pm

Split to keep on topic.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:33 pm

Derian wrote:No, I think he's trying to get people away from wearing sweatpants and a tabbard and calling it a day.

If I could get everyone showing up at practice to do even that, I would be amazed.
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Derian » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:16 pm

Practices are a little different, but you can always just start telling people that no garb = no fight.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby savetuba » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:38 pm

or the most effective: NO GARB = single blue or single green ONLY.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Cyric » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:46 am

sweat pants and a tabard is ok, compared to jeans and modern looking tennis shoes.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:36 am

I think that Derian has a point here. The problem isn't the garb standard, the problem is enforcement.

Enforcing garb draws a fine line between our attempts at combat recreation and our desire to draw in new members.

Lets face it, even though some people like to fight with us, they're leery of drawing too much attention by dressing like a weirdo.

I think the wake-up call for most serious fighters comes when they attend their first national event and feel ridiculously under dressed.

Thomas has the right of it when he says that it would be a miracle if we could really get the sweatpants-tabard rule enforced. And as far as floral skirts go, they're not the worst garb choice so long as it's not paired with a ripped t-shirt or half an old navy sweater.
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Postby Arrakis » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:29 am

Rowan wrote:I think the wake-up call for most serious fighters comes when they attend their first national event and feel ridiculously under dressed.

Amen. The first summer I was in Bel, I just treid to wear modern clothing that didn't look particularly modern that I didn't mind ruining: darkish green pants, dark-colored tees, and old beat-up white (only color I had that wasn't brand new) tennis shoes. I heard I needed garb for Beltaine so I got Nilu to sew me some pants (swapped her a dagger for 'em) and went thrift store-hopping for old polos and polo-tunicced 'em. I felt so... lame.

The problem with minimal garb is that people would rather look normal and modern and out of place on a practice field than look stupid in subpar garb. Once they see some good garb, though, and especially if people help them get some good garb, they'll be inspired.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Derian » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:54 pm

I think that garb at practices is quite secondary to garb at events.

There was some pretty awful garb at Spring War this year; I saw a guy in cargo shorts and some band t-shirt or something. He fought all day like that.

The rules are there. Heralds should start telling people on the field wearing mundane clothes to go and change or get off the field.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Davit » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:39 pm

Lol the guy you are referring to got a talking to, and changed. I think as a herald have more important things to worry about, so i don't notice that stuff, but if you are at an event where I'm heralding point it out, and I will go talk to them and they get the, get it changed or get off talk.

Moral of the story, if you see someone that isn't wearing garb at an event, go and either: A. Talk to a herald about it, or B. Go and talk to them yourself.

Practices, that's a whole other issue, IMO there's a practice and while i usually get dressed up in garb, sometimes I just don't feel like it, I think a mix of mostly garbed people with a few people there w/o garb makes a practice approachable by others who may/may not want to join.
House Hellhammer
Defender of the Stein
The Psycho with the Flail
Knight of Wolfpack
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."- Confucius
Davit
Double Post Eradicator

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:02 pm

Mekoot Davit wrote:a mix of mostly garbed people with a few people there w/o garb makes a practice approachable by others who may/may not want to join.

QFT
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Postby Sir Par » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:50 pm

Any realm who follows the book of war should enforce at least the minimum at practice. The better your group looks, the more likely it is that people will stop and watch, giving you an opportunity to go talk to them. Garb is what makes us an MCS instead of a bunch of morons who wack eachother with nerf bats.
16th Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Brotherhood of the Falcon
Order of the Gilded Owl
Go Team 4!
Member of the Church of Daraith
Humility: Its pretty much the only thing I'm NOT good at.
Derian wrote:Well, ****. Par is right.
Sir Par
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Aug 2004
Realm: Rath
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Sheild
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Big King Jimmy » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:20 pm

Right, but the one or two people without garb is what makes us a group of people, instead of a group of weirdos in funny clothes. Who cares if they watch if they walk away when you approach them?

Every practice should try to have as much variety as possible. Fighting skill, ages, boys and girls (men/women), weapons styles, and garb levels. It's nice to be able to say "this is someone whose been out a couple of weeks." and then 1 year, and then that guy, 5 years, and so on.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Sir Anastasia » Sat May 10, 2008 4:19 pm

As a person who is just starting a new realm, I have to agree that deciding how strictly to enforce garb requirements is very difficult. Right now we have been increasing in numbers by four people per week, from 6 in March to 21 last Monday. I think a lot of our appeal to new people is that most of us are not in garb. Of course, this is mostly due to the fact that the second most tenured person has been playing for 3 months.

Our "casual" days have definately helped us recruit people off of the sidewalk (usually 2 per practice). I hope to start enforcing minimal garb soon, but right now I'd settle for 80% of my crew to own a single sword!

I do believe that the more you require for gameplay, the less accessible you become to new people.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Sat May 10, 2008 5:13 pm

I've always thought of garb as the direct equivalent to athletic uniforms, at least on the field. Thus, you don't have to wear garb at practice, because you don't wear your uniform to practice, but if you don't have garb that's up to snuff at an event you should simply not be on the field, simple as that.

One thing that bugs me about some of the garb out there is that some people wear stuff that looks neither medieval/dark ages nor fantasy, but just strange. That is, they don't look like knights or orcs or warriors, but badly-dressed dorks. I think that good garb will turn away fewer people than bad garb, but besides that, it just makes the overall experience better for everyone.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Tue May 20, 2008 12:48 pm

Having good garb starts with home. Our realm requires minimal garb after 8 practices. Thusly people can try out the game without sinking a bunch of money/time in right off, but the realm, in general, looks better and more medieval. This is not to say there aren't folks in street clothes at practices, we just discourage it after so long.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Return to Rules Discussion And Development