Punch Blocking

Topics For Experienced Members

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Punch Blocking

Postby Goreth » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:05 am

Having used the Search tool at the bottom of the page i dont find alot of material or posts on the subject of punch blocking. I have seen a member in recent threads depicting punch blocking as a method of poor gamesmanship. While i disagree with this notion i would like to point out another of his debated/closely related subjects.

I found this in the -Hand on Blade- thread:

"Our local interpritation of the rules is that you can grab your own striking surface, but no one else's. Half-swording is totaly legit. Why couldn't you do this. I used it last night against a guy from a fencing class who dicovered javlins."

Members, can i get some clarification on your idea of balanced gamesmanship? I punch block religiously. The, eh, Gauntlets are off.
Goreth
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 13 Feb 2001

Re: Punch Blocking

Postby Forkbeard » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:57 am

Safety realism and playability.
HALFSWORDING. Let me strat by saying I don't know if this is tje real name for grabbing your own blade, but it is the accepted Bel termfor it.
First, it is completly SAFE.
Second, in REAL lif, halfswording is a completly legit technique. It is illustrated in most mideval sword manuals.
Third, It does not interfere with playability.
Thus there is no reason why one should not do it.
Now for punch blocking.
Safety. Punchblocking is unsafe for only the punchblocker. This is why douchbags who do it need to wear mma gloves. Since it is only unsafe for the people who do it, it is not illlegal.
Realism. Punch blocking is totaly unrealistic. Even if you were wearing the best gauntlets ever made you still would not punch a real W handed sword to block. You wouldn't punch anyswords, that is NOT what gauntlets are for and that's not how swords work.
Playability. This is the reason hand on weapon shots don't count for us. If hand shots counted, our battles would last about 1/4 of the time they do now. Make hand on weapon out of play, we extend combat and therefun fun. Deliberatly abusing this rule, by punchblocking as much as possible and wearing special equipment just for that, is bad sportsmanship.
If you can't see that, it is because YOU do not understand the difference between good sportmanship and bad. I feel sorry for you.

Kreiger, if you're gonna call me out, try harder.
fb
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Goreth » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:00 pm

First, if wanted to call you out i would use your name, loudmouth.

Second, why is an orc talking to me about realism.

Third, im a Mauskalath and ill punch weapons all day... i absorb metal.
Goreth
Thug
Thug

Postby Goreth » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:04 pm

I dont need gloves to punchblock. Hope you dont have to find out why.
Goreth
Thug
Thug

Postby Forkbeard » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:22 pm

Oh, I thought you wanted to have an adult conversation about punchblocking as it applies to sportsmanship.
But I see you still an inbred nutjob. Take your **** meds, man.
Derian, either lock this or move it to GM, its gonna get ugly.
fb

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Goreth » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:23 pm

only one person is making this ugly. It appears youll continue till you have your bottle. Point is, ill punch block you. Youll get mad. Cuz its me with all the cost right? My hands, my choice.
Goreth
Thug
Thug

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:27 pm

I don't think Fork will get mad, so much as laugh hysterically when he breaks your fingers with a monster red hit....just the way the medieval sword manuals teach to see the hands as a target.

Can't hold the sword, can't fight.

Punch blocking certainly isn't realistic, but it has become a part of this sport. Do or don't; doesn't really matter.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby Sir Par » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:31 pm

Derian is at an event for the weekend. Please take it to GM yourselves guys.
16th Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Brotherhood of the Falcon
Order of the Gilded Owl
Go Team 4!
Member of the Church of Daraith
Humility: Its pretty much the only thing I'm NOT good at.
Derian wrote:Well, ****. Par is right.
Sir Par
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Aug 2004
Realm: Rath
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Sheild
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Goreth » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:35 pm

Tiberius, I dont punch block a red.

I hear Fork swings to maim.

Sir Par, already did.
Goreth
Thug
Thug

Postby Slaug » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:51 pm

I disagree about it being bad sportsmanship. If the hand is part of the weapon, it's legal for you to swing at it. So if you can swing your sword at my hand-on-weapon, I can swing my hand-on-weapon to deflect your sword. For the purposes of our game, a hand on the weapon is part of the weapon. It's perfectly realistic to block a weapon with a weapon. As far as safety, that's why folks are wearing those MMA gloves. Much like people who tend to get legged wear knee-pads, people who take a lot of * shots wear cups, and people prone to getting hit in the head wear mouth guards.

I don't see an issue.
Inventor of 'Is this a Shiv?'
Not allowed to bite anyone unconscious since 2007
#Slaugged
Slaug
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 13 Jul 2002
Realm: Dur-Demarion
Favorite Fighting Styles: Laser-Guns

Postby The Great Gigsby » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:58 am

Slaug wrote:If the hand is part of the weapon, it's legal for you to swing at it.
This is semantics, but it's important to point out, your hand is not part of the weapon. For the sake of playability (as Fokrbeard pointed out) and because it's a convention in practically every medieval combat group, the rule is "A Hand on a Weapon or Shield is considered part of that Weapon or Shield." Nobodies hands are a part of their weapon. If you can't tell the difference between "being", and "considered being" I consider you stupid.

Your hands are not weapons. They're hands. Blocking weapons with your hands is realistic; it's also a great way to break your fingers. It's silly that a shot that would disable an arm is magically deflected by your knuckles but that's the way the rules are spelled out.

I dislike punch blocking and consider it close to intentional head blocking when it comes to cheesing the rules. It will never be enforceable but I'm with Fork, it's poor sportsmanship. If you want to block proper, build a crossguard.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Forkbeard » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:37 am

Thank you giggles, that is exactly what I meant.
after talking to the people at practice, they have confirmed my feelings.
While 2 of the 7 I talked to felt that halfswording was probly cheesy(even though its not, Im bringing sword manuals to practice next week) ALL of them feel deliberate punchblocking is definetly cheesy and definetly dangerous to the user without special gloves.
Im goin to poll people at TB this weekend.
But once more, for the record,
Halfswording is legal and a very real technique. Punchblocking is a consession we make for playability and is in no way realistic fighting.
That is a HUGE difference.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Slaug » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:03 am

Giggles wrote:
Slaug wrote:If the hand is part of the weapon, it's legal for you to swing at it.
This is semantics, but it's important to point out, your hand is not part of the weapon. For the sake of playability (as Fokrbeard pointed out) and because it's a convention in practically every medieval combat group, the rule is "A Hand on a Weapon or Shield is considered part of that Weapon or Shield." Nobodies hands are a part of their weapon. If you can't tell the difference between "being", and "considered being" I consider you stupid.

Your hands are not weapons. They're hands. Blocking weapons with your hands is realistic; it's also a great way to break your fingers. It's silly that a shot that would disable an arm is magically deflected by your knuckles but that's the way the rules are spelled out.

I dislike punch blocking and consider it close to intentional head blocking when it comes to cheesing the rules. It will never be enforceable but I'm with Fork, it's poor sportsmanship. If you want to block proper, build a crossguard.

Your own considerations aside, for the purposes of our game 'considered being' and 'being' are one in the same on the field. The hand is considered part of the weapon, and so it is part of the weapon. As far as the letter and spirit of the rule go, an MMA glove might as well be a crossguard. It's also unrealistic that a foot on the ground can't be chopped off no matter how much you hack at it, a severed and mangled leg being able to take infinite punishment, and a warrior with his arm hacked off at the shoulder running around at full speed and ganking folks left and right. Belegarth is in no way realistic, as evidenced by our monsters and fantasy creatures. However, if your gripe is realism, I concede you that ineffably. It is in no way realistic for anyone without a brain tumor to try and deflect a blade with their bare fist, or even a gauntleted fist.

I thought the topic was sportsmanship. As far as sportsmanship is concerned, I don't see it as any different than putting your dead leg in front while you're on a knee and holding the live one back and out of the way.

Intentional Head Blocking: Doesn't happen much in Dur-Demarion. If it did, I would be livid. That is poor sportsmanship. The head is an illegal target, and forcing your opponent to make even an accidental illegal maneuver to convey an advantage which is in no way condoned by the rules is contemptible. If it ever became an issue down here we'd probably start a pool on who could collect the most teeth.

Half-swording: Legit. Also a great way to vary your range for no-zone infighting.
Inventor of 'Is this a Shiv?'
Not allowed to bite anyone unconscious since 2007
#Slaugged
Slaug
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 13 Jul 2002
Realm: Dur-Demarion
Favorite Fighting Styles: Laser-Guns

Postby Arrakis » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:37 pm

I don't punch block, in that I don't try to catch shots on my hands; I try to catch them just above and below my hands on my handle, pommel, and lower portion of my blade.

Sometimes my aim isn't perfect and I take a shot in the hand. For that reason, I wear excellent gloves.

Legit.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby The Great Gigsby » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:23 pm

You're doing it right. 8)
-Giggles