Blocking a shot...

Topics For Experienced Members

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Blocking a shot...

Postby The Lost Celt » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:17 pm

This kills me...

recently had an issue with the local event we ran, told the boss I powered through a dudes punch shield and he took neither leg nor red damage on his shield.

Yeah, I fight primarily red/green, but it took 6 hits to break the dudes shield and I spun the shield at least twice.... the head guy's response was to just hit him harder, how the heck can I do that?

Likewise some of the folks here have gotten into the habit of introducing a sword in front of their shields when I throw a red strike, does it still count as red if I can power through? (i.e. they're only counting what it hits first, and disregarding the rest, even if the first block is entirely ineffective on their part)

I have a reputation for making safe weapons, unfortunately I can't seem to build one unsafe enough for these types...
Oftentimes I wonder how much better the world would be if more people drank bleach.
The Lost Celt
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2000
Realm: Pentwyvern and Rausumea
Unit: Camhalta Fianna and brothers in arms...
Favorite Fighting Styles: Glaive with short sword, S+B, daggers,

Re: Blocking a shot...

Postby Big King Jimmy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:55 pm

The Lost Celt wrote:Likewise some of the folks here have gotten into the habit of introducing a sword in front of their shields when I throw a red strike, does it still count as red if I can power through? (i.e. they're only counting what it hits first, and disregarding the rest, even if the first block is entirely ineffective on their part)

That's cheating, falls under the anviling rules.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Rasheab » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:07 am

If you power through with sufficient force, then yes, they should take it.
Hawaii: Manoa
Washington: Gondor

There are no staffs in Belegarth. Because of how they are constructed, they are really Pugil Sticks.
Rasheab
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Gondor [WA] fomerly Manoa [HI]
Favorite Fighting Styles: Long spear
Whatever is in reach.

Postby Forkbeard » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:29 am

I agree with Jimi about the anviling. People are always trying to block huge red shots with a sword in front of their shield, and sometimes it works. But if you slam thier sword into thier shield and rock their whole * world, it's anivling and they are cheating. However enforcment of this IS up to the interpitaion of your local honcho at practice when it comes down to it. If, for whatever reason your local group will not sit everybody down and explain how anviling works, or the douch bags in question just won't stop cheating, here's what I would do.
In fact , this IS what I do when people are overly anvilly. I look at them as if they are wearing a suit of plate mail and this is a real fight. i.e. I stop hammering at them belegarth style and only try to hit them in places that I know will hurt. I start throwing j-hoks and stabbing for armpits with hate in my belly. I try to sweep the leg and hit the inside of the elbow. Eventually I start doing **** I'm not going to mention becuase it dangerous for new people. I only hit their shield if I think it's going to be in a place and at a speed that will RIP it from their hand. I try to knock them down and kill them by pounding them into the ground.
When people fight this way( anivil tricks and other **** rules lawyer stuff), they are saying they want to play to the very line of what is legal. I couldn't argee more. I automaticly ramp up my violence level to match. I love fighting at maximimum violence more than they like figting at maximum cheese.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Loptr » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:14 am

Forkbeard wrote: I love fighting at maximimum violence more than they like figting at maximum cheese.
FB

Wonderful delightful cheese!

Viking rattBastard
Loptr
Gladiator
Gladiator

Realm: Acheron
Favorite Fighting Styles: Tappy Tappy
Seriously......

Postby Thorondor » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:30 am

Hands and ankles are another couple good targets. Takes their abilities away when they keep getting leg swiped or loosing grip of their weapon due to a red shot to the hand...and I have a couple other possibilities that I'll not mention as well because I agree with FB, they're unsafe for new fighters to even attempt.
Uruk-Hai Serpent Breed and proud
Victory though intensity, tactics and glorious death!

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 2001
Realm: Grim Sword
Unit: Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Recurve Bow

Postby Magpie Saegar » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:43 pm

But Thorondor, these people won't take wrist and ankle shots, because their hand and foot zones are so big!
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby Thorondor » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:59 pm

LOL! I never said the shots were supposed to cause damage :) Just make it so they couldn't fight back as easily.
Uruk-Hai Serpent Breed and proud
Victory though intensity, tactics and glorious death!

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 2001
Realm: Grim Sword
Unit: Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Recurve Bow

Postby Arrakis » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:30 am

Aim for their hand on their punch handle behind their shield. Typically on the centerline of the shield somewhere around 1/2 to 1/4 of the way from the top. Smash their fingers against their handle and they'll either take the red hit or curse and drop the shield to examine their fingers.

Also, tell them they need to take shots that come through with sufficient force.

Also also: Fake more. Stutter the shieldside shot so that you hit them when they're pulling their shield back from "blocking" your shot. Stutter to the sword side and just blast their arm when they retract the shield after the abortive "block".
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby varadin » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:53 am

Fodder, we got ways of dealing with people just point um out ill be at the next einherjar, ill admit halo reach had me up late on saturday so i was asleep.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby Dacian » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:44 pm

Dude, when you came down to ktown, I didn't see anything close to a light shot from your spears or anything. Wished my work schedule permitted me to Einjerjar more than it has been, but ktowners are always down to bring the hurt. Just point some mofos out. ;)
Kyulick Division of the War Machine

Tiercel wrote:Sometimes I stay on my knees for so long, I forget, and have to leave them both down.
Dacian
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 6-1997
Realm: Khatovar
Unit: Kyulicks
Favorite Fighting Styles: Thunder and Lightening.

Postby The Lost Celt » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:44 pm

What I'm seeing a bit of an issue with is the people raising the shield/sword to block my blows properly and considering the first thing it hit to have nullified the effect, even though they couldn't effectively block/parry.

Sword in front of the shield before I deliver a red hit somehow nullifies the red, even if I make their shield hit the dirt (and believe me, it's much easier to stab the crap out of someone before they drop their shields)

Anyhow thanks for the comments Var/Dac - you both know I have a wierd thing for polarms, though suffice to say although I have a reputation for fighting/building polearms, the way I built them it seems there's not much difference between meduim/hard shots so I'm at a bit of a conundrum between building weapons too safe and upping the bar and having a weapon fail, YMMV, the tools in question only raise that bar despite new tech, FWIW...
Oftentimes I wonder how much better the world would be if more people drank bleach.
The Lost Celt
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2000
Realm: Pentwyvern and Rausumea
Unit: Camhalta Fianna and brothers in arms...
Favorite Fighting Styles: Glaive with short sword, S+B, daggers,

Return to Rules Discussion And Development