Missile Weapons and Sufficient Force

Topics For Experienced Members

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Missile Weapons and Sufficient Force

Postby eeach » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:35 pm

The Book of War wrote:1. Adjudication
1.3. The target of an attack makes combat hit determinations.

3.2. Weapons
3.2.1. Weapons which strike with sufficient force can score a hit and/or Injury to the Target Area.

3.8. Missile Weapon Conventions
3.8.4. A missile Weapon is considered to have hit if there is significant deflection of the missile head (>30 degrees). Once the missile head has significantly deflected off a target, the missile is rendered harmless.
3.8.5. As an exception to rule 1.3, an archer who attacks with an arrow may determine and call a combat hit when attacking with such a Weapon.

During my last battle practice, I received a complaint from a player about someone calling light on a rock. Rocks currently are rare on our field, and the rock in question was exceptionally light, so I chalked it up to confusion. But before I called the whole field in for an explanation of an obscure rule, I wanted to ensure I'd be giving the the correct information and so got out my BoW and scanned the applicable rules. To my surprise, I came away more confused than when I started.

I've posted the rules in question above. My instinct, originally, was to say that you cannot call light on missiles (at least not rocks and arrows, javelins are a little gray). It would seem, as currently written, that the Book of War disagrees with that instinct. It seems that even arrows are subject to the sufficient force rule as the exception for arrows only apples to rule 1.3.

So, I'm posting here to ask for clarification on sufficient force as applies to missile weapons. Can I call light on a javelin? A rock?! An arrow?!? Because I've got to say, I don't like the idea of people building 'head only missiles' so that they pass our sufficient force rules. I know where my experience makes me want to draw the lines on this... but I want to know what everyone else thinks.
Anastasia of Chamonix wrote:Horde marched to the field. Their leaders up in the air, adorned in furs and animal skulls. Women from camps chained underneath the platforms, fire-breathers & flag bearers ran about before of the procession. I have never in my life felt closer to being in a fantasy world. I will always remember that for a moment I thought so many things were possible.
eeach
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 18 Apr 1996
Realm: Stal Dalen
Unit: HORDE

Re: Missile Weapons and Sufficient Force

Postby Sir Anastasia » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:12 pm

The deflection rule is the determinant for missile weapons 3.8.4. You still decide whether the head of a javelin or rock has hit you, but sufficient force is for melee weapons only. You can still say for either of these missile weapons that it didn't deflect or that the haft hit you, so you are still the determinant. However, there is not a precedent for calling missile weapons light, nor should there be...ever. Not particularly clear from the wording, but the Missile weapons are under a separate category from the melee conventions.

TLDR: You are the determinant, but sufficient force doesn't come into play because 3.2.1 is for melee hits only. Use 3.8.4 is for missile hits determination.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Derian » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:16 am

Backing up Ana here. No calling light on missile weapons.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby eeach » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:59 am

Anastasia of Chamonix wrote:Not particularly clear from the wording, but the Missile weapons are under a separate category from the melee conventions.

May I recommend moving 3.2.1 into 3.7 [Melee Conventions]. It seems the easiest way to make this clarification in our rule set. Or, alternatively, adding wording to 3.8.4 stating that it is an exception to 3.2.1 could serve as clarification.
Anastasia of Chamonix wrote:Horde marched to the field. Their leaders up in the air, adorned in furs and animal skulls. Women from camps chained underneath the platforms, fire-breathers & flag bearers ran about before of the procession. I have never in my life felt closer to being in a fantasy world. I will always remember that for a moment I thought so many things were possible.
eeach
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 18 Apr 1996
Realm: Stal Dalen
Unit: HORDE

Return to Rules Discussion And Development