Missile Deflection

Topics For Experienced Members

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Missile Deflection

Postby Isk » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:15 pm

BoW wrote:3.8.4. A missile Weapon is considered to have hit if there is significant deflection of the missile head (>30 degrees). Once the missile head has significantly deflected off a target, the missile is rendered harmless.

I think I just gained a better understanding of this rule at WoF, which was a great event, BTW.

So if a javie or a rock hits a shield, weapon, tree, whatever and deflects >30 degrees before striking a valid target (my head, limb, body) I ignore the hit since it has already hit and can only strike one target. I understood this to be the case with arrows, but had assumed rocks and javies were still 'live' until they hit a human target or stopped moving. Am I understanding this correctly now?
http://www.antirdearg.com
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
-- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

I don't have hobbies, I'm just developing a robust post-apocalyptic survival skillset.
Isk
Berserker
Berserker

Realm: An Tir Dearg
Unit: Deshi
Favorite Fighting Styles: Foam Coated Death

Re: Missile Deflection

Postby Derian » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:23 am

Yes, rocks and javelins are missile weapons as well, so this rule does indeed apply to them.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Isk » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:27 am

Thanks, Derian. As I said, this weekend was the first time I have heard this in regards to rocks and javs. With rocks in particular I have seen people honor shots bounced off of shields, trees and other people, so I wanted to be crystal clear before I started arguing they are invalid after deflection.

I don't have hobbies, I'm just developing a robust post-apocalyptic survival skillset.
Isk
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Karion D'Learive » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:25 pm

iskatyel, i am surprised you did not bring this up at WoF, i would have been happy to answer this question. oh well, glad you enjoyed the event.

And just to make sure it's pointed out. The reverse of your question is also correct. If a arrow/rock/jav deflects <30 degrees and this proceeds to hit you, the shot is legal and does count.

Most people honor both types of shots (or at least people i know) as in the heat of battle its hard to tell if the weapon in question was aimed at you or just hit you by deflection. Better to be honorable and take the hit, then not take it and get yelled out. Battles dont last too long anyway, youll be back up and fighting in no time.
Karion D'Learive
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 01 Jun 1997
Unit: Forsaken
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Archery

Postby Isk » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:17 pm

Karion, you guys did an awesome job with WoF and were great hosts. I would have easily discussed it with you, but Par was the one who pointed it out to me and we discussed it until I understood it. As I said above, I just wanted it crystal clear and with a thread I could point people to because I know at least a couple veterans who will disagree with me, particularly regarding rocks.

iskatyel wrote:Most people honor both types of shots (or at least people i know) as in the heat of battle its hard to tell if the weapon in question was aimed at you or just hit you by deflection. Better to be honorable and take the hit, then not take it and get yelled out. Battles dont last too long anyway, youll be back up and fighting in no time.

QFT. Couldn't have said it better myself. Arrows make it trickier as the deflection doesn't count off of a weapon and the whole "was it more than 30 discussion" is a waste of fighting time. I just want to have the rules straight and teach my new guys to play fair.

Isk
Berserker
Berserker

Return to Rules Discussion And Development