Jav flex

Topics For Experienced Members

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Jav flex

Postby Forkbeard » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:30 am

I know javs are only allowed to flex 90 degrees.
How the **** do we measure that?
At sam Hain, Isk started checking jav's for flex. Since he was the guy we got to do the job, we didn't second guess him. I don't believe in that, it's like arguing with a herald.
But he fial all the **** javlins for flex but 4. I think EVERY edhellen jav at the event failed. For flex.
I have never heard of such a thing. I think he was testing them wrong, grabing the jav by the pommel and swinging it to make it flex. Doing this, brand new Edhellen javs all failed. This CANNOT be how you guys test them at Ocfest and Arm. There wouldn't be any javs on the field, anywhere.
Whats the deal?
Do javs ever get tested for flex? Do they need to be?
Is the flex rule on them even valid?
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Re: Jav flex

Postby Elebrim » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:52 am

Usually the flex test for javelins is like a flex test for large red or green weapons - grabbing the weapon with a reasonable grip on the handle and taking a few test swings to see how far it bends. Just gripping it at the pommel and checking it for flex that way will not provide an accurate gauge of the core flexing, but rather the pommel flexing.
Templar Draconis Kestevara
Elebrim
Hero
Hero

Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara

Postby Sir Par » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:47 am

ALWAYS test the way they're going to be used. Nobody holds it by the pommel and expects to get kills.
16th Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Brotherhood of the Falcon
Order of the Gilded Owl
Go Team 4!
Member of the Church of Daraith
Humility: Its pretty much the only thing I'm NOT good at.
Derian wrote:Well, ****. Par is right.
Sir Par
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Aug 2004
Realm: Rath
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Sheild
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Isk » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:52 am

I am very interested in the outcome of this discussion and will adjust accordingly. I have always flex tested a jav the same way I'd initially test a min red, I put one hand just above the pommel and one hand about 12" up, swing and stop abruptly. If the jav bends over more than 90 degrees I would fail it for flex. If a red is close to 45 I'll test it over a shield, leg or shoulder. Personally, I don't keep javs that flex over 90 degrees off of our practice field because they are, IMO, even safer and we haven't had anyone trying to make fencing-style 90 degree stabs.

Par, if I understand you right, you'd try to flex it 90 degrees holding one hand in about the middle so only the last two feet or so would be tested? That could solve the weight issue as 3/8" core javs would pass fine.
http://www.antirdearg.com
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
-- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

I don't have hobbies, I'm just developing a robust post-apocalyptic survival skillset.
Isk
Berserker
Berserker

Realm: An Tir Dearg
Unit: Deshi
Favorite Fighting Styles: Foam Coated Death

Postby bo1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:15 pm

flex test for reds and blues, for me is. i first give it a wiggle test by hulding the handle. this lets me get a good guess on the flex, so i am not using the real test for 500 weapons a day. real test is to hit the edge of a shield with the lowest part of the striking surface or haft padding. then have a judge look at how far the weapon flexes. this tests how much the weapon will flex in game type conditions.

for javes, i just wiggle them pretty hard with both hands near the pommel. i cant remember if i have ever failed one for flex. remember 90* is a long freaking way. i wasnt there, and this is no knock against whoever was testing them, but i would bet theyforgot and testing at the 45* for regular weapons.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Sir Par » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:45 pm

Bo's right, thats how you test stuff. And yes Isk that is how you should test a Jav. 90 degrees is a right angle, gotta remember that. You ALWAYS check every weapon like its going to be used, not like you're trying to fail it. Cuz I could fail any weapon i pick up if I tired hard enough.
16th Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Brotherhood of the Falcon
Order of the Gilded Owl
Go Team 4!
Member of the Church of Daraith
Humility: Its pretty much the only thing I'm NOT good at.
Derian wrote:Well, ****. Par is right.
Sir Par
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Aug 2004
Realm: Rath
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Sheild
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Isk » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:11 pm

Par, as we have discussed this further in the max jav weight thread, I am inclined to think that may be the whole issue. I may have been putting a little too much 'Nash' into whipping it since the observers agreed all the 3/8" javs flexed past 90 and the consensus seems to be that they should be fine for flex.
http://www.antirdearg.com
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
-- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

I don't have hobbies, I'm just developing a robust post-apocalyptic survival skillset.
Isk
Berserker
Berserker

Realm: An Tir Dearg
Unit: Deshi
Favorite Fighting Styles: Foam Coated Death

Return to Rules Discussion And Development