Anviling verbage

Topics For Experienced Members

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Anviling verbage

Postby Daemarth » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:42 am

I don't see any wording that uses anvil in our rules. Can someone please point out the anviling rule to me. I'm old and blind and can't seem to find it. I don't really think 3.7.3 and 3.7.4 really define what we used to use as rules, so is it anywhere else?

- Well I'm not all too good with words, and I think I can describe it well enough though. When I started way back in 2000, if your weapon got hit into a target area, even if it was a light hit, it counted as an anvil. Or if it got hit into a target area and the person's weapon also hit that area light it counted as an anvil. It didn't have to be laid across an area with direct contact which is how I read our rules now. I tried explaining this to a newer person last year and he thought I was nuts. The first thing he asked was "Where is that in the rules?"

So to me the rules now read as it's ok to get your weapons hit into you as long as they are not striking with the same force as an unhindered good hit from another player. If that is how we are playing it now then I would say the wording is ok, but if it's more like how we used to do it then I would think we should consider rewording it somehow... by someone that has higher English skills than mine :P

BUT... lol yes I have a but... that does account for weapons like down spears, that could be hit into your leg for example with any amount of force but it wouldn't count since it's a non striking surface (the haft) hitting you... and yes... I've seen this kind of cheese tried. Even people calling "flat" from their own sword hitting their legs and such, which is why we always played it as any part of the weapon hit into you, and even if it is light, to keep the "indestructibles" out of the game. I would like to hear thoughts about this.
Last edited by Daemarth on Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Daemarth
Monkey
Monkey

Re: Anviling verbage

Postby Derian » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:03 am

I think 3.7.3 perfectly describes anviling:

3.7.3. Blocking a Weapon strike by laying a Weapon against a Target Area and/or Shield is illegal.

How would you phrase it?
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Slagar » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:43 pm

That's how I was taught. I honestly didn't know that the rules were ever interpreted differently. The rule of thumb I was taught was that "sufficient force" never changes, no matter what, and that includes anvilling. If your weapon hits hard enough to count, then it counts, otherwise it's "light", which also never changes (except for projectiles).

To be fair, I may very well be misinformed here, it wouldn't be the first time. Anyone else here play it differently than my group?
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Derian » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:09 pm

Yeah, I've always heard it and played it that if your weapon is pushed into your body (or shield/whatever), the strike does not count unless it retains sufficient force.

Basically what Slagar is saying - if the hit is solid, it should probably be taken, even if you partially blocked it. Now, for the sake of argument, if you take away just enough so that it doesn't have sufficient force, well, then that's a successful block, even if it still strikes you, because the shot no longer has sufficient force.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Big King Jimmy » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:07 pm

I've always played that there has to be a weapon/object/body sandwich. They all have to be in contact at the same time. I'm not taking half swings because you felt you didn't need to follow through.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Derian » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:13 pm

Since this is more of a discussion at this point, I'm going to move it so that more people can chime in.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:57 pm

Any stirke that hits with sufficient force is a hit....no matter if a weapon was in the way or not. If the strike does not connect with sufficient force, it is not a hit, unless you are anvilling before the shot ever connects (then you are just cheating).
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:35 pm

Soo Ma Tai wrote:Any stirke that hits with sufficient force is a hit....no matter if a weapon was in the way or not. If the strike does not connect with sufficient force, it is not a hit, unless you are anvilling before the shot ever connects (then you are just cheating).

I'm certainly not a veteran, but that is how I always interpreted it. The only addendum I would add is that a sheathed weapon should count the force of the blow as if the weapon wasn't there.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Arrakis » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:12 pm

Is hand-on-weapon blocking of an arrow legal? Hand-on-weapon counts as part of the weapon, so I'd think not, but, then, you're getting hit in the hand, not the weapon.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:17 pm

Arrakis wrote:Is hand-on-weapon blocking of an arrow legal? Hand-on-weapon counts as part of the weapon, so I'd think not, but, then, you're getting hit in the hand, not the weapon.

Sounds like a whole new thread.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Derian » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:20 pm

I would say without question 'no'.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Arrakis » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:42 pm

How about foot-on-ground?
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Big King Jimmy » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Hand on weapon is considered part of the weapon, if an arrow strikes a weapon it travels through to the target area behind it. I'd call arm as an archer.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Derian » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:05 pm

Unless it was intentional, at which point a marshal should call you dead.

Foot on ground will never come up as intentional blocking. If an arrow hits a foot on ground, it's ground, same as with any other weapon.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Satanaka » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:29 pm

Many people take this as a point of honor- goes with your personel honor I guess- If I was hit on my down foot by an arrow- I'd take a leg.

Derian wrote:Unless it was intentional, at which point a marshal should call you dead.

Foot on ground will never come up as intentional blocking. If an arrow hits a foot on ground, it's ground, same as with any other weapon.
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 12 May 1992
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Right side of the Sword

Postby Derian » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:32 pm

Why, it's clearly stated in the Book of War that a foot on ground counts as ground.

Do you also take accidental headshots as death? It's the same deal.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Satanaka » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:34 pm

Most the "anvil" issues I have seen- stem from people laying a sword across shield so it can't get broke- or saying a 'sheathed' weapon blocked the blow.
I have had my sword hit hard enough to knock into me- I took the hit- BUT if it was light- the light. I have also seen the "long sword down behind round shield "Anvilling" against the leg like an unbreakable shield...
I have took death for hitting self in head just for stupidity and embarrasment :devil:

BTW- where you been old man?

Daemarth wrote:I don't see any wording that uses anvil in our rules. Can someone please point out the anviling rule to me. I'm old and blind and can't seem to find it. I don't really think 3.7.3 and 3.7.4 really define what we used to use as rules, so is it anywhere else?

- Well I'm not all too good with words, and I think I can describe it well enough though. When I started way back in 2000, if your weapon got hit into a target area, even if it was a light hit, it counted as an anvil. Or if it got hit into a target area and the person's weapon also hit that area light it counted as an anvil. It didn't have to be laid across an area with direct contact which is how I read our rules now. I tried explaining this to a newer person last year and he thought I was nuts. The first thing he asked was "Where is that in the rules?"

So to me the rules now read as it's ok to get your weapons hit into you as long as they are not striking with the same force as an unhindered good hit from another player. If that is how we are playing it now then I would say the wording is ok, but if it's more like how we used to do it then I would think we should consider rewording it somehow... by someone that has higher English skills than mine :P

BUT... lol yes I have a but... that does account for weapons like down spears, that could be hit into your leg for example with any amount of force but it wouldn't count since it's a non striking surface (the haft) hitting you... and yes... I've seen this kind of cheese tried. Even people calling "flat" from their own sword hitting their legs and such, which is why we always played it as any part of the weapon hit into you, and even if it is light, to keep the "indestructibles" out of the game. I would like to hear thoughts about this.
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Derian » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:54 pm

Wow, three posts from you that I agree with in one night, Satanaka. Something must be wrong. ;)
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Satanaka » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:47 pm

Darn! I got to get the mask back ajusted or get back on the meds... :devil:

hehehehehe... Thanks Derian.

Derian wrote:Wow, three posts from you that I agree with in one night, Satanaka. Something must be wrong. ;)
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Satanaka » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:48 pm

If I am the one hitting someone in the head- sometimes, and sometimes I still do Pushups.

Derian wrote:Why, it's clearly stated in the Book of War that a foot on ground counts as ground.

Do you also take accidental headshots as death? It's the same deal.
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Derian » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:53 am

Well, still though, I mean, if we were fighting, and I were to clearly accidentally hit you in the head - would you take death? It's the same thing in my mind. This isn't an issue of rules ambiguity; the rules clearly spell out that foot on ground is ground.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Satanaka » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:39 pm

If you hit me? me take death? only if it knocked the living dog snot out of me- else- It's on YOUR Honor to take death.
Some things are a point of Honor- NOT in the rules. If I clocked someone in the head- I might either take death or do pushups.
Maybe it's an old school thing. :devil:

Derian wrote:Well, still though, I mean, if we were fighting, and I were to clearly accidentally hit you in the head - would you take death? It's the same thing in my mind. This isn't an issue of rules ambiguity; the rules clearly spell out that foot on ground is ground.
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Return to Rules Discussion And Development