Allowing or Disallowing Titanium

Topics For Experienced Members

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Allowing or Disallowing Titanium

Postby Kage » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:08 pm

As brought up in the Rules Question forums; What are the problems with Titanium, What are the pros to Titanium, and should we or should we not allow it.

As far as I'm concerned Titanium (Ti) meets all of the main components of our style of game play. It can be made safe. It has a realistic weight and color. And it is just as playable as any other steel alloy we have; given that Ti is and element in and of its self.

Thoughts?
Kage
21st Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Ebonhold
Coffee with Kage
Kage
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Ebonhold

Re: Allowing or Disallowing Titanium

Postby Peregrine » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:35 pm

I see no problem with it.
something about polyvinylchloride leaching into the brain, causing slow reactions and high crossing. -Sir Beauregaurd-

Sir Peregrine the Paragon of Paladins
Thengel of Muxlovia.
Loyal brother in arms to Sir Beauregaurd

Clan of the Hydra
Peregrine
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2004
Realm: Muxlovia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery

Postby varadin » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:55 pm

I see it opening the flood gates. You allow something like titanium and you have people saying that its not period so that we should allow things like aluminum, or plastic armor. You have to draw the line somewhere and right now it being at period metals is a rather clear line. Sure people will argue for cloth armor, bone and wood since they allow for more characterization but their are rather easily seen safety/playability issues on them.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby Derian » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:59 pm

I don't see a problem with it. As to the slippery slope fallacy - just because we allow titanium, which is similarly encumbering to steel and modern derivatives thereof, doesn't mean that aluminum and plastic armor is suddenly going to be allowed. No one wants to see armor rules trivialized.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Angmarth » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:43 pm

I agree with Derian on this. Titanium, as long as it is similar in its properties to steel, should be okay for armor.
Sir Angmarth, High King of Arnor
Knight of Numenor
aka Mike Hockaday
Angmarth
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 01 Mar 1998
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Moredain
Favorite Fighting Styles: Crushing my opponent until they relent.

Postby Freyson » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:39 pm

How would one go about telling the difference between Titanium and some other non-period metal such as aluminum? With steel it is pretty easy with a magnet. With other currently allowed metals it is also pretty easy with just simple eye and weight comparison. But titanium and aluminum are pretty close in look (especially when treated or colored), weight, strength, etc.. Is there any easy way to test for titanium without letting other metals slip though check?
Freyson
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Derian » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:21 pm

The magnet point is a good argument, however (pure) titanium is actually about twice as dense as (pure) aluminum, so the weight should be noticeable.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Angmarth » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:11 am

We allow other non-magnetic metals such as bronze and copper, so I don't see the arguement there. I contend that as long as the density of the material is comparable to that of steel, copper, bronze, etc. then it would be fine. The only reason aluminum isn't allowed, I believe, is that it isn't encumbering at all. This was the same logic that determined the azon cheese-mail would not be allowed, even tho it IS made from an already accepted metal (stainless steel).
Knight of Numenor
aka Mike Hockaday
Angmarth
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Arrakis » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:07 pm

There are stainless steel alloys that are not ferromagnetic. As it is, we have to trust in our designated armor checkers' ability to distinguish by sight and feel between aluminum; nickle; titanium; mild, spring, stainless, galvy, etc. steels; copper; bronze; brass; iron; etc. It's not hard once you get the hang of it. Go audit a materials science class or spend some time in a metal shop.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Oisin » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:51 pm

Most Belegarth weapons and armour checkers are NOT qualified to properly check metal armour. They don't know what they're looking at, they don't know what they're looking for, they don't know what's safe, they don't know what's not safe. For the simple reason 99% of them have absolutely no experience with anything other than butted maille and maybe a few fragments of mass-prod plate spaulders or such, and probably never well.

Oh, and titanium isn't at all that close in weight to steel. The OP must be misinformed. In fact, titanium is only a bit more than half as dense as steel, and is closer to the density of aluminum than it is to the density of iron.

Also contrary to the OP's original statements, there is, in my opinion, nothing in the armour rules that is less historically accurate than titanium. I mean, sure, stainless steel and galvanization are modern processes as well . . . but at least they're based on a material that was widely used then. Although, unlike the craptastic leather armour people use in Belegarth, titanium would at least actually do **** to stop a blow.

That being said, after doing the math, sheet titanium with the same thickness as 20 gauge mild steel does weigh about thirteen and a half ounces per square foot compared to 12 oz per square foot for 12 oz leather (and really the minimum weight of uber-cheese ninja brigs and the like is even lower). For reference, 20 gauge sheet steel weighs 24 oz per square foot.

So, take that for what you will.
Last edited by Oisin on Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
Oisín Leathshúileach ua Duibhne
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

An Fhírinne in aghaidh an tSaoil--Truth against the world.
Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Kage » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:00 am

I don't see why you are calling the OP of the rules question a liar. His math is pretty much correct. He was off on the 18g suit he has. True he should have had a number closer to 1. not 1.2. Steel is 1.4 something or other pounds per square foot at 20g. Titanium is .85 roughly at 20g. But comparing weight in reality is much like comparing Iron to Lead. Lead weighs a significant amount more but is very soft. Comparing strength would be a better option. Steel and Titanium are almost identical in strength. Steel is stiffer, but Titanium is lighter.
Kage
Ebonhold
Coffee with Kage
Kage
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Oisin » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:21 am

Just so we can get all of the numbers on the table:

20 gauge mild sheet steel is 0.9119 mm thick.

18 gauge mild sheet steel is 1.2141 mm thick.

There are 30.48 centimeters in a foot, or 929.0304 square centimeters in a square foot.

This means that the volume of a square foot of 20 gauge steel is 84.71828 cm3, while the volume of a square foot of 18 gauge steel is 112.7935 cm3.

The density of iron (and, therefore, very nearly the density of steel) is 7.874 g/cm3.

The density of titanium is 4.506 g/cm3.

So, a square foot of 20 gauge sheet steel weighs 23.53 ounces, and a square foot of 18 gauge sheet steel weighs 31.32 ounces. Either galvanized or stainless sheet will be slightly thicker. Sheet stainless works out so that it weighs exactly 24 and 32 oz respectively per thickness, which is the ideal weight for steel (ie, the gauges are supposed to be calibrated so that 18 gauge does weigh 2 lbs per square foot exactly). Mild steel could be slightly denser than iron so that those thicknesses work out to the ideal, but it's close enough for government work.

A square foot of sheet titanium of the same thickness (I'm here going to assume that the thickness requirements for all metals are the same, and not calculated differently based on the fact that gauge measurements vary with the density of the metal) as 20 gauge sheet steel weighs 13.942 oz, and a square foot of sheet titanium with the same thickness as 18 gauge sheet steel weighs 17.927 ounces.
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Angmarth » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:33 am

Assuming Oisin's math is correct (I have no reason to doubt it) I would be against allowing titanium. Sorry folks, IMHO it just isn't heavy enough.
Knight of Numenor
aka Mike Hockaday
Angmarth
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Kage » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:33 pm

I guess I don't see what weight has to do with anything. Is that what we are using to consider armor encumbering?
Kage
Ebonhold
Coffee with Kage
Kage
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Angmarth » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:27 pm

In my opinion, yes. We disallowed the azon cheese mail strictly on weight alone.
Knight of Numenor
aka Mike Hockaday
Angmarth
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Oisin » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:28 pm

Kage wrote:I guess I don't see what weight has to do with anything. Is that what we are using to consider armor encumbering?

That's what encumbrance is, because well made armour of any sort will not effect your range of motion.
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Kage » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:03 am

Azon mail was killed by a gauge change if I remember right. Maybe weight limits should be added instead.
Kage
Ebonhold
Coffee with Kage
Kage
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Big King Jimmy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:05 am

Weight mins wouldn't do what you think they'd do. You can't say "metal armor should weight at least X amount." Because your bracer will weigh less than my bracer will weigh less than your chest piece will weigh less than my chest piece.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Kage » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:09 am

Essentially my argument was that any amount of weight will be encumbering to some degree. Some more than others. It just didn't come out that way.
Kage
Ebonhold
Coffee with Kage
Kage
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:19 am

Though Ti weighs only a bit over half of the weight of steel, it is still heavier than leather. Because armor only gives one extra hit, no matter if it's leather, chain, or plate. I would be in favor of allowing Ti made armor, only because it is at least as ecumbering as leather, and gives the exact same advantage in the game.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Forkbeard » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:04 pm

I say no.
Weighing in as a pro iron monger again:
Oisin is totaly right. Ti weigh half what steel does. It's also hard to work with and expensive.
Why would you want this?
Because it's lighter. You're a douche.
No way, Jose.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Angmarth » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:22 pm

If I had my way, all body armor would be required to be metal. Since that isn't going to happen, the best I can do is attempt to keep further slippage down the slope. So no to Titanium.
Knight of Numenor
aka Mike Hockaday
Angmarth
Ninja
Ninja

Postby calebmonkey » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:00 am

Well I don't see the point of Ti armor,if you want light armor make the cloth/leather brigadine that's so popular these days,if you want plate get plate
if you wanna say "my armor cost me $1,800 dollars in materials" have your steel plate trimmed and etched in gold
Lt. Chavez B.o.F.
Squire to Sir Chance the Tall
all around nice guy

Forkbeard wrote:When new people demand that I explain the wierd parts of our rules and they do not like my answers, I just tell them that the majority of the smart people in this sport said so, that's why. Shut up and fight.
calebmonkey
Hulkamaniac

Started Fighting: 1- 0- 0
Realm: avalon
Unit: BoF
Favorite Fighting Styles: single blue and cold soda

Postby Arrakis » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:50 am

calebmonkey wrote:Well I don't see the point of Ti armor,if you want light armor make the cloth/leather brigadine that's so popular these days,if you want plate get plate
if you wanna say "my armor cost me $1,800 dollars in materials" have your steel plate trimmed and etched in gold

Chavez, I think the point in this case was a guy already having some badass Ti lamellar from his SCA days and wanting to cross-game in it. I don't see why we need a rules change though; if the Head Armor Checker at an event wants to pass it because it seems armor-y enough to them, that's fine; they're within their rights as Head Checker to do that. That avoids opening up any worm-cans of new materials and crap.
Arrakis

Postby Kage » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:13 am

I would rather see someone in light Ti armor that looks awesome, then in some pocket brig. Also from personal experience SCA goers seem to be more uptight about historical accuracy then we are. If it was good there, then really whats our issue with it other than its light.
Kage
Ebonhold
Coffee with Kage
Kage
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:20 am

Armor is the one thing SCA is not very period about. I mean they allow plastic armor. SCA is a bad comparison.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Kage » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:30 am

Maybe sport wide. Locally for me however they are kind of picky considering there is a bad * armor smith in the same town.
Kage
Ebonhold
Coffee with Kage
Kage
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Arrakis » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:55 am

Kage wrote:Maybe sport wide. Locally for me however they are kind of picky considering there is a bad * armor smith in the same town.

And that's cool for your locals and all, but a very large proportion of the "armor" worn in the SCA is made out of old carpet, plastic buckets and barrels, hockey pads, lacrosse gear, and aluminum. Cut the "If it's good enough for the SCA, it should be good enough for us" ****.

Though I will say, my plastic Coat of Plates is lookin' way sicker than a lot of leather I see on the field...
Arrakis

Postby Kage » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:07 pm

I have never been to a large SCA event so I don't see much of the crap armor they have. I've only played around locally, and most have really nice armor, which by my fault I thought was the standard. So my bad; poor argument on my part.
Kage
Ebonhold
Coffee with Kage
Kage
Slayer
Slayer

Return to Rules Discussion And Development