Class 3 and Bow Breaking

Topics For Experienced Members

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Class 3 and Bow Breaking

Postby Elebrim » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:06 pm

Subject: arrow hitting a bow

The Book of War wrote:3.8. Missile Weapon Conventions
3.8.1. If a bow is struck by a Class 1 or 2 Weapon, it is considered broken and cannot be used.

I am curious as to why Class 3 weapons would not also break a bow. Any ideas as to why that is?
Templar Draconis Kestevara
Elebrim
Hero
Hero

Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara

Re: Class 3 and Bow Breaking

Postby Cyric » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:42 pm

Probably a realism thing, as an arrow hit to a bow probably wouldn't break it. Granted, a spear to a bow would probably break it, but oh well. I don't think it's that big of an issue.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Postby Oisin » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:21 pm

I guarantee you that a direct hit from an arrow (a real life arrow, that is, fired from a bow that's assumed to be powerful enough to punch through plate steel) to another bow will break it. Bows, especially period bows made of natural materials, are very fragile creatures. At the least, you'd have to take it down and straighten/repair it a bit, which is well outside the time frame of a Belegarth battle, ergo effectively broken.

My guess as to why arrows don't break bows, though, is that since weapons don't block arrows, the arrow is generally presumed to have passed through the bow to hit whatever's behind it. If the arrow broke the bow, then since a single attack can only cause a single hit, the bow would effectively have blocked the arrow from hitting the person.

I think green melee weapons should break bows . . . but I also think that any archer who actually blocks with his bow is an idiot. It's dangerous, and quite likely to damage your bow.
Oisín Leathshúileach ua Duibhne
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

An Fhírinne in aghaidh an tSaoil--Truth against the world.
Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Big King Jimmy » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:15 pm

I always assume that, unlike historical spears, our spear have fat fat tips on them. And the chance of a real spear tip meeting that 1.5" wide surface was a lot less likely than the 6" or so diameter fatty head on one of our spears. Same with javalins, and not as bad but the same with arrows.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra