Blue weapon weight minimums...

Topics For Experienced Members

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Re: Blue weapon weight minimums...

Postby Sir Par » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:08 am

I totally get what you're saying. It just trying to go for any kind of a realism argument about our flails is kind of a joke.
16th Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Brotherhood of the Falcon
Order of the Gilded Owl
Go Team 4!
Member of the Church of Daraith
Humility: Its pretty much the only thing I'm NOT good at.
Derian wrote:Well, ****. Par is right.
Sir Par
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Aug 2004
Realm: Rath
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Sheild
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Todo » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:58 am

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone when I say that I'm not too butthurt about the realism of the flails in our game; the balance much more so. Flails are an advantage the way they are now, and if we weighted them down some I feel it would balance out their pros.
Akbar the Foul wrote:If only everyone had my sweet disposition, then we could all get along.

The Steak Jock with Python Arms
**** your petty arguments, I'm here to swing stick and look slick
Todo
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Stygia
Unit: Todoville
Favorite Fighting Styles: Hulk Hands

Postby calebmonkey » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:30 pm

Personally I feel that if we are going to raise the weight min. on flails,axes,maces and hammers due to realism then we should also modify the damage done by them. Because those weapons were designed to negate armor by crushing plate onto the wearer so that person couldn't breath,and a hammer or mace to chain would just crush whatever is under the mail like it wasn't there at all,since that would be accurate,and i don't think any of our armor would be effective against camp hatchets,let alone axes.In short I say leave the weight how it is,or modify the damage.

just my 2c
Lt. Chavez B.o.F.
Squire to Sir Chance the Tall
all around nice guy

Forkbeard wrote:When new people demand that I explain the wierd parts of our rules and they do not like my answers, I just tell them that the majority of the smart people in this sport said so, that's why. Shut up and fight.
calebmonkey
Hulkamaniac

Started Fighting: 1- 0- 0
Realm: avalon
Unit: BoF
Favorite Fighting Styles: single blue and cold soda

Postby Caleidah » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:18 pm

Honestly, this whole thing continues to strike me as silly. Isn't Belegarth's principle usually toward KISS? Don't we have huge discussions going on homogenizing limb loss and green/blue damage on armor? Adding complication won't help anything. I can see a potential for changing flails, but they already exist with different construction guidelines than other weapons. A blue is a blue is a blue, and putting this rule change through will only lead toward people making more 12.01 oz turbo swords that people would have the same issues with that they have on rounds.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Cade » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:49 pm

Caleidah wrote:Honestly, this whole thing continues to strike me as silly. Isn't Belegarth's principle usually toward KISS? Don't we have huge discussions going on homogenizing limb loss and green/blue damage on armor? Adding complication won't help anything. I can see a potential for changing flails, but they already exist with different construction guidelines than other weapons. A blue is a blue is a blue, and putting this rule change through will only lead toward people making more 12.01 oz turbo swords that people would have the same issues with that they have on rounds.

But how much more complication would it really add?

The armor rules already exist for weapons that ignore armor. We call them reds.

How hard would it really be to add a crushing damage color that ignored armor? Not very. I'm not saying we should do it, but its not like we would be adding on different attributes for different kinds of armor here...

My point is that i don't think adding something to the rules that makes it a little bit more complex should be off the table...we just have to be careful as to how we go about doing it so that it doesn't slow down the flow of battle.
Cade
Brute
Brute

Realm: Nomad
Unit: Southern Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Playing Dead

Postby Big King Jimmy » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:33 pm

While we're at it, let's make non sword reds min 36"

Ah, the slide backwards.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Todo » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:45 am

Big King Jimmy wrote:While we're at it, let's make non sword reds min 36"

Ah, the slide backwards.

...What?
Akbar the Foul wrote:If only everyone had my sweet disposition, then we could all get along.

The Steak Jock with Python Arms
**** your petty arguments, I'm here to swing stick and look slick
Todo
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Stygia
Unit: Todoville
Favorite Fighting Styles: Hulk Hands

Postby Kage » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:03 am

Ok, I can't stand it. This tread is pretty much dumb. I already answered the original question. Now I see people talking about crushing damage and what not. How are you going to implement it? Make it like pierced limbs where crushed limbs don't count towards the death by dismemberment? I know I can still fight with a broken arm and leg. It's just adding another type of damage. If people want to increase the weight from 12oz to 16oz for one handed (blue) weapons then go along with that, but please don't add unnecessary crap to the rule set. KISS, is the way it should be all this would do is just complicate the system more. Some like the idea others hate it. People hate having to describe green damage to new fighters; what do you think adding something like crushing damage would do?
Kage
21st Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Ebonhold
Coffee with Kage
Kage
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Ebonhold

Postby calebmonkey » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:13 pm

I'm against changing blues at all.It's a dumb move in my opinion, and it looks to me like it's a big party where everyone's **** on non sword blues.If we are going to require the extra weight at the tip because the weapon isn't weighted realistically then we need to make the damage more realistic.
Lt. Chavez B.o.F.
Squire to Sir Chance the Tall
all around nice guy

Forkbeard wrote:When new people demand that I explain the wierd parts of our rules and they do not like my answers, I just tell them that the majority of the smart people in this sport said so, that's why. Shut up and fight.
calebmonkey
Hulkamaniac

Started Fighting: 1- 0- 0
Realm: avalon
Unit: BoF
Favorite Fighting Styles: single blue and cold soda

Postby Forkbeard » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:34 pm

Ooo, a few differnt answers.
Changing damage will not work. THere is no way, in combat, to teel the diiference by feel between different weapons. This requires calling damage. Beyond the minmal calling of red and green, we are not going to see more calling of damage in Bel. That **** just ain't ever gonna pass. No body wants it. Foy you, Cal , to try to add it on to this idea in order to derail the idea is a weak attempt to dilude the issue. It is not required for this idea to work. Dagorhir has weapon balance rules that work just fine.
I think that if we required mass weapons to balance at half their length, 36" non sword reds would be great to bring back. I real axe or hammer that is 36" long will cleave through or smash in about anything.
And Kage. Get the **** over yourself. You think becuase YOU answered a question it settles things? Like we're all waiting for wisdom to come down from Mt Kage. Seesh.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Kage » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:25 pm

Since asked; no me answering a question doesn't mean the thread should close. My point was this thread should have just stayed in the rules questions forum where it started. You know me. You've met me in person many many many times and YOU KNOW I'm not that conceited. Also this thread was derailed long long before Caleb ever said much of anything in it.

However what we do agree on is that changing the damage will not work. Making mass weapons do more damage will not work. Increasing the weight minimum of weapons could work, but singling out one weapon in my opinion isn't going to work; it's all blues or non at all. My lightest blue is 22oz. so I could really careless if the weight requirement is increased. I would however vote against any rule that was brought to the table to change where a weapon can and cannot balance. Bringing back dimensions for swords as well as a minimum weight would pretty much kill any quicktube out there, but I don't see this working as intended either people will still find away to have their bat.
Kage
Ebonhold
Coffee with Kage
Kage
Slayer
Slayer

Postby No'Vak » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:57 am

Kage wrote: Increasing the weight minimum of weapons could work, but singling out one weapon in my opinion isn't going to work; it's all blues or non at all.

What about length requirements for flails? Thats one that is singled out for balance.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Kage » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:47 pm

No'Vak wrote:
Kage wrote: Increasing the weight minimum of weapons could work, but singling out one weapon in my opinion isn't going to work; it's all blues or non at all.

What about length requirements for flails? Thats one that is singled out for balance.

Flails were singled out of a different reason and in this case the singling out of flails was warranted. Length and weight are not the same thing.
Kage
Ebonhold
Coffee with Kage
Kage
Slayer
Slayer

Previous

Return to Rules Discussion And Development